Sign in to follow this  
kevin911010

ILS Receiver fail

Last night I was flying a from KSFO to KSEA. As I approached the final turn to line up with the runway for landing, I noticed that the ILS is not working - I have neither localizer, glide slope or DME. The LNAV flew the plane to the runway but off some 1000 ft to the left. Seeing as I was too close, too high and not lined up, I pressed the TOGA switch, come back around the same runway again. Still the issue persists and I had to land manually (extra challenge with crosswind and snow :lol: )

I noticed that the Caution light is also on for that phase of the flight. There are no ECIAS messages and the overhead panel is clean. But it just will not go off when I push the button. I am aware that some threads suggest the Cold n Dark panel state causes the problem. But I did not use Cold n Dark. I started the aircraft from cold cockpit from a state I made myself from the default one.

And by the way, I triple checked I have the correct frequency setup in the CDU Nav Radio page. The ILS frequency and heading shows up on the upper left of PFD as well.

So, my questions,

1. has anyone ever experienced a ILS receiver failure? Did I have some config wrong or is this a bug of the simulation?
  2. Caution light continues to illuminate with ILS receiver failure - are they related?

Last night I was flying a from KSFO to KSEA. As I approached the final turn to line up with the runway for landing, I noticed that the ILS is not working - I have neither localizer, glide slope or DME. The LNAV flew the plane to the runway but off some 1000 ft to the left. Seeing as I was too close, too high and not lined up, I pressed the TOGA switch, come back around the same runway again. Still the issue persists and I had to land manually (extra challenge with crosswind and snow :lol: )

I noticed that the Caution light is also on for that phase of the flight. There are no ECIAS messages and the overhead panel is clean. But it just will not go off when I push the button. I am aware that some threads suggest the Cold n Dark panel state causes the problem. But I did not use Cold n Dark. I started the aircraft from cold cockpit from a state I made myself from the default one.

And by the way, I triple checked I have the correct frequency setup in the CDU Nav Radio page. The ILS frequency and heading shows up on the upper left of PFD as well.

Hi, Kevin,

Most probably the runway you chose is missing from your scenery.  Since FSX was made, a new runway has been added to KSEA that is missing in FSX. I am guessing that you selected 34L.  The old 34L is now the new 34C.   The nav database in the 777 has the new information, and LNAV (and VNAV) will line you up for the runway you selected where it is now, not where it is in FSX.  If you selected an ILS approach, it will also autotune the frequency and course for the runway you selected as they are now, not as they were when FSX was made.  Open up the FSX map window, click on KSEA and see what runways and frequencies are showing there.  My guess is that 16C/34C is missing and the ILS frequency tuned by the FMC is missing as well. 

I often have the caution light come on for unknown reasons, w.out using the C & D panel state.  I think this is a bug scheduled to be fixed w/ SP1 and has nothing to do with your issue.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Since FSX was made, a new runway has been added to KSEA that is missing in FSX. I am guessing that you selected 34L. The old 34L is now the new 34C.

You're exactly right! I DID chose 34L in the FMC. I've never thought about the possibility that the FSX scenery is out of date with the NavDB. I'm relieved that it the problem is not PMDG :lol:

You're exactly right! I DID chose 34L in the FMC. I've never thought about the possibility that the FSX scenery is out of date with the NavDB.

ORBX Pacific Northwest scenery has all three runways. That's the only reason I bought it. However something is messed up with 34L. If you do a LAND3, touchdown is about halfway done the runway. This first occurred with the CS 757. Several months later is was the same thing with PMDG 738. I am pretty sure a T7 would go off the end of 34L and down the hill. 16R I have never tried. The two FSX default runways work fine.