Sign in to follow this  
captain420

X-Plane and PFPX/TOPCAT/AVIASOFT EFB/EFASS

Okay guys, I am trying to decide what the best combination of apps to use for flight planning. I have recently tried EFASS and it seems like it offers a ton of features and pretty decent to me. Since I haven't used PFPX I can't compare it to that yet. Could someone who has used all of the following software tell me what would be the best app to use to quickly get a complete flight plan with minimal effort? I heard that PFPX is the best for this. 

I fly mostly flight factor 777 and Jrollon's CRJ-200. Does PFPX export company route files for these planes? I know it can export to X-Plane's native .fms format but I don't fly using the default planes.

It seems that PFPX does a pretty good job of automating a complete route. In EFASS I would have to manually make my route, which is one of the reasons why I would like to switch over to PFPX for that feature.

I don't like to spend much time creating a flight plan. I would like the app to automatically do all that quickly and efficiently and all I would have to do is load the co route file into my FMC, and hit activate and be on my way.

I have been using aviasoft EFB for P3D and FSX and it's pretty nice to be able to have all that information, however it doesn't support X-Plane so that's a huge let down for me. Right now my top choices for complete flight planning software for X-Plane would have to be PFPX/TOPCAT and EFASS.

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

And another thing, is there a way to get real world weather when using PFPX with X-Plane? And are there readily available aircraft profiles such as FF 777, J-Rollon's CRJ-200, etc that ships with PFPX or a place where I can download profiles? I don't want to have to research and dig for all that information. It should all be available and ready to go and if not at least a place for us to download additional aircraft profiles for X-Plane.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Though I haven't used PFPX, I do know that it is a VERY complex program. It is meant to emulate real aircraft and flight procedures to high degree of professionalism, so if your looking for a quick flight planner to get in and go, I'm pretty sure this isn't it. Also it has a strange set-up where it only comes pre-loaded with 15 or so aircraft profiles that you can choose from when begining a plan and you can't add in your own custom aircraft easily or at all. As far as I can tell, because PFPX features such detailed aircraft profiles, even going so far as to have specific engine specs considerations, fuel usage up to cruise altitude, on and on and on, it doesn't allow for complete freedom to add your own aircraft. I remember seeing someone in the forums who wanted to use PFPX with the PMDG J-41 for FSX. There was no way to add it in, so he had to just fake it using the Saab twin turbo prop that comes as a preloaded selectable aircraft type and then fudge some of the numbers to try to get it close to the J-41. Aerosoft will be releasing updates which include new aircraft compatibilities (I think) but I'm not sure how many or how often.

From what I've seen EFASS is the best flight planner you can get for X-plane right now. Not only that, but it features a wealth of features, even it's own weather simulation engine that replaces X-planes default system, and best of all it's totally free! I would at the very least download and try it before you go and spend big bucks for PFPX.

For me I'm still a bit old school. I still use FS Commander for my flight planning needs. It has all the features I want plus I can use it with every aircraft I own. Or you could always just use one of the online tools such as Simroutes, Routefinder, and the newer one which I prefer- SimBrief.com. SimBrief has quite a lot of features and it's another free resource. The downloadable .FMS is for the default X-plane FMS/GPS unit, but for the CRJ-200 it's actually quite simple just to make your own loadable file.

A simple text document with the route written in the standard route format like this - KSEA NORMY MODDA STEVS Q150 OPPEE MOLTN2 KDEN - and saved as a .icao file should work just fine for the CRJ if you load a company route in the sim. You just have to place it in the JrollonPlanes/ SavedRoutes folder found in the main X-plane location. 

For the 777 I have no idea what the format is however, but I hope I helped a bit. :)     

I think I gave you a fairly good rundown of PFPX features in another thread.

I've also used EFASS a bit lately and like all the many features that it includes but I find the routes that it generates aren't very accurate as you've also discovered yourself. PFPX is great for this as the routes it generates are very accurate taking high and low airways into account as well as winds if using real WX, but as JeremyWM stated above it's a very complex program with lots of many little features aimed more at someone wanting to create a professional flight plan.

As for exporting route formats used by FF 777 it doesn't seem to do this as PFPX only allows exporting to default X-Plane FMS format. EFASS does export to FF format.

As for X-Plane RW weather you can set PFPX to download weather from their live servers but it includes a free 1 yr subscription whereas I think you have to pay to use it again after it runs out. The weather between that and what you get in X-Plane (I'm guessing you use UltraWX with EFASS?) is very close.

UltraWX?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

UltraWX is included with EFASS, and its great. Injects weather in to X-Plane.....

Ok, thx, just checked that :-)

EFASS has suddenly become  a major player in the XP10 flight planning and weather injection. This is great to know, and I look forward for further development from them.

Thx for the info guys!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Mik75

My vote definitely goes for EFASS! It's a really convincing "one for all" tool and it has so many handy features. Plus, the developers are really active and the program keeps improving on a nearly daily basis! Since Ultra WX is included, the very fair price became even more attractive!

I beleive FF777, 757, and JAR 320 all use Aerosoft Airbus's format for FMS file format.

I used PFPX until I disvovered EFASS. Free time is over now and I think it is Paypal shopping only. That is a no go for me. So back now.

My vote definitely goes for EFASS! It's a really convincing "one for all" tool and it has so many handy features. Plus, the developers are really active and the program keeps improving on a nearly daily basis! Since Ultra WX is included, the very fair price became even more attractive!

Michael, I totally agree with you. This does so many things and the asking price was fair, so I bought it also.

EFASS the only programme that demands you pay VAT that I know off when you are not required to.

The free version has become unusable to me as it's pop up buy now screen appears so often, I don't mind the first time but every 5 minutes is a bit much.

Have not even finished entering the FMS and trying to find the sid when up comes the pop up for another 50 odd seconds.  Frustrating.

Trevor Golding