Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

STAR By-pass FS ATC descent issues?

Guest byoung

Just wondering if flying a STAR would alleviate the issues with FS ATC descending you too quickly. I know STARs can control the direction of the approach, but what about altitude?Thanks in advance!Barry

Guest ssurjap

It probably would, but FS ATC doesn't recognize STARs per se. In other words, if the STAR tells you to descend and you descend too soon, you'll get FS ATC telling you that you are below your assigned altitude.

...but what you COULD do, is to ask ATC for a lower altitude just prior to BOD.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

I use Radar Contact 3.1. This has a flexibility mode that allows you during departure and approach to vary from the controller's instructions. That being said their crossing restrictions (not from your plan) appear to be fairly reasonable.There is a new version 4 in development.You can check their forum here on AVSIM for links and comments.

>...but what you COULD do, is to ask ATC for a lower altitude>just prior to BOD.>>BRGDS>Sven Sorensen, EKCHThe few times I've tried it, ATC wouldn't let you fly the waypoints in the STAR either. ATC seems to override the waypoints close to the airport and use it's own vectors. Matt