Sign in to follow this  
AndySVW

Help with FMC and ILS landing

Hey together  :smile: ,

please I need help with some general questions.

In my example I use the capt. Sim 777-200 ...

If am wrong, please correct me ... 

When I use the FMC I want to fly a complete route, my problem is I want to make a complete route include the aprroach runway.

Here is the first problem ... How do we know on what runway we will land ? 

As I know ... the ATC will give you the information of the runway on your destination Airport ... 

So when I program the FMC before Take off ... I cant program the FMC with approach runway Vectors because I dont know on what runway I will land.

So for me the only solution is to take off with FMC ... and at the destination I will land manually with IFR to get the runway direction ... 

So now ... I want to do an ILS landing ... 

In the 777-200 of capt. Sim ... as far as I know ... you are not able to enter an ILS frequency and CRS manually as in other planes ... you can only enter it in the FMC ...

But here is the problem ... I cant program the FMC with runway vectors because I dont know what runway the ATC will prefer for my flight ... 

So I can never make an ILS landing with this 777-200 ... because Im not able to program the approach runway vectors ... 

How can I solve this problem ? 

Do you have any ideas ? 

I mean of course I can enter any runway in the FMC ... but it is possible that the ATC gives me an other runway ... and then ? 

So that cant be the solution ... to guess on what runway I will land ... 

And also the Time of Descent Point ... the FMC is not able to calculate the TOD when you dont enter a runway ... 

And here again ... I dont have a destination runway information ... because I dont know it at the depart Airport ...  

Thank you very much for any help 

Hi Andy,

You have a few choices -  Setup the FMC with the expected STAR and runway in use based on the METAR & TAF, monitor ATIS as you get closer and change the runway on arrival.  Make sure you have charts available (free online) That way you can modify the ILS frequency quickly and know what to expect.without being rushed.  The 777 (real & PMDG) will update the RAD/NAV page for you when you  select a new approach. 

Second option is to leave the arrival blank until you have accurate arrival information closer to your destination.  This is also done real world. The FMC does not need an arrival runway punched in to carry out the flight.

Third option is to enter your expected arrival runway during preflight and also setup the secondary flight plan for another runway, that way you can easily do a quick last minute switch. 

Last option (which is very important in the real world!)  The FMC is just a tool to reduce workload and assist in operating the aircraft more efficiently.   It's not there for the pilots to be heads down punching away at keys at critical moments. Always remember that you can downgrade to more basics tools. Go HDG select, V/S FLCH and manually vector the aircraft yourself or via ATC, enter the ILS freq yourself and fly the plane! :)  Shock horror perhaps even disconnect the automatics and hand fly to the runway!

Rob Prest

Thank you very much for your Help Flex, 

but there is a big Problem ... I dont know how to enter the ILS Frequency manually in 777-200 capt. Sim ... 

Because I posted it in an other thread some days ago ... I know it only from other planes ... you open the Radio panel and there you can enter the ILS freq and all what you have to do is to activate the NAV1 Button and you have to enter CRS ... 

But on the capt. Sim Radio Panel ... there is no Option for NAV1 ... and you cant enter the ILS freq there ... 

CRS is also a Problem here ... there is no CRS Button on the panel ... I cant enter the CRS anywhere ... I mean on a panel ... 

I got a link some days ago for a Tutorial ... and in this Tutorial I had to learn to use the FMC ... Im never flown using FMC until this tutorial ... And I know now you can select your ILS Approach with the DEP/ARR Button 

Im sorry im not a Professional Flight Sim Pilot ... that is the reason why I ask so much  :smile:

I mean learning by doing but sometimes I dont know what to do like in this cause ... when you have a plane and you are not able to set ILS freq and CRS on a panel ... 

Enter ILS freq. manually:

CDU - RAD NAV page - enter frequency/course into scratchpad: "mmm.kk/CRS" - upselect by pressing the line select key on the left hand side of the ILS field.

This was the Information what I needed ... thank you very much  :smile:

Thank you very much for the Video I will watch it later.

I know now how to enter the ILS/CRS into the FMC and yes it does work ... 

But I have a last question ... I cant hear this beep when I catch the Localizer ... In the concorde I know it is off ... you have to turn it on ... 

How can I turn it on in the 777 ? So that I can hear it ... when I catch the localizer ... 

Radio panel - activate the MKR there. And get started with reading those precision manuals ...   :rolleyes:

EDIT: The CS documentation may be a bit slim - look out for some RW documents on smartcockpit.com, for example.

Edited by olli4740

Radio panel - activate the MKR there. And get started with reading those precision manuals ...  

That's right. However...

You should know, it's not "required" to identify navaids listening to morse codes on the 777. In the video I did it and a real world 777 pilot "corrected" me saying it's really overkill.

Once any navaid is on the PFD/ND with its ICAO identifier, then it's identified. Done. No need to check no morse codes.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Andy may have been referring to the OM/MM/IM stuff

Same thing, no need to have them beeping during final approach.

If NDBs aren't even considered on the 777... those marker beacons should stay in the museum, where they belong! haha

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Thank you very much for your help.

I know im a newbie in the FSX world ... 

But I only fly in my free time. 

And again im not a Proffesional FSX Pilot.

I learned very much with the time. 

Maybe it has nothing to do with the real world ... 

But I know how to start a plane, how to land and for me thats it  :smile:

Im honest I have still to learn a lot. But Im too lazy sometimes.

I want to be in the sky to enjoy the sun and the clouds, to see the Ocean and some Sceneries.

So for me words like ... VORs, NAVAIDS, SIDs, STARs, Waypoints etc. is not important.

Because I use usuall IFR flights and I the Autopilot or when I am really lazy I use FSXpilot ... 

I know I should learn it ... 

And since 3 days ... I starting to study how to use a FMC ... and also it is the first time that I heard about Flex Temps or COG or TOD ... but I will learn it in small steps ... 

What mades me crazy for example ... I program a route into the FMC ... so far no problems ... and in about 35.000 feets I search the ILS Approach and I program it into the FMC ... 

But then I can do what I want there is no TOD ...

So I checked it out ... I read it in other Threads or the capt. Sim forum ... that the FMC is not working correctly ...

But Im very happy that you all can help me and that you all are really patient.

On other sites I dont get a lot of help because most of people told me ... at first you have to learn it all and then you can ask us ... 

So this is not really a help ... I have the will to learn that all ... but it is so much so I have to do it in small steps ... 

And just I said ... for me it is not so important to know everything because I only want to see the skies, the sun, the sceneries, the Ocean ... and I do or I try to do a full flight with the Autopilot ... okay to start and to land I do it manually or when it is possible an ILS landing ... thats it  :smile: