Sign in to follow this  
Magpie22

Chart Reading Guides

If you guys don't have one I could pull up one I am familiar with.....

Wes, if I get stuck I will take up your offer and send you a pm. I have topographic maps (many) and they publish a guide to help read the map, pretty important to know what your looking at. In the meantime I will check out the links.

That's a great and certainly use- and helpfull offering!

I'd definitely consider to take advantage of it Kevin as i also think that one or two practical examples may offer a most helpful, first general overview to begin with.

:smile2:

Good people out there Christoph.

Magpie22, on 25 Jun 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

Wes, if I get stuck I will take up your offer and send you a pm. I have topographic maps (many) and they publish a guide to help read the map, pretty important to know what your looking at. In the meantime I will check out the links.

Well done for at least trying. The topo based maps can have a large amount of what one of my instructors referred to as "static" - information that was not really critically pertinent to the actual procedure, but when read properly, assisted with situational awareness. I am sure someone else can teach you better than me, perhaps via those links. I never was a good teacher (read, lack of patience, I have worked on this over the years.)

Good luck!

I will check out the links.

a few more to check out for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7c-02va_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwvDVM-k54

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If you're new to flying, I would recommend you to become virtual pilot for http://www.flyuk.aero . It has a training program person to person for new pilots when it comes to operating complex addons, procedures, navigation, charts reading, air traffic control etc etc. Will help you a lot.

There is several other virtual airlines offering free interactive training programs as well, mostly in the US and Europe.

If you're new to flying, I would recommend you to become virtual pilot for http://www.flyuk.aero . It has a training program person to person for new pilots when it comes to operating complex addons, procedures, navigation, charts reading, air traffic control etc etc. Will help you a lot.

There is several other virtual airlines offering free interactive training programs as well, mostly in the US and Europe.

That is something that interests me, I have been on FS for years and would have been better off joining a quality program. I'm pretty sure it would have accelerated my learning curve. I've only started getting into charts, joined Navigraph not that long ago, spent my time before learning about the ngx(still lots to learn-great plane).

Thanks pete_auau.

Wes, I used the topos for bush walking, just trying to point out they have a guide to read the map.

Wes, I used the topos for bush walking, just trying to point out they have a guide to read the map.

They do indeed, but aviation versions tend to expect those looking at them know what they are looking at! But no matter, I am sure you will figure it out by yourself or with our help! 

EDIT: It is all part of the fun.

Yeah, you have to remember the market and medium for your maps here:

Printed maps for walking bush need to be printed such that experienced people can easily look at them and know what they're looking at, but simple enough that the average city sod, who really shouldn't be out in the bush to begin with, can manage to get back to the car park after they run out of water (because they didn't bring enough), and have thoroughly burned themselves (because they didn't dress appropriately).  That is to say maps like that are aimed a people with a wide range of chart knowledge.

Aviation maps are targeted more at people who have gone through training.  The very fact that you have to sit through ground school and receive instruction in order to be in a position to have to use those charts means you don't have to target the chart at some generic character who has no knowledge whatsoever.  They can learn how to read them in ground school.  Additionally, the printed versions also have a guide at the front of them (and occasionally just inside the back cover).

Since things have now moved more progressively to electronic formats, you simply need to look for the legends as a separate search from the chart itself.  Heck, even the FAA has gone digital (and vector, too, which I'm immensely impressed with).  That being said, they have a book specifically targeted at helping people learn more about charts and their relevant symbology:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Have a look there - it might be slightly different than Jeppessen (or other charting company) symbology, but it's close enough that you'll be able to tell what's what...

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah, you have to remember the market and medium for your maps here:

Printed maps for walking bush need to be printed such that experienced people can easily look at them and know what they're looking at, but simple enough that the average city sod, who really shouldn't be out in the bush to begin with, can manage to get back to the car park after they run out of water (because they didn't bring enough), and have thoroughly burned themselves (because they didn't dress appropriately). That is to say maps like that are aimed a people with a wide range of chart knowledge.

Aviation maps are targeted more at people who have gone through training. The very fact that you have to sit through ground school and receive instruction in order to be in a position to have to use those charts means you don't have to target the chart at some generic character who has no knowledge whatsoever. They can learn how to read them in ground school. Additionally, the printed versions also have a guide at the front of them (and occasionally just inside the back cover).

Since things have now moved more progressively to electronic formats, you simply need to look for the legends as a separate search from the chart itself. Heck, even the FAA has gone digital (and vector, too, which I'm immensely impressed with). That being said, they have a book specifically targeted at helping people learn more about charts and their relevant symbology:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Have a look there - it might be slightly different than Jeppessen (or other charting company) symbology, but it's close enough that you'll be able to tell what's what...

Wow Kyle and hello mate. What a reply!

Got your slant...lol

Even experienced people get lost, it's not uncommon and I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking of city sods when they were producing maps, not in Australia anyway. I have high opinion of people who bushwalk, it takes a lot of effort. You should give it a go, could come in handy one day if you have a misadventure.

Regarding aviation maps, I didn't know that the knowledge was acquired through ground school, thanks. But I live in the sim world so that's why I asked. Sorry about that.

Thanks for explaining the mapping system and the tips.

Kevin

Thanks Alex Adrian and Stephendoc. I will follow this up.

Hello,

http://bit.ly/1mho51s

See ya!

Hi can you teach me how to do that ....it's kind of funny :)

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Hi can you teach me how to do that ....it's kind of funny :)

Just go to lmgtfy.com and follow the directions there.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

Legends are available for both Navigraph airport charts and enroute charts. See links:

http://www.navigraph.com/downloads/navigraph_airportchart_legend.pdf

http://www.navigraph.com/downloads/navigraph_enroutechart_legend.pdf

Cheers,

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

This is the right info. I couldn't find it on the site (forum).

Kevin

There are some Navigraph Video Tutorials(72 I think) on their site that teach you everything you need to know about approaches NDB VOR ILS etc. and how to read them.Here is the list: http://www.navigraph.com/ChartsTutorials.aspx

Alex hi,

I've already completed some tutorial flights Leal ils rwy 10, Vtbd NDB rwy 21r, Eham ILS rwy 06, YSSY ils rwy 16r, Zbaa ils rwy 36l missed approach.

This is what has sparked my interest in chart reading.

Alex hi,

I've already completed some tutorial flights Leal ils rwy 10, Vtbd NDB rwy 21r, Eham ILS rwy 06, YSSY ils rwy 16r, Zbaa ils rwy 36l missed approach.

This is what has sparked my interest in chart reading.

Sounds very good!

Reading and interpreting aviation charts properly - as odd as it may sound - is one of the things i really enjoy every now and then while flightsimming - because even though preflight preperations may have been done properly, it still happens that i loose focus somewhere prior to final due to the huge workload taking place at this final stages of any flight - but being able to keep some reliable overview even then at this point, is really rewarding somehow ... and reading charts properly sure can help a lot to achiev just that so to speak ...

Okay, my girlfriend always wonders why i am that excited after i have landed, shut down the PC and got back to "reality", asking me then what was "that special" now ... Honestly: It's hard to explain, but well:

A flightsimmer's and aviation enthusiast's mind just is something "special" :lol:

Anyways:

Back on topic: Great that You become more and more familiar with chart reading!

Happy flying and landing!