Sign in to follow this  
noels7

Problem saving flight when using P3D V2.2

If only the fxml file is used to set the P3D2 state, then RC only needs to modify its handling of the extension to feed it to P3D2.

I can do that in FSUIPC -- just stripping the .flt from the end will have the desired effect. But from the original report it sounds like the problem is that RC tries to find and select the .flt plan itself. Does it?

The change to FSUIPC to remove the .flt when it is asked by RC to load a flight is relatively trivial, but it doesn't help if you can't select it in RC's file selection dialogue.

Perhaps someone can clarify this. I won't be able to run RC for a day or two to check myself.

Pete

Can you explain why P3D V2 onwards changed to .fxml format?

No. How could I see into their minds? Presumably they thought it better. Microsoft themselves similarly changed file formats for .PLN files between FS9 and FSX -- luckily JD was still developing RC at that time, so took care of it.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

But I do find it interesting that only the OP and I seem to have posted here.

I didn't post, because I figured this out on my own and gave up on trying to make anything work.  

Pete, It looks to me that in RC4, if you type in *.* under the file name in the File Open dialog, you can see all the files. RC4 will load the previous flight file saved by FSUIPC, but of course, presently it gives nonsensical results, because it is in XML.

RC4 will load the previous flight file saved by FSUIPC, but of course, presently it gives nonsensical results, because it is in XML.

But RC won't be reading FLT files in any case -- surely it only wants the .PLN file, which is in plain INI file text format in FS9 and XML in FSX.

The only part the .FLT file plays is that RC presumably wants to load it into P3D. Why is it complaining about a missing .FLT file when it really only wants the .PLN file? Or does it even want that? I thought it would have all the data it needed to resume in its own .RCD file.

Provided it doesn't want to actually check that the .FLT file exists, I can certainly make sure it loads the .FXML file into P3D when is requests that the .FLT file be loaded.

Pete

Maybe if it doesn't really use the FLT file, but just checks for it, then you could  create a dummy FLT file  with the correct name, but that's empty.

Maybe if it doesn't really use the FLT file, but just checks for it, then you could  create a dummy FLT file  with the correct name, but that's empty.

I think I'd still need to change FSUIPC so it discards the .FLT part of the name when RC asks for the flight to be loaded, because although P3Dv2 can't save FLT files it can load them if the .FLT part is given explicitly.

Perhaps someone would like to try it and let me know? I'll provide a link to a version of FSUIPC4 which has this change incorporated, soon ...

Pete

Perhaps someone would like to try it and let me know? I'll provide a link to a version of FSUIPC4 which has this change incorporated, soon ...

Okay. DLL only, just place it into your P3D Modules folder:

FSUIPC4934f.zip

Pete

jd informs me that RC does not read the .wx or .flt files.

"i don’t read the .flt or .wx files

i call a fsuipc api that initiates the app to launch the saved flight. it’s fs that is loading the .flt/.wx to start the saved flight"

Hi Ronzie

My apologies because this is off topic. I uninstalled/reinstalled  Radar Contact which was suggested in

a pm I received in an attempt to resolve the subject of this topic. That was 2 days ago and I followed

the usual practice to obtain a new registration key. Haven' received it yet. Is the automatic renewal not working?

Could you follow this up please as I want to try Peter's FSUIPC mod to see if this rectifies the problem.

Many thanks for your anticipated assistance.

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7

Noel Southam

jd informs me that RC does not read the .wx or .flt files.

"i don’t read the .flt or .wx files

i call a fsuipc api that initiates the app to launch the saved flight. it’s fs that is loading the .flt/.wx to start the saved flight"

Yes, as I said, earlier. This is why I don't understand the problem reported, ie to quote:

"when I attempt to resume a saved flight by selecting Noel.rcd file, ok a

dialog box appears saying that .flt cannot be found".

Why does a .flt file need to be found? Or, perhaps more relevantly, what is reporting this error where?

Maybe it is P3D reporting this?

Anyway, it does suggest the change I made in FSUIPC should solve it.

Pete

Noel:

If you reinstalled RC in the same folder and disk volume/partition, then your existing key that you had should work. Only moving RC or reformatting a disk drive requires a different key.

If you still have a problem refer to the pinned topic on auto-registration. If your e-mail and user name has changed, then registration will have to be manually handled.

I trust jdtllc.com is not filtered out in your local or ISP spam filters.

Ron

Registration problem fixed. Brain fades caused by nearly 2 weeks of World Cup viewing our time(0130-0800 hrs - YPAD)

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7

Peter

Installed modified .dll file (refer post 20). Problem still exists in that I am confronted by .flt file not found.

What am I doing wrong? Nothing I do solves the problem. Do I have to actually be flying to safe flight?

Do I have to create folder (profiles) in modules folder of P3D V2.2? Doesn't matter I still get the same problem.

I think I have lost the plot.

Further advice/assistance would be appreciated.

I wonder if your .dll mod fixed the same problem that Dan George was experiencing.

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7

Noel Southam

Installed modified .dll file (refer post 20). Problem still exists in that I am confronted by .flt file not found

.What program is reporting that the .flt file is not found? Is that the actual message? I don't understand what could be looking for a Flight file.

What am I doing wrong? Nothing I do solves the problem. Do I have to actually be flying to safe flight?

I thought you were trying to start RC using a flight you'd already saved! What ARE you actually trying to do?  You aren't making sense.

Do I have to create folder (profiles) in modules folder of P3D V2.2? Doesn't matter I still get the same problem.

Er, why? There is a new facility in FSUIPC which allows for Profiles to be separated. What on Earth has that got to do with RC and flights saved? Please deal with one thing at a time. If you have questions about FSUIPC facilities you need to ask over in the FSUIPC Forum, not here.

I wonder if your .dll mod fixed the same problem that Dan George was experiencing.

Dan George merely referred to your problem, thus:

The OP is not alone in this problem.

You are the "OP"!!!!  Now you are referring to his reference to your problem? This is getting crazy. :-(

I think I'll leave this till you two sort out what it is that is happening and what you are doing.

[LATER]

I have tested the facility RC uses to load flights into FS/P3D and it works fine with P3D.  So I now think you are mis-reporting whatever the problem it is you have got. It is certainly not related to the ability to load saved flights in RC.  The files you said in your first message:

Noel.fxml, Noel.rcd, and Noel.WX.

are fine and the Noel.fxml file is loaded when any program requests that "Noel" be loaded. The suffic .flt or .fxml is not relevant.

So, I ask yet again, WHAT is saying it can't find the .flt file? If it is RC then RC is doing something it need not do and JD appears to be mistaken in saying he doesn't need the flt file.

Pete

Noel, I think  I'm having the exact same problem you are experiencing.  I have tried saving my flight while in the air (as I usually do) and get the "file not found" mx you mentioned. 

I have to admit to being not all that computer adept and have waited on the side before installing Peter's update in order to see what (if any) success others are having.  I have to admit to not being totally able to follow the conversation with any real clarity. 

I don't know if I'm following exactly what you guys are thinking, but I can say that when I save an RC flight I save a flight at the same time by the regular method in P3D ( same as FSX)  and never have a problem reopening that saved file.  Does this indicate that the problem is not in P3D?  I don't know.  You guys are better at understand the computer than I by far.

Noel, I think  I'm having the exact same problem you are experiencing.  I have tried saving my flight while in the air (as I usually do) and get the "file not found" mx you mentioned. 

So the problem is when you SAVE a flight, not when you try to load it? If you read back through this thread you'll see that confusion predominates on this very point.

The update makes no difference at all to anything being Saved. It isn't anything to do with saving.

I'm going to butt out and wait till someone can definitively spell out what the problem is -- i.e. what you do, what EXACTLY the result is -- including what program is reporting what problem when.

I'm not coming back here for this. If someone wants something from FSUIPC , please come to the FSUIPC support forum.

Pete

I'm probably somewhat responsible for the confusion.  The problem for me is not when I save a flight as an RCD file so that I can reload and continue a saved flight.  My problem comes when trying to load the saved file.  That is when I get the "not found" message.  If I in any way caused the confusion I do apologize. 

Maybe I'll have time later today to start a flight and save it and will take a screenshot of the error message I get when trying to load the saved flight.

Dan

You are indeed having the same problem as myself.

Peter

As Dan (post29 above) I don't profess to be a computer expert.

In my original post I said the following:

Bold selections are additional comments or for emphasis.

I save file(flight) option from within P3D V2.2. Save path  for .flt and.wx files in Radar Contact options is set correctly.

(C:\Users\Noel\My Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files)

Rebuilt scenery db (in Radar Contact) has been actioned. MakeRwys.exe is updated and has been run (prior to running P3D V2.2).

Latest P3D V2.2 FSUIPC version is installed. (Version 4.9.3.4)

For some reason When I save a flight (Noel)  the following files are created: Noel.fxml, Noel.rcd, and Noel.WX.

No file named Noel.flt is created and when I attempt to resume a saved flight by selecting Noel.rcd

(C:\Users\Noel\My Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files)

file, ok a dialog box appears (within Radar Contact) saying that (Radar Contact - C:\Users\Noel\My Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\Noel.flt not found).flt cannot be found  and Radar Contact can be started from initial start point of flight plan in P3D V2.2.

As a result saved flight cannot be installed/resumed using Radar Contact.

I don't think I caused any initial confusion from my original post.

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7

Noel Southam