Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

How to select the right transition approach

Ok i'm looking for a good technique on how to pick the correct Transition approach for an ILS on the FMC.

Do i just select the map mode on the EFIS and scroll through on the legs page using the step button then go to arrival page and select the rwy and plus STAR and select random trans till they match up correctly?

Vernon Howells

Or you could:

1. Go to Flightaware and check the real world route for your flight, or

2. Look at the charts for the airport, and select the appropriate one (based on the direction you're coming from, for which runways you can use that particular STAR, where the STAR exit point is, and where is the IAP).

Cristi Neagu

Page DESC then forecast, and insert TL (ta+1000 in most case could be fine) 

And here we go again! :huh:

Vernon, you'd save us some time if you'd think about your questions a bit more or at least do some research before starting a new post everyday. I think the method to select and enter an approach, arrival etc. must have been covered a million times in this forum. Have you done such search yet?

In your other topic you were quite nitpicky about the decision height written in charts, so I assume you have gathered some reasonable knowledge about reading charts. Also you mentioned the tutorial 1, I take it you have read and flown it? The tutorial describes the procedure of entering an approach quite good in my eyes, even if it doesn't cover all methods of entering an approach.

Basically you know the last waypoint of your route and you know which runway you plan to land on. Have a look at the respective charts and select the ncessary procedures in the FMC.

If you want to check if everything is fine and according to the plans I'd use the MAP mode and scroll through the waypoints to check if everything is correct.

Just to answer your question quickly (eventhough Christian did already) - take a look at charts. You can't fly an instrument approach without charts.

For instance, if your route ends at lets say a VOR, which is your IAF (Initial Approach Fix), take a look at the respective charts of STARs for your desired runway. Now look for your VOR - in most cases there should be one or more STARs that lead you to your desired runway from that particular VOR that defines your initial approach. After all It's really like reading a map and picking the right exit on a highway - just with another demension added to it.  :P

Take your time to learn all that stuff - it took me around 3 years of simming to get halfway decent at it. What helped me a lot are video/written tutorials of entire flights, manuals and bits and pieces of knowledge from the RW and many different sources such as YouTube, DVD's, studying sites etc. 

I highy recommend Kyle's YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/scandinavian13/videos as he has a broad range of very well explained video-tutorials that cover both theory and practise. 

Page DESC then forecast, and insert TL (ta+1000 in most case could be fine)

Maybe this post is in the wrong thread. Try again whoever you are.

I'll answer for the United States (for about 85% of it anyway):

You don't.

STAR ends.

DISCONTINUITY (which is a vectored portion on HDG SEL)

Approach begins

Rule of thumb:

If you're ever possibly going to be assigned a transition, one of the transition fixes will be part of your route.  It it's not part of your route, don't bother with selecting a transition (unless it's a T-shape RNAV approach - then select the side of the approach you're approaching from).*

*There are, as always, exceptions to this rule of thumb.

I highy recommend Kyle's YouTube channel https://www.youtube....navian13/videos as he has a broad range of very well explained video-tutorials that cover both theory and practise.

Thanks!  :lol:

Kyle Rodgers

There wouldn't be a PMDG 737 forum without my questions haha

If you look at navigraph charts for STARS and APPROACH charts by having these two at hand how can YOU work out the TRANSITION for that Runway? Or do you have to select it on the FMC and check it on the MAP mode ?

Vernon Howells

If you look at navigraph charts for STARS and APPROACH charts by having these two at hand how can YOU work out the TRANSITION for that Runway?

Don't even need charts.  Just look at your LEGS page.

Again, as mentioned above:

Is there a point on your route (to include the STAR) that is a transition onto the approach?

Yes?  Use that transition.

No?  Leave the discontinuity and vector yourself.

It's really not a huge deal, nor is it a complex issue.  You don't need to have an unbroken magenta line from origin to destination.  That's another simism that I'd like to kick to the curb...forcefully...

Example:

BARIN ONE ARRIVAL (KIAD):

RIC DEAND COATT OGATE FALKO BRV BARIN STAYO TRING MIXNN

ILS RUNWAY 1R (KIAD)

MOSBY WAXIN [Runway]; Transitions: CSN, BRV

If you're inbound on the BARIN1 (provided the controller clears you onto the approach via the transition), you can select the BRV transition to the ILS 1R approach (though you'll need to upselect the approach's BRV listing up to the STAR's BRV listing so the plane doesn't think it's going all the way to MIXNN, and then turning back to BRV).

Kyle Rodgers

Vernon, you'd save us some time if you'd think about your questions a bit more or at least do some research before starting a new post everyday. I think the method to select and enter an approach, arrival etc. must have been covered a million times in this forum. Have you done such search yet?

In your other topic you were quite nitpicky about the decision height written in charts, so I assume you have gathered some reasonable knowledge about reading charts. Also you mentioned the tutorial 1, I take it you have read and flown it? The tutorial describes the procedure of entering an approach quite good in my eyes, even if it doesn't cover all methods of entering an approach.

Basically you know the last waypoint of your route and you know which runway you plan to land on. Have a look at the respective charts and select the ncessary procedures in the FMC.

If you want to check if everything is fine and according to the plans I'd use the MAP mode and scroll through the waypoints to check if everything is correct.

I pay particular attention to detail leave no stone unturned :) yeh done 3 turorials a while ago!

Vernon Howells

There wouldn't be a PMDG 737 forum without my questions haha

Somehow I have got my doubts ... and this forum exists for a slightly longer time than your membership.  :rolleyes: 

If you look at navigraph charts for STARS and APPROACH charts by having these two at hand how can YOU work out the TRANSITION for that Runway? Or do you have to select it on the FMC and check it on the MAP mode ?

Honestly, do a search here in the forum and I'd bet you'll find an answer for it somewhere, if not go google or get back here. As mentioned above this topic has been covered over and over. And that part of the question is not even 737 NGX specific.

Regarding the second part of your question; I'd say that you can varify the entered procedure on the LEGS page. If you need a visual assistance switch to MAP and use the STEP function to go through the waypoints. At least that's how I – not being an expert – would do it.

Again, as mentioned above:

Is there a point on your route (to include the STAR) that is a transition onto the approach?

Yes? Use that transition.

No? Leave the discontinuity and vector yourself.

Kyle, you just set yourself up for that one. Expect the next round of questions. :rolleyes:

I pay particular attention to detail leave no stone unturned :) yeh done 3 turorials a while ago!

Vernon Howells

Kyle, you just set yourself up for that one. Expect the next round of questions.

Questions are good.  Honestly, despite Vernon's apparent barrage of them, at least they're not usually questions you can easily answer with the Intro Manual or other documents.

...or:

When will X release?

Will it have 2D panels?

Have you considered [same aircraft the last 20 people suggested; or something so obscure, it'll sell maybe 20 copies]?

Can I be a beta tester?

Why isn't autoland working [showing an image of them shooting something other than an ILS approach, or no image at all]?

...and on and on...

Kyle Rodgers

Questions are good.  Honestly, despite Vernon's apparent barrage of them, at least they're not usually questions you can easily answer with the Intro Manual or other documents.

...or:

When will X release?

Will it have 2D panels?

Have you considered [same aircraft the last 20 people suggested; or something so obscure, it'll sell maybe 20 copies]?

Can I be a beta tester?

Why isn't autoland working [showing an image of them shooting something other than an ILS approach, or no image at all]?

...and on and on...

Haha spot on kyle ;)

Vernon Howells