Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

XPlane combined with Google Earth - My Ultimate Sim Platform

What if?  Look at what GOOGLE can do with scenery rendering - then imagine combining that with the flight model of XPlane... WOW.

'

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

That would be amazing, I'm fascinated by how they just use 45 degree aerial photography to create the building, trees, etc. For the moment though, g2xpl and World2XPlane does the job for me.

That is not a fiction, in a few more years something like that will be a our common scenery. And with great fps.

Alexander Colka

I've done a few virtual fly overs of towns in Google Earth and with the building models added by users into Google Warehouse, some places look incredibly realistic. It's a pity this can't be directly streamed into a flight simulator. However, Google Earth suffers the same problem as OpenStreetMap in that outside of cities the scenery it is relatively flat, lacking landmarks and buildings. 

Makes me hope that Google wants to make a Flight Sim at some point (beyond what's in Google Earth).

Or would be awesome if they'd license this stuff somehow.

What if?  Look at what GOOGLE can do with scenery rendering - then imagine combining that with the flight model of XPlane... WOW.

'

Thank you for posting the link.  Amazing.  

Makes me hope that Google wants to make a Flight Sim at some point (beyond what's in Google Earth).

Or would be awesome if they'd license this stuff somehow.

That would be awesome!  

It's like anything else.  Today it's a dream, and a fantasy.  Tomorrow, next week, next year, at some point, it will be commonplace.  I hope I live long enough to fly it...

This is what I had mentally imagined MS Flight would be like...

Google has large segments of the planet already mapped.  The obvious thing is the cars aren't moving, but one step at a time, eh?

Given a nice server farm packed with supercomputers, and given Google's budget...

Almost anything seems 'do-able'...

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

According to Avsim staff Microsoft sold Flight to a company with big pockets and rather limited experience in Flightsims.

Google was my first thought. Would make a lot of sense IMHO. Laminar made some money with tablet and smartphone versions of X-Plane and Google could easily exploit both, desktop and mobile flightsimming.

Flo

Okay I'm in, sign me up.

That video is fantastic, this is the future (I hope). :)

'

With the new Aerowinx PSX simulator, it is possible to use Google Earth as scenery. The developer (Hardy) has posted a screenshot showing the capabilities. So this, in fact, is possible after the release of PSX in August.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

With the new Aerowinx PSX simulator, it is possible to use Google Earth as scenery. The developer (Hardy) has posted a screenshot showing the capabilities. So this, in fact, is possible after the release of PSX in August.

We can only hope this is a REAL product.  I remember some scams a while back for sim vaporware.  The company website looks very old and dated, nothing that suggests a really game-changing new sim platform is within 60 days of release, but maybe I'm wrong... sure hope so.  The screenshot you allude to did not jump out at me.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Yes its all going to come down to the power of the processor and graphics card and whether the budget can afford a card good enough to cope..

I cant even fly over NY now .. well I can, but I go into a negative time warp.

Google is so big it has to be constantly thinking of new things to do and flight simulation would be a logical step for it.  With that imagery technology perfected, it could also get into land based simming/gaming.

We can only hope this is a REAL product.  I remember some scams a while back for sim vaporware.  The company website looks very old and dated, nothing that suggests a really game-changing new sim platform is within 60 days of release, but maybe I'm wrong... sure hope so.  The screenshot you allude to did not jump out at me.

If you take a look at their forum, it's constantly updating. I am doing my CPL and am waiting for it to hit the shelves at Aviation World near YVR airport. However, my guess is only as good as yours.

If it is real, this is what I'm talking about:

http://aerowinx.com/assets/pics/PSXE2_03.jpg

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

PSX is no SCAM :-) that I can assure you, as a long time owner of their products - bought PS1 in 1995, and never had a better 744 simulation!!!

PSX will again be the best, ever, b744 simulator.

Some more details here:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=15184#post15184

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...