Sign in to follow this  
mickey_adams

Is DX11 the same as DX10?

Hi guys,

Im running a Win 8.1 platform on my desktop and i didnt realize till couple of days ago that all the fixers and tweaks talk about DX10 but what about DX11?? Are those tweak compatible with this version? If not, should i downgrade to another OS to use the correct settings to make my sim look awesome on graphics and performance?

I'll appreciate any answer and suggestions =D

Hi guys,

Im running a Win 8.1 platform on my desktop and i didnt realize till couple of days ago that all the fixers and tweaks talk about DX10 but what about DX11?? Are those tweak compatible with this version? If not, should i downgrade to another OS to use the correct settings to make my sim look awesome on graphics and performance?

I'll appreciate any answer and suggestions =D

You need P3D to utilize DX11 - FSX does not utilize DX11 the code does not support it - P3D updated the code to use dx11

Rich Sennett

You need P3D to utilize DX11 - FSX does not utilize DX11 the code does not support it - P3D updated the code to use dx11

Thanks for the answer! Well i'll move to Win 7 to use DX10 i prefer to use FSX =D

Win 8 supports DX11, DX10 and DX9, so FSX is covered for DX9 and DX10. You don't "need" any fixes for FSX on DX10, however some graphics glitches are cured with a shader modification.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for the answer! Well i'll move to Win 7 to use DX10 i prefer to use FSX =D

Hi  as Steve has stated your all set with windows 8 - I thought you wanted to run fsx in dx11

Rich Sennett

Win 8 supports DX11, DX10 and DX9, so FSX is covered for DX9 and DX10. You don't "need" any fixes for FSX on DX10, however some graphics glitches are cured with a shader modification.

Thanks for reply!

My system is running DX11 and the settings on Fsx are for DX10? (Preview DX10) so are you saying that i do not need any fixes? (Tweaks) to make my sim look good on graph and perf?

You can run FSX on Win 8 works very well. you can set FSX to use DX9 graphics which is standard. Then you can also use FSX in DX10 mode, which runs a little faster and looks a little better. But with DX10 FSX there were some unfinished bits and some runways flicker where they meet taxiways, there's a shader patch in the AVSIM file library for that. But some addon sceney and planes only support DX9 mode and in DX10 mode show up white in the sim.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You can run FSX on Win 8 works very well. you can set FSX to use DX9 graphics which is standard. Then you can also use FSX in DX10 mode, which runs a little faster and looks a little better. But with DX10 FSX there were some unfinished bits and some runways flicker where they meet taxiways, there's a shader patch in the AVSIM file library for that. But some addon sceney and planes only support DX9 mode and in DX10 mode show up white in the sim.

If i uncheck the DX10 preview box it go to standard DX9 mode?

Mickey, DX is a graphical programming language. it has progressed up to the latest version which is DX11. it is independent of the operating system that you are running and more to do with whether your graphics card can run it, most graphics cards are DX11 compatible and are backwards compatible so they can run DX9 games.

As time has gone by, with each newer DX number, more commands was added and the way that the graphics are created are more efficient. FSX was built at a time when DX9 was at the fore and DX10 was a new thing.

Now with FSX, DX10 starts getting a bit complicated. The way I read it is that Aces, the company that programmed FSX, was in the progress of trying new things with DX10 and added a preview, unfortunately Microsoft cancelled FSX before it was finished. DX10 does not work properly in FSX. DX10 was supposed to make FSX better by moving some of the graphic processing away from the CPU and onto the graphics chip. Remember FSX was built when Windows XP was the main OS.

Now the DX10 fixer that you speak of is one mans work to try and finish DX10 and as such patches many files that are not compatible with DX10. It works to some degree, however there are some addon airports that are still not DX10 compatible and as such will have black textures.

P3D is basically FSX revisited as the core was sold to LM. LM are working on progressing with FSX and as such can use some of the new DX11 graphics programming, however again it's not 100% as it is based on software designed in 2006.

With regards to your OS, You can use Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or if you are really stuck Windows Vista (Not recommended). All are DX9, DX10 and DX11 compatible.

I can't recommend which option to use in FSX. I tried DX10 but found that it did not benefit me. FSX was built to be DX9 compatible however FSX was never perfect. With regards to P3D and DX11, I have never tried it so I can't comment, however that comes with it's own set of problems.

So just to clarify, you do not need to downgrade your OS to run FSX in either DX9 or DX10.

I hope that this clears things up for you.

Mickey, DX is a graphical programming language. it has progressed up to the latest version which is DX11. it is independent of the operating system that you are running and more to do with whether your graphics card can run it, most graphics cards are DX11 compatible and are backwards compatible so they can run DX9 games.

As time has gone by, with each newer DX number, more commands was added and the way that the graphics are created are more efficient. FSX was built at a time when DX9 was at the fore and DX10 was a new thing.

Now with FSX, DX10 starts getting a bit complicated. The way I read it is that Aces, the company that programmed FSX, was in the progress of trying new things with DX10 and added a preview, unfortunately Microsoft cancelled FSX before it was finished. DX10 does not work properly in FSX. DX10 was supposed to make FSX better by moving some of the graphic processing away from the CPU and onto the graphics chip. Remember FSX was built when Windows XP was the main OS.

Now the DX10 fixer that you speak of is one mans work to try and finish DX10 and as such patches many files that are not compatible with DX10. It works to some degree, however there are some addon airports that are still not DX10 compatible and as such will have black textures.

P3D is basically FSX revisited as the core was sold to LM. LM are working on progressing with FSX and as such can use some of the new DX11 graphics programming, however again it's not 100% as it is based on software designed in 2006.

With regards to your OS, You can use Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or if you are really stuck Windows Vista (Not recommended). All are DX9, DX10 and DX11 compatible.

I can't recommend which option to use in FSX. I tried DX10 but found that it did not benefit me. FSX was built to be DX9 compatible however FSX was never perfect. With regards to P3D and DX11, I have never tried it so I can't comment, however that comes with it's own set of problems.

So just to clarify, you do not need to downgrade your OS to run FSX in either DX9 or DX10.

I hope that this clears things up for you.

Thanks voodoo101! your explanation is very clear, now i understand everything =D i appreciate it. Thank you

Win 7 and 8 do not include Directx 9.0c that is needed for FSX.

Fortunatly FSX itself installs DirectX 9.0c for you.

Just to clarify, Windows XP does not have DX10 or DX11 and is also not compatible with them. Windows 7 and Windows 8 is compatible with DX9, DX10 and DX11. Although they do not come with DX9 on first install, any game that is DX9 will automatically install it as Windows 7 and Windows 8 is backward compatible.

Does that clear things up a bit better.

As i can see now that i tried some configs based on DX10 with Windows 8.1 it looks better that my configs based on DX9 and windows 8.1, also Direct 10 fixer work great with the sim, the enb's work on DX9 and not on DX10 mode, should i go through the DX10 configs? I mean for tweaks, i would like to continue improving the realism on my sim

Although they do not come with DX9 on first install...

Windows 8 includes DirectX 11,1 and Windows 7 includes DirectX 11.0. Both support earlier versions but only as far as DirectX 9.1. They do not support DirectX 9.0c but FSX installs it automatically.-  However, not all applications can be relied on to install DirectX 9.0c.

I tried read all over the place about DX10 and then gave it a try, but I did not find much difference. Moving the sliders up a bit did not make that much difference and when I worked out the extra problems it causes, decided to run on DX9. In DX9 I can have Nvidia inspector sorting out my texture smoothing, in DX10 I have to put more on FSX. My frame rates jumped about all over the place. It was a lot of work for a very little return, that's not including the loss of some airport textures and lights (read Aerosoft)

To me FSX is an outdated base, it is a 2006 program that we are trying to run and look like a 2014 program. As we add extra add-ons that push FSX to it's limit, bringing in another unstable part is a bit suicidal. That's just me with my system. You might have more luck.

Have a look on youtube, there are some good DX10 tutorials on there.