Sign in to follow this  
captain420

SID/STAR, very frustrated when it provides me with (vectors) in my FMC, help!

Most of the time when flight planning for the Boeing 777, i'm able to get a good route without it giving me (vectors). I don't fly online or use ATC. So I'm trying to avoid that dreaded (vectors) from showing up in my routes page on the FMC.

My question is, how can i prevent this from happening? Do I have to find the right combination for the SID/STAR/transition in order for (vectors) to not show up in my flight plan? This really makes flight planning aggravating for me. I just want to be able to come up with a flight plan quickly that I can execute on the FMC and just have the plane fly the route correctly without all having to play the guessing game of finding the matching transition for the SID/STAR that will line me up with the arriving runway.

I'm usually fine with finding the right SID for departure, but I find most of the time that when my plane is near its arrival airport that my route gets all messed up towards the end of the route and I completely have the plane miss waypoints and then fly away from the airport all together. I just want an error free flight plan without having to play the guessing game of figuring what SID/STAR to use. Will PFPX automatically figure this out for me?

Really need help on this. :(

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'm sure someone will chime in here with more details Aaron, but a lot of STARS especially in the US take you to a certain point then say expect vectors to final approach. If you look at the chart for the STAR you will probably see this. If your not using any ATC you will have to vector yourself onto final.

So I guess i should avoid using STAR then and figure out my own route that will line me up with the runway then? But I have a few flight plans I made with STARS that has no vectors? It was mostly the SID that was giving me vectors.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Most of the time when flight planning for the Boeing 777, i'm able to get a good route without it giving me (vectors). I don't fly online or use ATC. So I'm trying to avoid that dreaded (vectors) from showing up in my routes page on the FMC.

My question is, how can i prevent this from happening? Do I have to find the right combination for the SID/STAR/transition in order for (vectors) to not show up in my flight plan? This really makes flight planning aggravating for me. I just want to be able to come up with a flight plan quickly that I can execute on the FMC and just have the plane fly the route correctly without all having to play the guessing game of finding the matching transition for the SID/STAR that will line me up with the arriving runway.

I'm usually fine with finding the right SID for departure, but I find most of the time that when my plane is near its arrival airport that my route gets all messed up towards the end of the route and I completely have the plane miss waypoints and then fly away from the airport all together. I just want an error free flight plan without having to play the guessing game of figuring what SID/STAR to use. Will PFPX automatically figure this out for me?

Really need help on this. :(

Ideal flight will do this but only in beta program which I have been part of but that version is not quite released yet maybe Steve the creator can chime in -- I will send him an e-mail - program does so much more but it will give you a perfect flight plan from departure to arrival airport - pretty amazing - cnat wait for a P3D version

PM sent to Steve - provided this posting he will follow up for sure just not sure when as He is in the UK

Rich Sennett

Richard sounds good, but will it also work with X-Plane? and is this another flight planning app like PFPX? 

Thanks Richard. IF10 >augmented is out now but there's a service pack any day now. May be of some use but it's FSX only for now. Best bet is to check out information on the site.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Richard sounds good, but will it also work with X-Plane? and is this another flight planning app like PFPX? 

Sorry  Aaron it only works with fsx - no its not like PFPX - it is a very user friendly type of app - you just tell it dep airport - arr airport and it will spit out the flight plan start to finish dead on the arr runway - no muss no fuss - but again you should check out all of the other cool stuff it does on his site - if your not into all of the intricate stuff to setup a flight plan this is for you

http://www.codelegend.com/idealflight/

amazing stuff

Rich Sennett

Very nice, thanks for the link.

Steve, are you the developer? If so, will there be any plans on adding X-Plane and P3D compatibility?

This is exactly what I want in a flight planner. Type in departure airport and arrival, hit submit, and done. Load it up into FMC and you're good to go. 

Very nice, thanks for the link.

Steve, are you the developer? If so, will there be any plans on adding X-Plane and P3D compatibility?

This is exactly what I want in a flight planner. Type in departure airport and arrival, hit submit, and done. Load it up into FMC and you're good to go. 

Just from what I know - Steve can correct me but P3D is planned and I have not heard him mention x-plane - oh if I remember correctly it even loads the plan automatically in default aircraft - in pmdg type aircraft you would import it into fmc works like a charm I looked high and low for a program with this simplicity and this the only one I found like it - He is the developer and creator of IF

Rich Sennett

I see, I'm surprised as to why nobody has done this yet. But it's good to know that it exists. Perhaps I can just use this program for now and manually type in the routes that it gives me into my FMC? Would this work?

Hey Aaron,

A P3D version is due, but no plans for X-Plane, I'm looking into that later. The planner reads and compares data from sim and FMC add-in datasets to produce a data reliable subset to make plans. These are set once to be exported to the FMC plan or co-route folder and a duplicate .PLN sent for FSX ATC is made available via careful pre-programmed association with the .FLT. For SID/STAR the transitions and IDF/FAF are included in the GPS go-to waypoints plan, but the FMC would still be used to load and follow an actual STAR if and when required.

All the best,

Steve

...manually type in the routes that it gives me into my FMC?...

No need if your FMC file format is supported you just choose in the FMC to load a co-route. FMC co-route files supported:

FS9 .PLN - FS2004

FSX .PLN - FSX .XML

PMDG .rte v1 - J4100

PMDG .rte v2/3 - 737, 777

PMDG .rt2 v1 - 747

PMDG .WX v1 - 777 weather

iFly .FLTPLAN v1 - 737

QW .RTE v1 - RJ100

Airosoft Airbus X Extended .flp - AXE

Level-D .rte v1 - 767

Majestic .fpr vQ400 - Dash 8

Carousel IV-AC INS .AWC WP - FSL Concorde-X, Waypoints data cards

Carousel IV-AC INS .ADC DME - FSL Concorde-X, DME Station data cards

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"Perhaps I can just use this program for now and manually type in the routes that it gives me into my FMC? Would this work?"

When the final version is done you do not need to do any manual stuff in your aircraft other than importing the plan provide by IF into your fmc - thats all I ever did but now I have to do it manually- when the final version is released it will do all the work for you but not now as Steve has stated - theres a ton of usable goodness to use now but like you I wanted to use it for a quick runway to runway plan with not thought involved so for now I am back to manual process - good luck with your decision but you may want to sign up at IF forums as Steve keeps you well informed of his progress for that anticipated final version -  for flight plan creation for payware aircraft such as PMDG and Airbus axe  you must have his final version - I think it all ready does it for fsx plans I just needed it for the PMDG 

Rich Sennett

I see, well thanks for the info guys. I guess the next best thing would probably be PFPX for now. 

I see, well thanks for the info guys. I guess the next best thing would probably be PFPX for now. 

Your welcome Aaron

Keep in mind IF is a lot more than just a flight planner

Rich Sennett