Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

My mini review of the new i7-4790K (Devils Canyon)

What I have read is, that due to better glue it should run a little cooler than 4770k, but performance about the same. Maybe there is room for a little more OC, but there will of course be differences between samples. But if you come Sandy Bridge or later, there is little reason to change.

What I like though about the 4790k is the 4 GHz stock freq.

Best regards

Anders

The 4790k also has more capacitors to help even power distribution which helps with oc I don't know of any 4790ks that can't hit and be stable at 4.7 GHz but there are plenty of 4770ks that can't even hit 4.4ghz,I'm aiming for 4.5 to 4.6ghz so I can keep my vcore low and prevent degradation.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I7 4790k I am thinking of getting it because at stock speed 4.0 like i7 2600k at 4.5 overclocked. Still, think my i5 3570k with midrange settings will be fine for fsx. Broadwell likely be incremental anyways like i7 4790k. I don't overclock anyways and run sliders full right and i7 4790k factory clock at 4.0 and turbo at 4.4 looks enticing. FSX feeds on CPU speed we all know this.

I7 4790k I am thinking of getting it because at stock speed 4.0 like i7 2600k at 4.5 overclocked. Still, think my i5 3570k with midrange settings will be fine for fsx. Broadwell likely be incremental anyways like i7 4790k. I don't overclock anyways and run sliders full right and i7 4790k factory clock at 4.0 and turbo at 4.4 looks enticing. FSX feeds on CPU speed we all know this.

Broadwell should get 5.0 GHZ ???? possibly with safe oveclocking. Devils Canyon ( were did they get that name from ) 4.0 GHZ without over clocking. 

Still, 85% of the time overclock not needed at medium to high settings in fsx. Flying in New York overclocking useful, but no point using it flying in Alabama or Arizona photoscenery with rex textures at 1024. I7 4790k for non overclockers it's good thing for them they get 85% what overclockers get.

I'm still debating whether I'm actually going to buy a 4790K + mobo or not. After getting my 6GB GTX 780, I'm extremely happy with the performance of literally every other game I've tried with it besides FSX. Just trying to decide if it's actually worth another $500+ solely to make FSX run a bit better than it does on my i7 860 @ 4.0...

I upgraded from a 3.9ghz 860 to a 4770k @ 4.5ghz, using 2133 cas 9 ram and a gtx 660 ti for both systems. The performance boost was worth it IMO; most notably taxing and take off is no longer a 15 fps stutter fest. Things only got better when I upgraded to a gtx 780 3gb.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Today I ordered my production 4790K today along with Gigabyte Z97-UD5 Black Edition motherboard. Will re-use my HyperX RAM, and my near-new GTX780OC-3GB. The engineering samples we had were pretty good, I am hoping to get around 5GHz stable with my EVO212 cooler.

Tabs, on 28 Jun 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

I'm still debating whether I'm actually going to buy a 4790K + mobo or not. After getting my 6GB GTX 780, I'm extremely happy with the performance of literally every other game I've tried with it besides FSX. Just trying to decide if it's actually worth another $500+ solely to make FSX run a bit better than it does on my i7 860 @ 4.0...

Ryan, I went from an i7-930 running at about 3.6GHz to my current i7-3770 non-K running at 4.4GHz and saw a decent enough improvement. I am hoping that Devil's Canyon can take that to 5GHz, I see where you are coming from RE and 860 at 4, I still think a 4790K at 4 would outperform it based on architecture improvements, and if you can get 5, then that's a real improvement over the 860. Ask RSR to "sponsor" you a new rig... perhaps. B)

4790K_Validation_zps8f3ee94c.jpgHi everyone,

Just wanted to share my findings on the 4790K. In short, I've purchased 6 different Haswell CPUs that I've used over the past year or so in client builds and best OC has been 4.7GHz. My first purchase of the 4790K has gone well so far:

• 5.0GHz (stress tested Aida64 9 hours; 25 passes with IBT). I'm certain it can clock higher
  • Batch Number: L336D105 (Micro Center, Chicago, IL)
  • 1.40Vcore
  • Disabled Hyper-threading (I always disable HT)
  • Delid
  • Liquid Metal between die and Intel heat spreader
  • Cool Jag TIM between CPU and XSPC Raystorm waterblock
  • Swifttech MCP35X Pump
  • Dual 240MM rad
  • 2 ASUS Poseidon GTX 780s SLI

Ok guys I currently have it OC'd at 4.5ghz (as I don't really need anymore p3dv2 hits my 38FPS limit in almost any situation) and my current stable Vcore is 1.140v with temps in OCCT on the mid 50c range and temps in p3dV2 in the mid 40c range. To anyone new at OC'ing a cpu make sure you tune your voltage manually I used the auto setting and it would run the Vcore up to 1.22V during OCCT tests and cause my peak temps to be in the low 70c range. By tuning it manually I never got above 60C and averaged in the low 50s. Basically the auto setting throw to much voltage at the CPU.

She does great with the Carenado Phenom at 11s with full autogen and every shadow turned on I never got below 25FPS compared to the low of 14 FPS with the FX-8350 with all the autogen set to normal and only cloud,vehicle and interior shadows turned on. Im also finally able to run HD rex clouds which look awesome.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

z06z33,

this topic has caused me to make the same switch. I am expecting to get all the parts in the next two days!

Have a 8350 running at 4.4GHZ

GTX 760 4GB

h80i

1600mhz cl11 16gb memory

120GB Samsung SSD

1TB HHD

I was having no problems playing literally everything, but P3dv2 just isn't working. ANYTHING past default causes drops well below 15. Carenado programs are the worst, tbm850, phenon100, sr22. Unusable, total waste of money...

So I decided to just replace everything. 

New case

got a h55 to replace the h80i with in the amd computer

herovii mb

16gb 1600mhz ram cl7

And a GTX 970 SC

Two new 512GB SSD's 

I am hoping this will finally be enough to play all of my add-ons and finally get some eye candy (traffic, weather, etc)

I am super excited to yield the benefits!

I am starting to get the hang of what runs fsx and prepar3d best, despite all efforts, multi cpu's just aren't the important thing. 

FSX cpu performance is directly correlated to passmark's singe thread performance test, and Prepar3d isn't far off. According to that a G3450 single threads 25% better than a 8350 and I would bet the house it performs +-5% of that figure. 

The G3450 is a $90 processor.....

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020

z06z33,

this topic has caused me to make the same switch. I am expecting to get all the parts in the next two days!

Have a 8350 running at 4.4GHZ

GTX 760 4GB

h80i

1600mhz cl11 16gb memory

120GB Samsung SSD

1TB HHD

I was having no problems playing literally everything, but P3dv2 just isn't working. ANYTHING past default causes drops well below 15. Carenado programs are the worst, tbm850, phenon100, sr22. Unusable, total waste of money...

So I decided to just replace everything. 

New case

got a h55 to replace the h80i with in the amd computer

herovii mb

16gb 1600mhz ram cl7

And a GTX 970 SC

Two new 512GB SSD's 

I am hoping this will finally be enough to play all of my add-ons and finally get some eye candy (traffic, weather, etc)

I am super excited to yield the benefits!

I am starting to get the hang of what runs fsx and prepar3d best, despite all efforts, multi cpu's just aren't the important thing. 

FSX cpu performance is directly correlated to passmark's singe thread performance test, and Prepar3d isn't far off. According to that a G3450 single threads 25% better than a 8350 and I would bet the house it performs +-5% of that figure. 

The G3450 is a $90 processor.....

I get a near constant 40fps on the ground and 50-70 in the air in the Carenado C182T(G1000s) and in the low 30s in the TBM850 while on the ground and 50-60 in the air. This CPU has changed everything. I'm thinking about getting the GTX 980 to get another 10 fps or so in P3D.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

4790K_Validation_zps8f3ee94c.jpgHi everyone,

Just wanted to share my findings on the 4790K. In short, I've purchased 6 different Haswell CPUs that I've used over the past year or so in client builds and best OC has been 4.7GHz. My first purchase of the 4790K has gone well so far:

• 5.0GHz (stress tested Aida64 9 hours; 25 passes with IBT). I'm certain it can clock higher
  • Batch Number: L336D105 (Micro Center, Chicago, IL)
  • 1.40Vcore
  • Disabled Hyper-threading (I always disable HT)
  • Delid
  • Liquid Metal between die and Intel heat spreader
  • Cool Jag TIM between CPU and XSPC Raystorm waterblock
  • Swifttech MCP35X Pump
  • Dual 240MM rad
  • 2 ASUS Poseidon GTX 780s SLI

Thank you Jake, just ordered the exact same system only I already had a GTX 970 here so will go with that... Been out of simming pretty much all year due to health issues so excited to get a new build going and get back into it...  I am coming from an i52500k at 4.8 so should be a huge jump!   Anyone want a 780 SC btw  ;)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I am coming from an i52500k at 4.8 so should be a huge jump!

Did you get your system up and running? See much of an improvement? I have a 2600k @ 4.8 and thinking of going with a 4790k also.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+