Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Problem flying Majestic Dash 8 q400

Does anyone with this model have the problem I have when flying it? I did what I usually do with a new a/craft, that is find out enough to start the engines then go for a hand fly around an airfield. This has worked for all my PMDG a/craft. However, this one has me beat.

I'm sure it's me doing something wrong but I cannot get it to fly level, it keeps banking to the left. I guessed it might be to do with trimmimg and tried using the trim controls but this seemed to make the situation worse.

Is this plane really so difficult to fly? Any comments would be appreciated.

Iain Smith

It'll probably be the rudder trim, needs about 5 to fly level at close to full power.  Centre console large button at the back.

Once trimmed it's an amazing plane to fly...at the risk of committing Flight Sim heresy i would say it's as good or better than the NGX.

It's a little like the 737-800WL in that it doesn't like slowing down.

Ian R Tyldesley

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Majestic Dash8 Q400 Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

The Majestic Q400 is one addon aircraft you really need to study, read the manuals, (or even better, get the Airline2Sim course), as it is different to anything else out there and can be idiosyncratic in some areas.

For example, I've learned that landing the Q400 is very different to in a jet.  you need to keep power on all the way until the main wheels have fully touched down.

As Wotan said, your "tilted" attitude is because the dash requires some rudder trim in flight  - the Yaw Damper is rather ineffective in this plane.       (One of the many things I learned in the Airline2Sim training).

Whilst I don't disagree with reading the manuals and getting as much information as possible this particular problem does sound like a setup issue. If I'm just looking to get into the air as quickly as possible then I can load mine up on the runway and without following all the correct procedures have the aircraft in the air and level flight within a few minutes. Have you checked in the configuration panel that you do not have a bias on the ailerons? I'm assuming it's not rudder as this would cause it to yaw left and not bank.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

It will both roll and yaw left at full power due to the torque (roll- from the engines) and p-factor (yaw- spiralling slipstream off the propellers)...they use an external fdm for this aircraft so it'll handle a bit differently than an aircraft using FSX's native fdm.

[edit - 1208z]

This will happen even if the controls (your joystick/yoke rather) are set up properly. About 8-10 right rudder trim units eases this quite a bit on takeoff (you can add about 5-6% right airleron as well if you like - just remember to reset that to zero before engaging autopilot).

-pict/xavier

I don't find the roll and yaw to be that much of a big deal compared to some planes.  If you spend a few minutes in the DCS or A2A Mustang, and then come back to the Dash 8, you'll hardly even notice your feet on the rudder pedals!  I had more trouble adjusting to the dramatic affect that even small power changes have on the vertical rate.   Getting a set of smooth and accurate throttles really makes a difference, because if you have to horse around with them on the approach to get the desired power, it will throw you off every time.

In most turboprops with non-counter rotating propellers its the same principle. The aircraft will react to power changes all the time, some are benign (like kingairs, dash 8 300/100), while others are rather aggressive, needing frequent retrimming (q400, i heard cheyennes as well and mu-2s).

The trick is to counter these changes by being smooth and gradual with power changes and control inputs. Adjust power ahead of time, never when it gets to the time you'll need it, and while doing so, counter with your ailerons/rudders. It takes a bit of time to get your "groove" regarding this. During the landing keep the power up and keep the approach stable - dont fluctuate in the airspeed or descent rate too much.

In most turboprops with non-counter rotating propellers its the same principle. The aircraft will react to power changes all the time, some are benign (like kingairs, dash 8 300/100), while others are rather aggressive, needing frequent retrimming (q400, i heard cheyennes as well and mu-2s).

The trick is to counter these changes by being smooth and gradual with power changes and control inputs. Adjust power ahead of time, never when it gets to the time you'll need it, and while doing so, counter with your ailerons/rudders. It takes a bit of time to get your "groove" regarding this. During the landing keep the power up and keep the approach stable - dont fluctuate in the airspeed or descent rate too much.

Rudder trim. Needs ~12 right for take off, ~8 right for the climb and ~2-5 right for cruise, depending on how fast you're going. You'll find yourself getting rid of most of that on the way down.

That works for me, but YMMV.

Mike

A couple of times I found the rudder stuck hard over. I run the control panel and somehow it reset the rudder.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

A couple of times I found the rudder stuck hard over. I run the control panel and somehow it reset the rudder.

+1 with SteveW.  I have had this happen on initial load up of the Q400. A re-load of the aircraft will fix it or, the quick and simple solution, if this occurs, is to assign a of key to rudder trim centre.

regards, Jazz

Thank you all for your informative and helpful replies. I'll try all your suggestions.

I originally posted this in the FSX forum as I thought this forum only dealt with FS2Crew related stuff.

Tell me, with FS2Crew on this a/craft does the FO help with trimming at all? Just a thought.

Iain Smith

You're right.  It would appear this was incorrectly moved to the FS2Crew forum.  Until your above question just now, this topic has nothing to do with FS2Crew.

I've noticed that this is not the first time the admin staff have done this. Perhaps somebody could tell them that this is not the correct forum.

Iain Smith

P.S. Still interested in an answer to my FS2Crew question above! :rolleyes: