Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Ooms FPS and more - The problem and solution

As I sit in front of my computer, going through the usual reinstallation routine, I started thinking about what to reinstall and what to leave out. More to the point, what to install that is not going to make my frames suffer and what is not going to sink the good ship FSX in oom oblivion. What old addons am I using that could be better then another, better textures.

I decided to do research on AVSIM and over Google to get other people opinions and reading about peoples FSX woes, their tweaks and fixes. I realised that there was so many different opinions on the addon causing the OOM, some saying the PMDG 777, some saying ORBX, some saying a new airport and here lies the problem.

The only way I explain OOM is by making an example. Imagine FSX is a big bath with a little bit of water. Each addon is a bucket with water, some with more water then others. With each bucket of water added, the level rises. Add enough buckets and the water will overflow. People will always jump to the conclusion as to which bucket made it overflow but it's not one bucket. I decided to do a test as I installed FSX by checking the VAS with just the PMDG 777 and I was way of the 4GB limit. I could have flown round the world with no problem. Then I added a bit of scenery and saw my VAS rise.

So what is the problem? Quite simply it's us, the user. As humans we strive for things to be better, it's how civilisation grows, as such we strive for FSX, a program made in 2006 to look and feel like a program made in 2014. It's a bit like buying a car for the 60's, putting high performance parts on it, pushing it to it's limits and wondering why it broke down. A few years ago we was happy with lower quality scenery, less advanced aircraft. In 2006, I was just happy to get FSX running on the hardware I had then. Now I want OrbX sceneries, I want Aerosoft top high definition airports, I want loads of real AI, I want high quality virtual cockpits with all the bells and whistles, I want a co-pilot that talks to me and I can tell what to do and I want it all to run on a program that was built before the advent of multicore processors and 64bit computing.

So here lies the problem, the 4gb limit of FSX will be reached eventually if not kept in check, how soon depends on how much you want FSX to look like the latest games. It's not so much about what you install, more about how much you install. Same with FPS, the more you push the less you get no matter how much tweaking you do.

For me I have decided that I can't really see much of a difference when I turn down the settings.

So my advice for anybody that is having OOM or FPS problems is turn things down and see if you can spot a real difference when you fly your favourite aircraft. More then likely you won't either.

Solution 1 : turn down the ag and scenery complexity

Solution 2 : try with a lower LOD radius ( large impact on OOM )

Solution 3 : only check scenery in you library where you are planning to fly ( might not be enough by itself )

Solution 4 : use 2 pc 's . One for the instruments and gauges and the other for scenery ( Wideview, Project Magenta, ProSim, Ifly 737 NGX Cockpit Builders Edition, FsXpand )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I track the remaining VAS on a client computer (via WideClient). When I reach cruise level (in PMDG737NGX) I just switch to the windowed mode without pausing FSX, minimize/maximize it and return to the full screen. This recovers  a few hundred Mb of VAS, so I do the same once at the beginning of decent. This technique keeps me away from reaching VAS limits. And my scenery is very complex, you can say it is stuffed with addons. Add to that heavy clouds from ASN if the weather is bad. Sometimes I recharge the screen before taxiing. My LOD is 5,5. Also avoid flying  in windowed mode, it takes up more VAS.

Dirk.

DX10 can also help with VAS considerably. I have yet to notice any real side effect in making the switch when using Steve's Fixer.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

• Graphics settings for the frame rates and disabling scenery for the VAS.

Start with the graphics options: 'Cause lower graphics settings will help with VAS, too.

And store graphics settings in profiles (GA profile/airliner profile, or daytime/nighttime profile, or what you think is appropriate for differentiation).

Since too high a VAS will "stick" in FSX until you shut FSX down and restart it - if in doubt, start with a low quality profile and check your figures (fps, VAS). If you feel there's some headroom left, you may change the profile in favour of a higher visual quality.

One of the main things that help me with managing VAS, is controlling what addon dll's get loaded with each flight using the ManualLoad=True line in each section of my optional addons (Mostly aircraft addons) in the dll.xml file. I don't set them for addons I use on every flight. There's no reason to load dll's for Captain Sim aircraft, when you are using PMDG's, and vice versa. Each time I load FSX, it asks me if I want to load these dll's! I say no to all but the one's I'm using for that session.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

@ OP: Good laymen's description of OOM's. In P3DV2, it was found that Autogen ate VAS faster than anything else. Testers like myself found that setting Autogen to the max and flying fast over a region, depleted VAS within an hour and OOM warnings from FSUIPC were being sounded. Fortunately, in the latest update, Lockheed Martin was able to optimize the default Autogen and reduce the chances for depletion of VAS. FSX/P3D are similar products and the Autogen in FSX has not been optimized. So the higher your Autogen setting, the more likely you will see an OOM occur. I have discovered too that Orbx/FTX Autogen stuff in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder will load too even if you are not flying over that products scenery so you should make sure FTX Central is returned to the default if you are not going to use it. Of course, photoscenery will load whether you are using it or not so you want to make sure any photoscenery you are not using is turned off. I strongly recommend everyone read the AVSIM CTD Guide for more information on avoiding OOM's. PMDG also has an excellent write up in their Intro Manual to the PMDG 777, starting around page 21.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

(...) I strongly recommend everyone read the AVSIM CTD Guide for more information on avoiding OOM's. PMDG also has an excellent write up in their Intro Manual to the PMDG 777, starting around page 21.

Best regards,

Jim/all,

the PMDG article is available for everyone here, in case they do not own the PMDG T7:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors

Thanks Oliver. This might be a good link to put in the AVSIM CTD Guide in a future update too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10