Sign in to follow this  
Magpie22

Chart Reading Guides

Hello,

Interested in learning more about chart reading, in particular Navigraph Charts. Would like to know of any quality guides out there.

Kevin

On top of that, "jeppesen" is mispelled :huh:

Brutal! But very true.

Read the post carefully.

On top of that, "jeppesen" is mispelled :huh:

Lol that really ANNOYED me!

Read the post carefully.

Sorry I was only joking. Did you have a look on Google though - to be honest it often leads to better results than posting on here. What about the charts do you want to learn about? Do you understand some of the information but not all? Or is the whole thing Greek to you? 

Wes

Interested in learning more about chart reading, in particular Navigraph Charts. Would like to know of any quality guides out there.

There are no guides specifically for Navigraph charts, but they represent a subset of the Jeppesen and/or FAA charts.  Take a look here http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/ for the FAA's guide to reading plates.

DJ

Sorry I was only joking. Did you have a look on Google though - to be honest it often leads to better results than posting on here. What about the charts do you want to learn about? Do you understand some of the information but not all? Or is the whole thing Greek to you? 

Wes

Hello Wes,

Anything that helps understanding Navigraph charts, all types. I understand some info but want to expand my knowledge. I did a search on google but I don't want to buy something that is crap if there is something better out there.

Don't worry about posting here, it's a forum.

There are no guides specifically for Navigraph charts, but they represent a subset of the Jeppesen and/or FAA charts.  Take a look here http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/ for the FAA's guide to reading plates.

DJ

Thanks ubersu,

I'll take a look.

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ifr+charts

It's a google search, but not mean't in a bad fashion. There is several videos on how to read aeronautical aviation IFR charts. If you want to read VFR, then search accordingly.

It's a good idea to not only focus on Navigraph, but also on official charts used in the real world as in my experience they're much clearer, easier and shows more information. Usually they can be downloaded from the countries air transport agency or vatsim. Even just google charts and make sure they're up to date if intent to fly on vatsim.

The reason I linked to video tutorials is because as for me it's more relaxing and easier to remember than reading countless of documents, but that might differ from person to person. And you're right, don't waste any money on learning anything related to FS as everything is free.

Yeah great info, I saw some vat sim guy doing YouTube tutorials, pretty good too. Haven't really seen real world charts, I'm not a pilot. I'll dig around though. Noticed some of the Navigraph don't seem to marry up between stars and enroute, I'll look for the free stuff, not knowing about some things on the charts is a bit restrictive.

For airports I use Navigraph. For enroute charts I use thus site http://skyvector.com/. I use to use Navigraph for enroute but now I use Sky Vector since it is free.

Thanks Michael,

I checked out sky vector, it is a brilliant site. I am going that way too.

Kevin

Hello Wes,

Anything that helps understanding Navigraph charts, all types. I understand some info but want to expand my knowledge. I did a search on google but I don't want to buy something that is crap if there is something better out there.

Don't worry about posting here, it's a forum.

Thanks ubersu,

I'll take a look.

Kevin

Kevin, charts can seem daunting at first, I don't know of any guide that I can link you to but if you have a sample chart you don't understand, I might be able to help explain it for you. I do not consider myself a complete expert however, but willing to try and help where I can. 

Kevin, charts can seem daunting at first, I don't know of any guide that I can link you to but if you have a sample chart you don't understand, I might be able to help explain it for you. I do not consider myself a complete expert however, but willing to try and help where I can.

That's a great and certainly use- and helpfull offering!

I'd definitely consider to take advantage of it Kevin as i also think that one or two practical examples may offer a most helpful, first general overview to begin with.

:smile2: