Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Nvidia 780 6GB?

Just noticed nvidia have released a 6Gb version of the 780. Do you think this will improve Xplane performance over 3GB?

I was wondering same thing a couple of days ago. My GTX680 3 GB is being constantly tortured by X-Plane. MSI Afterburner often reporting VRAM usage of 3.5 - 4 GB (some kind of memory swapping i guess?).

it would be great to hear from simmers that swapped their 2-3 GB for 6 GB card.

Regards,

Radek

I am running a GTX770 with 4GB and it handles it very well for substantially less money.

John

John Wingold

Just noticed nvidia have released a 6Gb version of the 780. Do you think this will improve Xplane performance over 3GB?

That depends on what card you are updating from. I traded in a GTX770-4G for the GTX-780 6GB card. I did not notice a huge increase in frames(3-5) but I was able to crank most of my setting to max with out noticing very much of a frame rate loss !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I am going for one of those 6GB GTX 780 cards to with my new rig on order  ... mostly to have a little headroom for the coming years. And I expect to see quite some noticeable improvements as I am coming from an almost 4 year old GTX570 (1.5 GB RAM) system ...

I am going for one of those 6GB GTX 780 cards to with my new rig on order  ... mostly to have a little headroom for the coming years. And I expect to see quite some noticeable improvements as I am coming from an almost 4 year old GTX570 (1.5 GB RAM) system ...

Please can you share your findings with us. I too have an old card (ATI 5870) and would love to know what kind of improvement this would make. I have been eyeing this card for the past few weeks. Cheers!

hey did you go for the upgrade?

hey did you go for the upgrade?

Well, it was an entire new developer / simming machine .. and part of it is indeed an 780GTX with 6GB ... And yes, it works very well!

Well, it was an entire new developer / simming machine .. and part of it is indeed an 780GTX with 6GB ... And yes, it works very well!

Do you have any experience with microstutters in HDR mode? I can't seem to get rid of those while I am locked at 30 fps via driver ("Adaptive VSYNC").

Try this: crank up the objects slider to "extreme" and LOD to "high", and take a fast jet to fly low over a  crowded area, such as Brooklyn for example. 

I get 30fps with the 6GB 780GTX (even a stock overclocked one from ASUS), BUT I also get microstutters, every few seconds, which totally ruin the experience.

I will have to try different VSYNC options, also leaving VSYNC off, which has other disadvantages.

Microstutters have been haunting me since 2010 and still with FSX...

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Nave never looked at "micro stutters" (did not even think about them) ... yeah, maybe they are there, but as I am not seeing XP10 as an FPS game, I am much more concerned about the visual content

(which I develop) than having ultra smooth rendering (which is definitely not always possible with a sim of this complexity, and extremely varying visual content ... where especially the latter can lead to very different FPS results). I am even one of those, who are completely fine with 14-15 FPS (of course, I don#t mind if its higher) ... as long as i can max out as many rendering settings as possible. So, I think its a question of taste too ...

Oh, and there might be differences in our OS too (I on Linux since many many years) ...

Do you have any experience with microstutters in HDR mode? I can't seem to get rid of those while I am locked at 30 fps via driver ("Adaptive VSYNC").

Try this: crank up the objects slider to "extreme" and LOD to "high", and take a fast jet to fly low over a  crowded area, such as Brooklyn for example. 

I get 30fps with the 6GB 780GTX (even a stock overclocked one from ASUS), BUT I also get microstutters, every few seconds, which totally ruin the experience.

I will have to try different VSYNC options, also leaving VSYNC off, which has other disadvantages.

Microstutters have been haunting me since 2010 and still with FSX...

I use a 4GB GTX 770 and I also suffer from this, in cities....

Does lowering object density cure the microstutters for you? I am not sure, but I think so - as well as switching off HDR. Have to test if VSYNC affects it (it typically does) on the weekend.

I created a new topic in order not to hijack this thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/449197-microstutters-with-780gtx-in-hdr-mode-wvsync-flying-low/

-

Well, how should I put it : X-Plane 10 is an extremely complex visualization environment, where there is no such thing as a "stable" FPS level. Because of the extreme variance between rendered content (depending on what scenery you use, what complexity/density it has) with the many different rendering setting combinations ... and the dependence on the variance between different hardware configurations (where insufficient RAM has different effects than insufficient CPU power ... or a bottleneck with the graphics hardware) you can get very different FPS results throughout even the same flight. This is normal with a flight sim (because of the above reasons). So, if you really "suffer" from this is (for example I do not "suffer" from it ^_^ ), the only chance to make it "bearable" is to go to an area which puts high pressure on  your machine (where your FPS drops the lowes) .... like for example KSEA airport. Then tune down your rendering settings, until you get good (for you! ... as its different for everybody) FPS (and little stutters) in that area ... then you can be sure, that at least 95% of the region will remain at or above the FPS you achieved here.

That's exactly what I was doing when I noticed the microstutters... doing performance optimization in the New York area. If you tune X-Plane to handle this, you can indeed have a consistent, stable performance, as long as you stay away from heavy hitting local scenery - which I do. Vanilla X-Plane + your mesh - that's it. Thank god X-Plane airports are easy on FPS.

-

Do you have PCIE 3.0 enabled? Default is disabled on some chipsets. Check on GPU-Z program.