Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

PMDG 777 SP1 VAS usage

More food for thought...

If you are flying an aircraft that typically flys above say, FL250, then there really isn't a need for hi-res textures and other eye candy on the ground right?  With the exception of good airports (for accuracy and a little extra boost of realism), you could quite possibly get away with basic low-res, low autogen settings for scenery, which should help free up the VAS in the long run.  I bought the T7 last year and realized at that moment that I was upgrading to a new type of flight experience.  So much has been done on the inside as far as the cockpit goes that we really need not be concerned with what is being seen outside, except for weather and while we are at / going to airports.

Maybe I'm not making sense, but I guess the point I am trying to make is that when you fly the T7, it is more important to concentrate on the aircraft and what it does, rather than taking leisurely strolls and burning weeds. :)

Now I am sure I will get browbeaten from folks who want the best realism possible, taking into account screenshot enthusiasts as well and I do apologize in advance.  For me personally, when I made the decision to purchase and fly the T7, it was a commitment to extending my passion for flying, well beyond the basics and into something serious.  Do to physical limitations since I was a child, my dreams of being a commercial pilot were crushed, so flying a sim is the next best thing, not to mention understanding everything I can about flight.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I fully agree: The PMDG T7 is about system simulation, not about exploring scenery and sight-seeing during VFR flights.

You can easily define a couple of graphics profiles within your sim (high visual quality for GA flying, medium quality for airliner flying, low quality for night flying).

So you can switch your graphics settings back and forth according to the flight you're about to do, without ever touching a single slider again, by simply loading a different profile.

I fully agree: The PMDG T7 is about system simulation, not about exploring scenery and sight-seeing during VFR flights.

You can easily define a couple of graphics profiles within your sim (high visual quality for GA flying, medium quality for airliner flying, low quality for night flying).

So you can switch your graphics settings back and forth according to the flight you're about to do, without ever touching a single slider again, by simply loading a different profile.

Agreed across the board and yep, yet another feature of FSX I totally gloss over and that's creating multiple profiles. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I am not going to start browbeating you because I totally agree. Fly a Cessna at low altitude and OrbX global / vector or similar is great, but then the Cessna is smaller, less textures, less workings so lower VAS and you can get away with it. You want nice scenery so you turn things up. When flying the 777 are 30000ft plus and the most you will see is clouds and a bit of land a long way down. Yes on takeoffs in turns you will see some and again on landing, but you need to be reasonable with your expectations on a simulator already pushed to it's limits. 

Kyle, your post really said nothing you political devil you  .  I do like how you admitted to getting some OOM dings.  I'd love to hear the story behind yours.

haha - yeah, I tried hard to maintain a pretty neutral stance, but again, mostly because I don't have hard evidence either way.

The OOM dings a while ago were caused by my autogen slider being maxed.  Dropped it one level, never saw them again until I flew into KSEA (in the NGX), but that was also because my orbx scenery glitched out and populated autogen EVERYWHERE (to include all over the runways/taxiways of the airport).  That was caused by an error in running one of the utilities to switch orbx regions, along with my failure to get rid of an old KSEA.bgl.

Kyle Rodgers

More food for thought...

..upgrading to a new type of flight experience...  

I made the decision to purchase and fly the T7, it was a commitment to extending my passion for flying, well beyond the basics and into something serious.  

not to mention understanding everything I can about flight.

The same for me and I like your wording!

- TONY -