Sign in to follow this  
Guest moonkey

Veneaviones Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B is out...

"Why not just fly it for your personal pleasure then? You canalways go paint all the other Aero commanders -- from MiltonShupe & Co -- for your VA. At last count I believe they have 4different versions available."I know Paul and can say that he is/has been flying the Shupe and company commanders (great aircraft!), as are many other VAs that have similar operations, so thank goodness for their generosity and an open repaint policy. I, like many other GA VA members I know rarely fly aircraft in non VA colors, since most of my flights are involved in a VA scenario. Most of the aircraft my VA uses are payware and repaints are not a problem, so why should this offering be different?John Ci, I know you are a huge supporter of this group from previous posts, and I agree, this is a great aircraft and a great "gift". While the closed repaint deal is one thing, to have civil posts deleted off their forum when asked about it is totally different. (has happened to me and others.) Quite franky, this attitude has soured me on any future projects from this group.(which I am sure is not any great loss to them)Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Michael,I didn't see the posts in question (haven't been to FSNordic in several days). If you say they were civil posts, then they probably are. But in Veneaviones' defense, they apply that treatment of posts pretty fairly in their forums--there's other verboten subjects (usually the "is it done yet" type) which they normally will delete without comment. I am a big supporter of their group indeed--they've had to tackle many challenges to bring us another project, and my affection for Venezuela comes into play as well. I was a guest there many years ago and was treated like family by everyone I met--some of whom won't earn in a lifetime what we earn in a few months. But I also do believe that what VA members do amongst themselves is their business. I think if they choose to repaint textures and distribute them to other members, they have that right, copyright/license or not. They aren't "stealing" from anyone or causing someone to lose profit. I know what a restrictive license does--I cancelled a vendor contract worth over $40K due to a suffocating licensing scheme. But I've also probably cost them much more than that, as I share my experience with everyone I know in the software design field. But that's another story...I wouldn't be offended if anyone did that with my Eclipse. I only think there's an issue when the same work ends up posted publicly outside of the VA, or if the VA charges its members for access to services such as aircraft, files, etc... Also, many designers consider themselves artists, and indeed are. Good work can get ruined in the artist's eye if it's released with a crummy paintjob. In my case and as an example, I've seen one author who's rereleased some of my work as his own with one or two lines changed in a panel.cfg--I think I have a right to say no to that.In defense of VA's, I've had a few contact me about the Eclipse and I've always allowed them to do what they wish subject to the conditions above. If they went behind my back and did the same, I still wouldn't care as long as they don't subvert my work. -John

Guest 1929clhenry

D/L the 690B and it flys as good as any free ware or pay ware.You fellows really did a great job. The only thing I've seen is when you put cursor over the overhead switches for Gen etc. they read different then inscribed above switches. No big deal though. Thanks again to the Veneaviones group. Havn't found DME read out but I will if I look some more.ThanksChuck

Guest moonkey

How do you make the textures 512 x 512?

Guest enave

The fact is that their repaint policy is unusual, arbitrary, and unnecessary. I kept checking back in this thread waiting for an explanation, but it looks like there isn't one. Veneaviones are just control freaks I guess. They enjoy the power of telling people what to do. They might as well create a license that says, "you are not allowed to fly this airplane inverted, or outside the US. If you use this airplane, you must become a vegetarian." I suppose it's the author's right to do that, but using the right in that way is silly and frankly a little immature.If you'd like to be paid for your work, I'm happy to pay for it. If you choose to give it away for free then you'll have the undying thanks of the flight sim community. But if you choose to be a control freak with it, well, I guess we'll all just laugh at you because, you know, there's really no good reason for this restriction.I agree with the way you handled this Paul. You brought attention to it and hopefully brought a little bit of well-deserved condemnation from the community down on the authors. I enjoyed flying the commander, and I appreciate the work that went into it, but I have absolutely no respect for the Veneaviones. Whether I respect them or not doesn't matter I guess, but I don't. They are a stark contrast to people like Milton Sharpe who worked just as hard on their Twin Commanders, but gave them to the community freely and without these weird arbitrary strings attached to them.

You need the tool DXTBMP--can't really walk you through all the steps--the DXTDMP documentation discusses that better than I can.-John

Guest moonkey

Thanks John, i'll have a look at the DXTBMP tool and try it out.:-)