Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Congratulations USA!

I didn't think it would long before someone dragged that up. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

...let them play cricket (as opposed to cake)... The irony is that the former colonies whip the heck out England...

There's never a free lunch, Tom. :biggrin:  Speaking of which, I'm told Italians make good food, although I prefer Pizza and Pasta.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On getting through to the last 16. You must let us English know what it feels like! :(

Big fan of soccer here and I am thrilled to see this US team making it through such a difficult group. My hope is that this can create more excitement and understanding of this sport in the United States.  There is definitely a larger number of American players that are increasing the level of talent in this country and I hope to see that grow over the years.  In this country there are three professional tiers of soccer and each tier is growing in terms of number of teams and quality of talent.  Who knows, maybe within twenty years the US could take the cup.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

...maybe within twenty years the US could take the cup...

That's the spirit, set yourself a goal and go for it. (oops)

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I can't believe how I've become so INTERESTED in soccer (Futbol).  The USA has made me rivet myself to the game when they played...and even when all the other countries show their wonderful skills.  Whew....what a game.  When my Daughters played years ago, I enjoyed their games but had no interest in anything but American football.  I like scoring!  Soccer is so defensive and the scores so low, that I quickly lost interest.  NO MORE.  I appreciate the athleticism and the skill I have been witnessing.  The coach for the USA is tremendous, and the USA has one terrific goal tender. I've truly become a fan and have begun to understand why the entire world is so involved in the sport.

Perhaps it will bring the world closer together....I can only hope.

Stan

If I want to watch football I'll watch the Bears play the Packers or Michigan play Notre Dame!

Mel, it's football we're talkin' here. Eventually, judging by reported viewing figures in the US, you'll come round to calling it football as well.

Well Ron the problem is then we would have to figure out what to rename what we call football without incurring the wrath of a fair sized chunk of the population here.

The greatest imponderable ever foisted off on the world.

I've watched Cricket a few times. At first I thought it might be something like baseball. All I got out of it was a sore head from scratching. I suppose if I really really wanted to understand I'd have to sit down and read the rule book (with pictures). I'm sure people who do know cricket and its rules view baseball with the same puzzlement. He stole a base?!! Is that a felony or a misdemeanor? Wait a minute the base is still there, I can see it, why did they accuse him of stealing it? That official on the field said the guy stealing the base was safe but I could see that he wasn't in any danger at all. This game doesn't make any sense!

Best regards to all,

Well Ron the problem is then we would have to figure out what to rename what we call football without incurring the wrath of a fair sized chunk of the population here.

How about...American Football? :smile:

What cricket has to do with this thread I have no idea, but failure to understand it says more about the person not understanding it, than it does about the game!

Now Bridge, (the card game) is another kettle of fish. That truly IS unfathomable! (see what that says about me? :blush: )

I'm sure people who do know cricket and its rules view baseball with the same puzzlement. He stole a base?

Well no actually. Stealing a base sounds OK. He got to the base by being sneaky/crafty/whatever. Simples. :smile:

I don't understand why people find cricket difficult to understand.  

All you need to know is that you have 2 teams; a team that's in and a team that's out.  Two men of the team that is in go out and all of the team who are out go out too.  When one of the men who's in is out; the next man goes out and goes in until he's out.

When all of the men from the side that is in are out, both sides go in.  After a cup of tea and a bun, two men from the team that were not in come out and go in and all of the team that were in but are now out come out and try to get those coming in, out. 

The two men from the team that are in who are out at any point in time are called not out. 

In summary, when a man goes out to go in; the men who are out try to get him out; and when he is out, he goes in.  The next man in goes out and goes in until he's out. After a while there's a break for lunch.  Or tea.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time except when it rains or there is tea or lunch.  They decide when the men who are in are out, in which case they have to go in, or not out, in which case they stay in. If it starts to rain, which it usually does, they may decide that everyone should go in but that doesn't affect who's in or who's out.

When both sides have been in and all their men have been out; and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.  If it starts to rain and every one goes in and can't come out again then the game is also over.

ngxu_banner.png

scores so low

Its because scores are so low  that we all go balistic when our team scores,  If goals went in every few minutes they would lose their rarity, their "specialness".  If we then get a "high scoring" game we remember it for years to come..... England....Germany, England... Holland.

Good Luck USA !

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

I don't understand why people find cricket difficult to understand. ------------------------------------------

--------------------- If it starts to rain and every one goes in and can't come out again then the game is also over.

See? Simple. A very succinct answer, well done.  -_- 

Who knows, maybe within twenty years the US could take the cup.

Oh ya, you betcha. :smile:

(I've been watching Fargo)

See? Simple. A very succinct answer, well done.   

Although not entirely original.....

ngxu_banner.png

Although not entirely original.....

Yeah, we all know that... :rolleyes:

I've got a tea towel with it on.