Sign in to follow this  
FlyinIron406

Default zoom level for all VC and Wingviews?

Hey all! Been a LONG, LONG time!

Just got back to loading FSX up on my iMac under bootcamp, and it's been running nice! Got the 777 and love it!

I've had one CTD from the PMDG_777x.dll, descending into KJFK from KSFO. Maybe a scenery refresh issue, though I don't have any third party installed, so I'm not sure!

My other question is though, is there a way to adjust or make the views more appropriate in regards to zoom (default)? Every VC and wing view is very zoomed in, and I have to zoom out a bit to see what I think was intended to be seen!

Thanks so much!

Kreg

is there a way to adjust or make the views more appropriate in regards to zoom (default)? Every VC and wing view is very zoomed in, and I have to zoom out a bit to see what I think was intended to be seen!

Press + - keys on your keyboard or hold the spacebar down and use your mouse wheel.

Default zoom here seems to be 70%

You can change that I think by editing the PMDG camera.cfg file, but I would not mess with it.

Quite simple to just click + and - to zoom in and out as required.

Or zoom in and out with the mouswheel.

Rob Robson

Go to your cameras.cfg file located at ...\AppData\Microsoft\FSX and open it with Notepad or NotePad++. Look for the "InitialZoom=" notation for each of the views you're interested in and change the factor to suit your needs. I usually write the default value on the changed line like "InitialZoom=0.50    //default=.70" so I can quickly return to the default value if necessary. I also include a comment line at the top of the file and note the lines that were editted on such and such date and time. This makes auditing individual entries easier. Note that each aircraft.cfg file also contains view settings specific to that aircraft. These files are located in your aircraft folders which are found in your FSX folder at "...\SimObjects\Airplanes\..."  

As always, remember to backup the file you're changing BEFORE you make the changes.   :}  

You may want to consider deleting or commenting out some of the views to ease the load on your graphics pipeline and clean up the clutter when using s, ShftS, a and ShftA to cycle through your various views..

Good luck,

Rick

Thanks Rick! I could do that for sure. I was just curious if something was wrong with the install. The high overhead view (first one you hit A to get) basically shows just a brown square. I have to zoom out, using the - key, about 3 times. Same for about every other view, about 3 hits of the - key!

To others, thank you for the suggestions. I do know about holding the SB and hitting the +- keys to zoom, as well as the hold SHIFT while doing it for fine zoom!

Also, anyone have any suggestions on screenshots. I have a mac keyboard with no print screen function. So, is there a program people use?

Thanks!

The following video covers this topic extensively:

To summarize, in order to get the most realistic view, zoom should be at x1.0 and wideviewaspect=true in fsx.cfg, regardless of the monitor.
I personally use x0.7 as it doesn't distort the view very much (and if at all, it does it only at the edges), and it gives me a better perspective of the outside for my 1920x1080 16:9 monitor. 

This WideViewAspect helped exponentially! Is it something to be checked within FSX? I thought I had it set up, but installing multiple things I had a few cfg changes! Then I had a CTD from an unknown module, but at least my view is better :)

Thanks!

Hello Guys.

Do you know how to stop the " momentum effect ", that keeps the cockpit view swinging ?

I have tried the aircraft config / MomentumEffect = False, but no avail...

Vpira

I was just curious if something was wrong with the install. The high overhead view (first one you hit A to get) basically shows just a brown square. I have to zoom out, using the - key, about 3 times. Same for about every other view, about 3 hits of the - key!

Something IS wrong there!

The first view you get shoukd be the Capt view.

Then a press of the A key gives you the FO view.

The next press of A the upper overhead panel.

And not untill you press A a third time, do you get the rest of the overhead panel normally.

Amd all views are at a perfectly usable zoom level....nothing like "only a brown sqare"!

Rob Robson

Hey 777simmer,

Mine sequences that way also, sorry for the confusion.

And, the issue with the zoom was definitely related to that WideViewAspect being false! Now all is well! Thanks!

May I just say that  the video is really really good. 

I stick all my views to around 0.90/1.0 (mostly 0.95) in all aircraft.

For users that are used to the zoom being way out you will immediately do it and say "i don't like it".. All I ask, is that you keep at it for a few flights and you will get used to it.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

777X punishes you for having a zoom like .90 because the chair doesn't push back like it did in the 747X. Your viewpoint goes into the headrest when you move it back.

Actually, that "wide view aspect" comment above is rather important. I have always considered a zoom factor of 1.0 to be "too close" for comfort, but then I use a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor. The same zoom on a 16:9 wide view monitor is not comparable, since you will experience superior "peripheral vision". Maybe this is one reason why some people prefer a lower zoom factor?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png