Sign in to follow this  

The 737 MAX Flight Deck

I am not liking the new types of displays it makes me feel that I am in the future. I'm going to miss the old designs such as in the 737ngx, 777, a330, etc.

I have to say that the new cockpit looks less inviting than a 777 or the new 747.   I don't really like the 787 cockpit to be brutally honest!   I know people are going to throw stones at me for this, but hey, it is what it is right hahaha?

One of the reasons that I have never liked Airbus that much was because it had a cold, plastic and completely impersonal feel to it.   Boeing was always different but now seems to be moving in that same direction.   I just liked the older style cockpits more :-).

Kind regards 

I agree with you

Must say that cockpit looks pretty nice. I certainly hope (with everything crossed) PMDG do a version in the future. I still like the cluttered old steam cockpits(727/707/DC-9 etc) but to the neat n tidy freak in me that really hits the spot.

My favorite is getting up to the deck of a bird where human factors clearly weren't a consideration.

MD80 anyone?

Well, the pneumatics are up here, but the crossbleed is down on the pedestal.  The lights?  Yeah, they're all over the place.  Good luck finding the right one.  I mean, the electrics and hydraulics are kinda grouped together.  The trim?  Good luck figuring that one out.  It's kinda clever, but at the same time, what?  Also, anything we couldn't find a spot for, we put over the FO's head.  Why not?  We already punish the right seat by making them the "designated go outside in the rain to preflight" person...now, we're just adding "figure out your side of the overhead, too."

Oddly enough, on the color theme, the MD went from cold blue (when it was the DC9 series), to beige (when it became the DC9 Super 80 series), to grey (when it became the MD95/717 and took on the panel accents of the MD11).

I, personally, hate the blue.  Airbus, old DC, or otherwise (to include the Tupolev celadon color...what happened there?  В Советской России небо голубое и так ты?).

Not so much a fan of the new 737Max or 787 flight decks, either, but I think I'm just used to a certain vintage.  I'll get used to it.  I hated the G1000 for a while, too.

Kyle Rodgers

Jeez Kyle, you're like a woman who's trying to pick the right dress when it comes to airplane cockpits.  :P

I personally don't care whether the flightdeck is blue, green, beige, grey or pink as long as it works as it should.

I'm a huge fan of the 787 and its cockpit philosophy - just about anything in that plane is state of the art and looks like something from the future. You could basically fly this plane looking at the PFD only as it has an integrated ND at the bottom. 

Airbus rolled out their A320 neo a couple hours ago and it really looks like any regular A320 with sharklets and bigger engines, which look pretty sweet by the way - kind of remind me of those PW's on a 777. I wonder what changes were applied to the flightdeck and whether it got the bigger screens. 

All those giant screens and still no EICAS.  Come on, Boeing...

Looks like they're combining the ND and EICAS on the same screen! I'm a little surprised they aren't developing this on a full motion simulator. They're going to have to do that anyway at some point. I would think doing it now, would put them ahead of the curve!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

MD80 anyone?

Reminds me of this video with all the quirks of an MD80: 

And since you mentioned light switches, here's some on the 757: 

Some planes really seem to have random switch placement... 

Cristi Neagu

Looks like they're combining the ND and EICAS on the same screen! I'm a little surprised they aren't developing this on a full motion simulator. They're going to have to do that anyway at some point. I would think doing it now, would put them ahead of the curve!

You don't need full motion for an engineering sim. In fact it will be a disadvantage (access to update equipment is less convenient and prototype hardware not packaged efficiently). There is no advantage in putting an engineering sim on motion.

ki9cAAb.jpg

(to include the Tupolev celadon color...what happened there?  В Советской России небо голубое и так ты?).

Not sure what you mean... there are some blue ones, but most, really almost all of them, are the typical russian aviation green. Also said to be calming.

Oh and the smell... the typical smell.

Not sure what you mean... there are some blue ones, but most, really almost all of them, are the typical russian aviation green. Also said to be calming.

Oh and the smell... the typical smell.

The color it reminds me of is what I've always called celadon, which is a green hue, but it's not the same when displayed on a computer screen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celadon_(color)#Celadon

Kyle Rodgers

The color it reminds me of is what I've always called celadon, which is a green hue, but it's not the same when displayed on a computer screen:
http://en.wikipedia....(color)#Celadon

Oh, yes. What's it got to do with blue though?

Oh, yes. What's it got to do with blue though?

Good question.  The color is one of those where I can't place it between the two colors (blue and green).  It's a lot like cobalt...is it blue or purple?

...more blue than purple, but some cobalt glassware takes on purple tones.

Kyle Rodgers

Good question.  The color is one of those where I can't place it between the two colors (blue and green).  It's a lot like cobalt...is it blue or purple?

...more blue than purple, but some cobalt glassware takes on purple tones.

Interior cockpit design, feng shui style, with Kyle Rodgers. Coming soon on the family channel.

Cristi Neagu

Good question. The color is one of those where I can't place it between the two colors (blue and green). It's a lot like cobalt...is it blue or purple?
Celadon = Institutional Green or what I refer to as Hospital Green. Lovely, inspiring colour.

No, actually on second thoughts its foul.

My favorite is getting up to the deck of a bird where human factors clearly weren't a consideration.

MD80 anyone?

Well, the pneumatics are up here, but the crossbleed is down on the pedestal. The lights? Yeah, they're all over the place. Good luck finding the right one. I mean, the electrics and hydraulics are kinda grouped together. The trim? Good luck figuring that one out. It's kinda clever, but at the same time, what? Also, anything we couldn't find a spot for, we put over the FO's head. Why not? We already punish the right seat by making them the "designated go outside in the rain to preflight" person...now, we're just adding "figure out your side of the overhead, too."

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:  - love this one!!!

Kind regards

MD80 anyone?

Well, the pneumatics are up here, but the crossbleed is down on the pedestal. The lights? Yeah, they're all over the place. Good luck finding the right one. I mean, the electrics and hydraulics are kinda grouped together. The trim? Good luck figuring that one out. It's kinda clever, but at the same time, what? Also, anything we couldn't find a spot for, we put over the FO's head. Why not? We already punish the right seat by making them the "designated go outside in the rain to preflight" person...now, we're just adding "figure out your side of the overhead, too."

Oddly enough, on the color theme, the MD went from cold blue (when it was the DC9 series), to beige (when it became the DC9 Super 80 series), to grey (when it became the MD95/717 and took on the panel accents of the MD11).

I, personally, hate the blue. Airbus, old DC, or otherwise (to include the Tupolev celadon color...what happened there? В Советской России небо голубое и так ты?).

Not so much a fan of the new 737Max or 787 flight decks, either, but I think I'm just used to a certain vintage. I'll get used to it. I hated the G1000 for a while, too.

You forgot the worst aspect of the DC-9, the standby pressurisation control. A giant toothed wheel in the pedestal (on the F/O side of course). Blue remained an option for MD-80 panels, btw.

Boeings from the 737 onwards clearly had human factors taken into account. British Aerospace aircraft even more so. Airbus made it into an art form, styled by Porsche. Douglas totally ignored it until the MD11. Douglas flightdecks remind me of a ships bridge especially when painted blue.

Airbus flightdeck design is my favourite. It's so well laid out and spacious. I don't agree with comments here that it is cold and plasticky.

ki9cAAb.jpg