Sign in to follow this  
Magpie22

Chart Reading Guides

Wow Kyle and hello mate. What a reply!

Got your slant...lol

Even experienced people get lost, it's not uncommon and I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking of city sods when they were producing maps, not in Australia anyway. I have high opinion of people who bushwalk, it takes a lot of effort. You should give it a go, could come in handy one day if you have a misadventure.

I wasn't trying to say that everyone doing it is some poor sod.  It's actually a big deal out in Arizona, and people get airlifted all the time (even off of mountains that are in the middle of the city) out of places they shouldn't have been because they didn't pack the appropriate provisions, or weren't physically capable.  I feel that it's taken a little more seriously out in OZ because of all of the things that could kill you out there, and the bush can get you in the middle of nowhere quickly, if you're not careful.

I, personally, spent a lot of time hiking out in Sedona, but always had a map and a backpack full of stuff to pack in and pack out.

Regarding aviation maps, I didn't know that the knowledge was acquired through ground school, thanks. But I live in the sim world so that's why I asked. Sorry about that.

Thanks for explaining the mapping system and the tips.

Yep - instrument ground school, to be specific.

I totally understand a lot of simmers haven't gone through instrument ground school, but remember the charts aren't written to be applicable to simmers too.  A lot of the resources simmers use were created for real world pilots, and only them.  Simmers have to do the extra leg work.  We shouldn't expect the FAA (or other agencies) to go out of their way for hobbyists.

Whereas other realms need to be applicable to wide audiences (park services cater to serious trekkers/hikers, and your average family on a weekend outing), the aviation realm is highly specialized with many barriers to entry.  As such, they don't need to cater to anyone other than their narrow audience.  That means you have to do a little learning on your own.

I simply intended that point to address the earlier commentary that "most maps include [X, Y, or Z]."  That's all.

I linked to the FAA version of a chart guide since I knew that trying to pick up the knowledge on your own would be difficult (and this is coming from a guy who HAD to learn that way: my neighbor gave me his old charts, but he was always flying/working, I didn't have YouTube, or any online resources...this was back in 93...so, I muddled through...)

Kyle Rodgers

Sounds very good!

Reading and interpreting aviation charts properly - as odd as it may sound - is one of the things i really enjoy every now and then while flightsimming - because even though preflight preperations may have been done properly, it still happens that i loose focus somewhere prior to final due to the huge workload taking place at this final stages of any flight - but being able to keep some reliable overview even then at this point, is really rewarding somehow ... and reading charts properly sure can help a lot to achiev just that so to speak ...

Okay, my girlfriend always wonders why i am that excited after i have landed, shut down the PC and got back to "reality", asking me then what was "that special" now ... Honestly: It's hard to explain, but well:

A flightsimmer's and aviation enthusiast's mind just is something "special" :lol:

Anyways:

Back on topic: Great that You become more and more familiar with chart reading!

Happy flying and landing!

Hello Wolke85,

Great post and what a passion you hold for flight simming and aviation.

This is what I enjoy too. Learning about this is a pleasure not a hindrance. The sim world where I belong is getting bigger and better, the future is bright. Whatever you are looking for I hope you find it.

Kevin

I wasn't trying to say that everyone doing it is some poor sod.  It's actually a big deal out in Arizona, and people get airlifted all the time (even off of mountains that are in the middle of the city) out of places they shouldn't have been because they didn't pack the appropriate provisions, or weren't physically capable.  I feel that it's taken a little more seriously out in OZ because of all of the things that could kill you out there, and the bush can get you in the middle of nowhere quickly, if you're not careful.

I, personally, spent a lot of time hiking out in Sedona, but always had a map and a backpack full of stuff to pack in and pack out.

Yep - instrument ground school, to be specific.

I totally understand a lot of simmers haven't gone through instrument ground school, but remember the charts aren't written to be applicable to simmers too.  A lot of the resources simmers use were created for real world pilots, and only them.  Simmers have to do the extra leg work.  We shouldn't expect the FAA (or other agencies) to go out of their way for hobbyists.

Whereas other realms need to be applicable to wide audiences (park services cater to serious trekkers/hikers, and your average family on a weekend outing), the aviation realm is highly specialized with many barriers to entry.  As such, they don't need to cater to anyone other than their narrow audience.  That means you have to do a little learning on your own.

I simply intended that point to address the earlier commentary that "most maps include [X, Y, or Z]."  That's all.

I linked to the FAA version of a chart guide since I knew that trying to pick up the knowledge on your own would be difficult (and this is coming from a guy who HAD to learn that way: my neighbor gave me his old charts, but he was always flying/working, I didn't have YouTube, or any online resources...this was back in 93...so, I muddled through...)

Thanks for that,

I know you have ALOT of knowledge and share it and help many people, your a good guy.

All environments have a danger element. People perceive the wildlife as the biggest problem but in reality most injuries come from falls of any description. About Australian topographic maps, they are very defined (1:25,000), not your average novice could read them, definitely not watered down. I've heard Military maps are often used as (1:50,000), less definition. Not all areas are covered with such good maps. Planning a walk takes abit of thought because they are all different. Apart from your standard equipment, always take a compass and map with you and know how to use them,never rely solely on gps, big mistake. Most important let someone know your trip details abit like aviation. I'm no expert but I have some experience.

As a simmer and happily in the sim world it is continually evolving, doing the extra leg work to squeeze out information is fine but sometimes you need a little bit of help and guidance to do so. It's been a hard slog to get to this point and I have no real world training, No complaints there. I checked the FAA chart

guide, good resource, thanks.

Kevin

Just go to lmgtfy.com and follow the directions there.

Many thanks Kyle 

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Many thanks Kyle 

You're welcome.  It's a crucial tool for me  B)

Kyle Rodgers