Sign in to follow this  
TheRedBadger

Installed scenery causes AI traffic to disappear

Again Peter has hit the nail on the head. Do yourself a favor and do not try to jump ahead of the learning curve. Learn how to install scenery correctly and without fail. Repeatedly attempting to remove and then add scenery will most likely eventually end up with FS9 having a corrupted scenery.cfg file and FS9 will crash (BTW there are utilities to fix that).

Take the time to understand how things work (or not) in FS9, then start with the basics. Here is a list of files from here on AVSIM that will help a great deal.

fs9tutor.zip

fs9tutup.zip

how_to_install_ai.zip

Also note that once you start using WOAI and start installing airlines you may likely run into another problem. If the airline you install was not included in the stock FS9 Airlines.cfg file (located in your FS9 / Aircraft folder) and in the " voicepack " file (located in your FS9 / Sound folder) then you will not hear the installed airlines call sign at all. You will need ; editvoicepack31.zip and possibly to download the needed airline "Evp" file.

You might also wish to find and download various utilities such as Ttools and Airport Design Editor or AFCAD 2.21 just to read the help and tutorials in order to better understand what is happening when you add traffic and where the files go as well as the requirements placed on airports so they will handle the increased traffic.

I hope this helps you get things working right and keeps your FS9 running smooth.

Best regards,

Again, I'm too late here (with regards to your profile: I had to lead my trombone choir in real life yesterday in the evening) and can only second what Peter and Mel adviced.

You should

1. Undo you "installation" of EDDF by just moving the files into the Addon Scenery subfolders. Check if traffic re-appears.

If no: If you haven't many add-ons so far you should consider a clean Re-install of FS2004. Run the FS9.1 patch. Perhaps make a backup of your so far "untouched" FS2004 installation, just in case....

If yes:

2. Install EDDF the way it's described, pay attention on the behavior of the scenery library under Win7 (and likely Win8, too) described in post #12.

3. Although I prefer to insert AI traffic manually*, at this stage you should indeed rely on WOAI packages. Start the WOAI installer available here, point to the WOAI package you want to install and you should have AI traffic after you start your FS9 new.

* there's nothing bad with the installer, I just have another system of naming aircraft folders, organizing my traffic files etc. This is, like Mel says, a project for later times. But you will have opportunities to study the way AI traffic works if you get Traffic Tools (TTools), study the readme and decompile on of WOAIs traffic_xxx.bgl files (find them under FS9\Scenery\World\Scenery). After decompiling, you will get txt files within TTools for aircrafts, airports and flightplans. Look at the txt files how they interact with each other and with the aircraft.cfg files of the new installed planes (in the FS9\Aircraft folder). You soon will be able to use traffic packages coming without installers and to install repaints and assign them to flight plans. Of all possibilities to enhance our FS2004, this was the first thing I learned.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Again Peter has hit the nail on the head. Do yourself a favor and do not try to jump ahead of the learning curve. Learn how to install scenery correctly and without fail. Repeatedly attempting to remove and then add scenery will most likely eventually end up with FS9 having a corrupted scenery.cfg file and FS9 will crash (BTW there are utilities to fix that).

Take the time to understand how things work (or not) in FS9, then start with the basics. Here is a list of files from here on AVSIM that will help a great deal.

fs9tutor.zip

fs9tutup.zip

how_to_install_ai.zip

Also note that once you start using WOAI and start installing airlines you may likely run into another problem. If the airline you install was not included in the stock FS9 Airlines.cfg file (located in your FS9 / Aircraft folder) and in the " voicepack " file (located in your FS9 / Sound folder) then you will not hear the installed airlines call sign at all. You will need ; editvoicepack31.zip and possibly to download the needed airline "Evp" file.

You might also wish to find and download various utilities such as Ttools and Airport Design Editor or AFCAD 2.21 just to read the help and tutorials in order to better understand what is happening when you add traffic and where the files go as well as the requirements placed on airports so they will handle the increased traffic.

I hope this helps you get things working right and keeps your FS9 running smooth.

Best regards,

Again, I'm too late here (with regards to your profile: I had to lead my trombone choir in real life yesterday in the evening) and can only second what Peter and Mel adviced.

You should

1. Undo you "installation" of EDDF by just moving the files into the Addon Scenery subfolders. Check if traffic re-appears.

If no: If you haven't many add-ons so far you should consider a clean Re-install of FS2004. Run the FS9.1 patch. Perhaps make a backup of your so far "untouched" FS2004 installation, just in case....

If yes:

2. Install EDDF the way it's described, pay attention on the behavior of the scenery library under Win7 (and likely Win8, too) described in post #12.

3. Although I prefer to insert AI traffic manually*, at this stage you should indeed rely on WOAI packages. Start the WOAI installer available here, point to the WOAI package you want to install and you should have AI traffic after you start your FS9 new.

* there's nothing bad with the installer, I just have another system of naming aircraft folders, organizing my traffic files etc. This is, like Mel says, a project for later times. But you will have opportunities to study the way AI traffic works if you get Traffic Tools (TTools), study the readme and decompile on of WOAIs traffic_xxx.bgl files (find them under FS9\Scenery\World\Scenery). After decompiling, you will get txt files within TTools for aircrafts, airports and flightplans. Look at the txt files how they interact with each other and with the aircraft.cfg files of the new installed planes (in the FS9\Aircraft folder). You soon will be able to use traffic packages coming without installers and to install repaints and assign them to flight plans. Of all possibilities to enhance our FS2004, this was the first thing I learned.

I finally got it to work. Apparently, after clicking on "ok" on the dialogue, I was supposed to click on the white space in the box so that it can close....how was I supposed to know that  :angry: ?!!? But thanks! It works!

BUT, even after running the WOAI traffic installer and successfully installing the AI traffic I wanted (AA, A-Eagle, Southwest, Lufthansa), it seems the aircraft are all missing. For some reason, I still hear Lufthansa callsigns getting called out when I'm flying (even though I'm not sure where it's coming from). I did install the DFW airport into FS9 (with the proper procedure of course). Here's the install link:

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=148948

I'm going to assume I need the MRAI to install flight plans, am I right? You would think the AI traffic would already have somewhere to go once installed.

O.K., so we know that FS9 behaves the same strange way under Win8 as I described it for Win7 in my post 12.

If you use WOAI packages and install them with the WOAI Installer, you should find

- the new traffic_xxx.bgl files under [your FS9 directory]\Scenery\World\Scenery - they contain the flightplans in a compiled form; you would need TrafficTools to decompile them (not the task for the moment...) and

- the new airplanes under [your FS9 directory]\Aircraft

I downloaded the Lufthansa WOAI package WOAI's site refers to - its a Summer 2009 package...

However, I testwise installed it and I got

- a file "Traffic_000_WoA_Lufthansa_Su09.bgl" in [my FS9 directory]\Scenery\World\Scenery

- 13 new planes in [your FS9 directory]\Aircraft; their folders begin with "WoA_"

With these files all aircraft should show up fine. Can you confirm you got the same after installing?

By the way, which traffic density did you set (in%)?

Please, take your time to check. I will be here again tomorrow, as it's late night here in my sphere.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I'm going to assume I need the MRAI to install flight plans, am I right? You would think the AI traffic would already have somewhere to go once installed.

To make it perfectly clear; no you don't need MRAI to install the flight plans. As long as you are using WOAI, WOAI has the Ttool flight plan installer / compiler and will install the flight plans for you. That is as per Haralds post, if they are are being sent to the proper location in FS9.

Again I will second Haralds post above, that you should make sure all of your files are actually going where they belong so things work properly. And again as Harald suggests, make certain you traffic density is set at 100% at least for now just to make sure you are seeing everything that is available is indeed installed. Here is a suggestion; Since you have DLH - Lufthansa install(?) start a flight with the default Cessna C172 at the busiest / largest German airport at daylight on a Sunday morning, that should show the most DLH aircraft still on the ground. Put your C172 in slew mode and look around the airport and observe how large the number of aircraft you see is or is not.

Regards,

To make it perfectly clear; no you don't need MRAI to install the flight plans. As long as you are using WOAI, WOAI has the Ttool flight plan installer / compiler and will install the flight plans for you. That is as per Haralds post, if they are are being sent to the proper location in FS9.

Again I will second Haralds post above, that you should make sure all of your files are actually going where they belong so things work properly. And again as Harald suggests, make certain you traffic density is set at 100% at least for now just to make sure you are seeing everything that is available is indeed installed. Here is a suggestion; Since you have DLH - Lufthansa install(?) start a flight with the default Cessna C172 at the busiest / largest German airport at daylight on a Sunday morning, that should show the most DLH aircraft still on the ground. Put your C172 in slew mode and look around the airport and observe how large the number of aircraft you see is or is not.

Regards,

O.K., so we know that FS9 behaves the same strange way under Win8 as I described it for Win7 in my post 12.

If you use WOAI packages and install them with the WOAI Installer, you should find

- the new traffic_xxx.bgl files under [your FS9 directory]\Scenery\World\Scenery - they contain the flightplans in a compiled form; you would need TrafficTools to decompile them (not the task for the moment...) and

- the new airplanes under [your FS9 directory]\Aircraft

I downloaded the Lufthansa WOAI package WOAI's site refers to - its a Summer 2009 package...

However, I testwise installed it and I got

- a file "Traffic_000_WoA_Lufthansa_Su09.bgl" in [my FS9 directory]\Scenery\World\Scenery

- 13 new planes in [your FS9 directory]\Aircraft; their folders begin with "WoA_"

With these files all aircraft should show up fine. Can you confirm you got the same after installing?

By the way, which traffic density did you set (in%)?

Please, take your time to check. I will be here again tomorrow, as it's late night here in my sphere.

I got it all figured out. I just needed to select a directory.... :blush: Thanks!

So now you see the Lufthansa AI planes at EDDF?

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg