Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Flight-Gear 3.2 coming - Missions and Rendering News!

Question

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 answers to this question

Looks indeed nice! Slowly but steadily. Apart from the rendering engine, I like the Canvas of flightgear for PFD's and so on. Now, if they finally implement transitions for terrain textures, I will fly more. ;-)

I like FlightGear a lot, but it's becoming more and more impossible to fly with it as it's consuming ridiculous ammounts of RAM these days. The aircraft consume a lot, scenery. mem consumption is off the charts, specially with the buggy scenery 2.0 (which one of the developers openly said he made the scenery team release 2.0 unfihished). Even the map is a hog.

I hope someday it's developers will realize that most people who fly a free Sim don't have a computer with at least 8 GB's of RAM. This is why I left FlightGear, because it was cheapper to buy X-Plane instead of a new 4 GB memory module. Hell, I was going to participate in the 3D modeling of some aircraft (mainly the P51D), but unfortunatelly I felt I couldn't contribute to a Sim which I can't even fly.

Nevertheless, FG is one of my favorite Sim's. Users should see it's "new" 777-Seattle, which is just supperb for a free aircraft: https://imageshack.com/a/pNDq/1