Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Congratulations USA!

On getting through to the last 16. You must let us English know what it feels like! :(

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Most of Italy are out, the rest have yet to be flossed.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for the kind words Ron. Although I'm not a big soccer fan I still appreciate it.

Regards,

Congrats USA, now I know I'll attend Germany vs H 2nd (Russia please!).

Mauricio Brentano

Mel, it's football we're talkin' here. Eventually, judging by reported viewing figures in the US, you'll come round to calling it football as well. :lol:

Yes hopefully someday the name will be correct lol

The last 16 looks very interesting. I always find it annoying/funny when the English press talk about how their team isn't good enough or they don't have the players, tell that to the US, Algeria or South Korea if they get through and especially Costa Rica, england should be quarter finals at least and consistently.

Uruguay will fall short now though because of Suarez's snack time...

I like to call it "Fútbol". Playing the way they did against Germany I don't think they have a chance in the next round. They need to attack more. Anything can happen. 

Would love to see Netherlands win a Cup.

They need to attack more.

That's the great thing about football, there is always something you need to do more of...or less of. If they attack more they're open to attack themselves. It's a funny old game, Saint. :smile:

Haha. Yeap. Makes sense. Anyways I'm enjoying this World Cup so far.

I like to call it "Fútbol". Playing the way they did against Germany I don't think they have a chance in the next round. They need to attack more. Anything can happen. 

Would love to see Netherlands win a Cup.

I think US played really well. Germany is a tough team to beat. They (and Netherlands) are going on for the title for sure.

Mauricio Brentano

Mel, it's football we're talkin' here. Eventually, judging by reported viewing figures in the US, you'll come round to calling it football as well. :lol:

Now that's not bloody likely, considering the impact of the National Football League on the economy here in the United States...

Somehow I think they'd strongly resist being renamed the National Pigskin League just so "soccer" could be awarded the name "football."

Why that would be like trying to force cricket to be re-labeled as 'bats in the belfry' or some such nonsense. :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm not a football fan, but always enjoy the World Cup! Sad that England are out, but if they play like that I'm not really surprised. Lovin the Netherlands at the mo, but got Brazil in the sweepstakes at work so go Brazil lol

Alaister Kay

Why that would be like trying to force cricket to be re-labeled as 'bats in the belfry' or some such nonsense.

Ah, cricket... The greatest imponderable ever foisted off on the world. I once made the silly statement to a fellow Ferranti employee that "I wished I understood cricket". We were in our offices in Aberdeen at the time and it was a Friday night. I was spending the weekend with he and his family that weekend in Aboyne, just up the river Dee from the office. England was playing Scotland at the time (if memory serves)... Instead of doing something useful, like poaching salmon, we spent all of Saturday in his man cave watching the game. The only thing I succeeded in learning that weekend was how wonderful single malts are... Never did (nor have I since) figured out what the hell they were doing /  playing / scoring, etc. etc. I did conclude however, that cricket was a pacification measure put on the English colonies. You know, along the lines of "let them play cricket (as opposed to cake)... The irony is that the former colonies whip the heck out England on most occasions (again, if my game counts are accurate). :Big Grin: