Sign in to follow this  
JughedJones

New to Prepar3d

In the settings you can set it to show the startup screen. It's off by default. This will allow you to setup the flight how you want before the full sim loads.

Also make sure you apply the hotfix on 2.2 otherwise you'll get crashes in the flight planner screen.

My biggest piece of advice is don't crank up all your settings to max because you've got a great pc and expect 99 fps and a stutter free performance. I know it sounds blindingly obvious, but the amount of folks I see writing, "I ran at max settings in FSX. P3D is a stuttering slideshow on my PC. It's garbage. I'm going back to FSX"

P3Dv2.3 is going to be even better :)

Hey Paul,

I will never fall prey to that bit of mis-guided logic!  I did crank up my settings, but I knew it wasn't reasonable. I had a terrible old creaky computer and was running FSX until two days ago. Yesterday, I got a new nice one, and d/ld this... and I'm already super excited!

Rich:

I know you said my affinity number would be different than 244, but it seems that the gentleman you linked me to and I have exactly the same cores running at pretty much exactly the same strength. 244 it is!

Now I'll use your settings, (lowered a touch,)  and the nvidia fix.. and see if I can't get some good stuff out of this!

Thanks again for everyone's help.  If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free! 

EDIT: Nevermind!

I have a question about the .cfg changes though.

I'm seeing to .cfg files.  One is listed as text and it's the only one I can open and change.   Is that the one, or do I need to figure something else out?

I ask, because I've had a real tough time fixing permissions in this 8.1.  I'm not used to all this security!   Thanks guys. 

Hi There.

If you right click on the one that's not listed as a text file and firstly make a copy of it and rename it .backup or whatever you want. When you have done that right click again and open with notepad. You can then make changes as described above.

Hope it helps.

Pete

40282618105572517s.jpg

Hi There.

If you right click on the one that's not listed as a text file and firstly make a copy of it and rename it .backup or whatever you want. When you have done that right click again and open with notepad. You can then make changes as described above.

Hope it helps.

Pete

Ohhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get it!   Thanks Pete!

Hi There.

Hope it helps.

Pete

Sorry, man... I guess I'm dense. 

There are two .cfg files, one that is listed as a CFG File, and one that's listed as a Text Document.

When I rename the one that's listed as a CFG file, it turns itself into a 'Text Document.'

If I replaced the 'CFG File' with that one, I'd have two Text Documents, no?   I'm sorry I sound confused, I am... ;)

Its fine. No problem. Here;s a screen grab of my folder...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c27cb24i42rvjb5/Capture.JPG

As you can see, the Prepar3D config file is still a cfg file, but i can open it with notepad and edit what i want then press save. That's it.

Don't rename the one marked .CFG. Just leave it as a .CFG file. You then right click on it and open with notepad. So it stays a config file but you can edit its contents.

I wanted you to make a backup first in case anything went wrong.

Is that any clearer?

Regards

Pete

40282618105572517s.jpg

Its fine. No problem. Here;s a screen grab of my folder...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c27cb24i42rvjb5/Capture.JPG

As you can see, the Prepar3D config file is still a cfg file, but i can open it with notepad and edit what i want then press save. That's it.

Don't rename the one marked .CFG. Just leave it as a .CFG file. You then right click on it and open with notepad. So it stays a config file but you can edit its contents.

I wanted you to make a backup first in case anything went wrong.

Is that any clearer?

Regards

Pete

Ha.. You're a saint, man. 

I feel like I have it now. It wasn't quite as easy as all that, but I got it done! (I'm having a lot of troubles talking to Windows 8,,, we're not friends yet,)

However, with your help and and folks like Richard et al, I think I've got a pretty good base going.  I just did everything that Richard listed with the NI, the affinity fix, and the suggested settings.  I got a quality 30-35 FPS over Portland, Oregon in relatively heavy clouds and a average rainfall.   There were some minor stutters, but nothing too bad at all.  

Considering I was using REX4. ASN, and FTX Global, things looking that good and smooth?  I'll take it!   

You guys are great.   I'm sure I'll have more dorky questions tomorrow, but I feel like I made a lot of progress with your help! 

Thanks a lot.

-Brian

No Worries Brian. The stutters are hopefully being addressed by LM.  Prepar3d has rejuvenated my love of Flight Simulator and i feel that things will only get better. 

Always here to help

Pete

40282618105572517s.jpg

Ha.. You're a saint, man. 

I feel like I have it now. It wasn't quite as easy as all that, but I got it done! (I'm having a lot of troubles talking to Windows 8,,, we're not friends yet,)

However, with your help and and folks like Richard et al, I think I've got a pretty good base going.  I just did everything that Richard listed with the NI, the affinity fix, and the suggested settings.  I got a quality 30-35 FPS over Portland, Oregon in relatively heavy clouds and a average rainfall.   There were some minor stutters, but nothing too bad at all.  

Considering I was using REX4. ASN, and FTX Global, things looking that good and smooth?  I'll take it!   

You guys are great.   I'm sure I'll have more dorky questions tomorrow, but I feel like I made a lot of progress with your help! 

Thanks a lot.

-Brian

Well done Brian - happy your up and running thats great news - good luck  :good: 

Rich Sennett