Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

My mini review of the new i7-4790K (Devils Canyon)

As some of you know I was previously running an FX-8350 at 4.5ghz, All my other system specs are exactly the same on my new system as all the parts besides the CPU and motherboard were re used or the exact same model, I'll start off with both system specs.

My old System specs

FX-8350 at 4.5ghz Cooled by H110

Biostar TA 970x motherboard

MSI 770GTX 4GB

8GB G.skill ram  at 1866Mhz 

1TB Segate HDD

Windows 7

Corsair 800 watt PSU

My new system is 

I7-4790k at 4.4ghz(stock turbo speed) Cooled by new H110

MSI gaming 7 Motherboard

MSI 770GTX 4GB (reused)

8GB G.skill ram at 1866Mhz(new but exactly the same model)

1TB Segate HDD,(new but exactly the same model)

Windows 7(new copy)

Corsair 800 watt PSU (reused) 

Overall the performance difference is huge I can run the exact same settings in P3DV2 and average about 15-20 FPS higher on the 4790k over the 8350 even though the 4790k is clocked 100mhz slower.(For now :diablo:)

This build cost me about $800 to do, but would have cost about $500 if I had reused all the parts. I figured for the $300 difference it was worth it to buy new parts so I could keep a very capable AMD powered rig running. I still have my old 660ti laying around and will install it in the AMD system.

If your on a tight budge get the i5-4690K its $239 and should easily OC to 4.4ghz,

If you are running a Haswell CPU already there is really no point in upgrading to the 4790k unless your chip is a  very poor overclocker.  At 4.4ghz in P3D V2,  my temps never got above 48C so the new TIM seems to be working. I love my AMD rig and she has served my well for the past two years and my last 3 gaming pc's have been AMD powered so it makes me rather sad to see that AMD has fallen so far behind. AMD says in two years they are going to release the next generation of FX series chips and, I hope they give Intel a run for its money. Because even if your an Intel fann boy you still should want AMD to succeed otherwise, Intel will have no reason to develop new CPUs and will raise prices on current ones.

So would I recommend a switch to Intel for AMD users? Yes, but if your on a very tight budget $169 for 4ghz FX-8350 is hard to beat, since in many games such as Battlefield 4 the 8350 will perform just as well as the 4790k, but FSX and P3D are heavily dependent on single core CPU performance and that is where the Intel chips shine!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Nice Dave - thanks for sharing your findings - should help a lot of people thinking about upgrades

Rich Sennett

Thanks a lot Dave. I am ready soon for a similar upgrade. Are you running hyperthreading on or off?

Besr regards

Anders

Thanks a lot Dave. I am ready soon for a similar upgrade. Are you running hyperthreading on or off?

Besr regards

Anders

For now on, I'm gonna turn it off at some point and see how it effects performance but as of now I have p3d set to run on 7 of the 8 threads and it seems to help with texture loading.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Did some small tests with custom loop, minmal vcore to load win7 and run superpi 1M it is a nice chip probaly prime aida64 stable at 1.35v.

5ghz4790k_PI_1M.png

Did some small tests with custom loop, minmal vcore to load win7 and run superpi 1M it is a nice chip probaly prime aida64 stable at 1.35v.

5ghz4790k_PI_1M.png

Wow you got some golden silicon there.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

hi david do you think that the performance boost youre getting with your new Rig on P3D is because of your cpu or gpu upgrade ? 

cheers

EDIT : i did not see that you used the gtx 770 on your old rig . i guess i answered my own question 

I'm still debating whether I'm actually going to buy a 4790K + mobo or not. After getting my 6GB GTX 780, I'm extremely happy with the performance of literally every other game I've tried with it besides FSX. Just trying to decide if it's actually worth another $500+ solely to make FSX run a bit better than it does on my i7 860 @ 4.0...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

After getting my 6GB GTX 780, I'm extremely happy with the performance of literally every other game I've tried with it besides FSX

Hey ryan , Im currently on the verge of getting one is yours this one : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K699CRW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0EJN7GTTVS9EQGA7GEX1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200482&pf_rd_i=507846

if yes then do you think its worth it ?? 

cheers

Been waiting to pull the trigger on a  4790K. But not convinced yet it will outperform or clock any better than a SB 2700K. reviews are very mixed if not disappointing. New TIM over the 4770 is all Im reading, but temps stills arent good. I understand a noticeable performance improvement over an AMD. I have an upgrade in the cart at Newegg.

What I have read is, that due to better glue it should run a little cooler than 4770k, but performance about the same. Maybe there is room for a little more OC, but there will of course be differences between samples. But if you come Sandy Bridge or later, there is little reason to change.

What I like though about the 4790k is the 4 GHz stock freq.

Best regards

Anders

Very nice! What stepping is that chip??

Batch L418C134.

If it worth it , it depends what you expect, i do a lot other stuff with my Cpu.s.

You can have 100-200mhz difference depending on the MoBo, example Gigabyte Z87-OC to Asrock Fatality Killer Cpu -200mhz mem -400mhz, ASUS Hero -100mhz on CPU memory no diff to the Gigabyte board the Cpu was the same 4770K and Corsair Platinum 2666 CL10.

I think its the same on Z97 shall flash my Z87 Hero and Chek, this test is done on a Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force.

I've been considering an upgrade every year since 2011 when Sandy Bridge came out but none of the more recent chips will give a big enough performance increase over my 4.9Ghz 4700k. Looking around I think Devils Canyon will give about 20% better if the same overclock is achievable. Just not worthwhile. I think it will be a big step over an 860.

Hopefully Broadwell will be the way to go for me.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I've been considering an upgrade every year since 2011 when Sandy Bridge came out but none of the more recent chips will give a big enough performance increase over my 4.9Ghz 4700k. Looking around I think Devils Canyon will give about 20% better if the same overclock is achievable. Just not worthwhile. I think it will be a big step over an 860.

Hopefully Broadwell will be the way to go for me.

Sorry, should have said 2700k.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs