Sign in to follow this  
TheRedBadger

Installed scenery causes AI traffic to disappear

As the title says, I installed two sceneries into the simulator. Upon launching FS9, all AI traffic is missing, with the scenery and textures working fine. I realize some websites suggested looking for a traffic.bgl file that the addon scenery folder contained, but you can see for yourself that there are none in the folders:

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=108372

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=74698

Again, the sceneries work, but AI traffic disappears.

Thanks for the assistance if you provide any!

Again, the sceneries work, but AI traffic disappears.

Let me ask, . . . ,if you disable those two sceneries, do the AI then reappear? What are you using for AI and for your traffic files and where are your traffic files located? All of your traffic files should be in;  "Your FS9 Installation" / Scenery / World / Scenery" folder..

I downloaded both files and gave them a quick look ( without installing them ) and found nothing obvious that could cause your problem. There is an AFCAD file for KAUS and you might want to check and make sure that you have no duplicate anywhere. That in its self wouldn't cause your problem though, just a precaution.

If the AI traffic does reappear when you disable those two sceneries, choose one of the two and enable it. If the AI appear then the problem is related to the other scenery. If the AI do not reappear, disable again the one you chose and enable the other. Check to see if the AI reappear. If they do then we've narrowed the problem to the first one you chose. I should point out that the scenery shouldn't effect the AI traffic. None the less something is going wrong. That is the reason for the questions. The more informed I / we are of your FS9 set up and the way you've done things the easier it will be to find clues. I do have a couple of ideas, but I / we will wait for your answers.

Regards,

At EDDF default traffic is shown correctly, even if they only are parked at non coded parkings. Of course, Orbit and Landmark aren't DHL!

Bernard

Let me ask, . . . ,if you disable those two sceneries, do the AI then reappear? What are you using for AI and for your traffic files and where are your traffic files located? All of your traffic files should be in;  "Your FS9 Installation" / Scenery / World / Scenery" folder..

I downloaded both files and gave them a quick look ( without installing them ) and found nothing obvious that could cause your problem. There is an AFCAD file for KAUS and you might want to check and make sure that you have no duplicate anywhere. That in its self wouldn't cause your problem though, just a precaution.

If the AI traffic does reappear when you disable those two sceneries, choose one of the two and enable it. If the AI appear then the problem is related to the other scenery. If the AI do not reappear, disable again the one you chose and enable the other. Check to see if the AI reappear. If they do then we've narrowed the problem to the first one you chose. I should point out that the scenery shouldn't effect the AI traffic. None the less something is going wrong. That is the reason for the questions. The more informed I / we are of your FS9 set up and the way you've done things the easier it will be to find clues. I do have a couple of ideas, but I / we will wait for your answers.

Regards,

Uninstalling the sceneries returned the AI traffic. I reinstalled them and the AI aircraft were present. However, with traffic at 100%, the most aircraft visible were 1 or 2 out in the distant sky. The airport was basically empty. I guess that's the updated problem.

However, with traffic at 100%, the most aircraft visible were 1 or 2

Are we talking about default traffic or added on traffic and If your using add on traffic, which airlines? I will focus on KAUS first. The AFCAD that is supplied with the scenery is somewhat out of date, for example, COA and NWA no longer exist unless of course you are using older flight plans that include them. Just wasted parking spaces at worst. If you are using just the default traffic I wouldn't expect to see much. Please let me know which or what combination of traffic you are using. On my set up with every US and 90% of the worlds airlines represented and at the time I am writing this, there where 5 SWA, 3 commuters and 4 GA at the airport.

Regards,

Hi,

I can confirm for this EDDF scenery that I used it a couple of years without traffic disappearing. Of course I have dense traffic of all European major airlines. If I would have stock traffic I could imagine that at an airport like EDDF it hides somewhere between the buildings or at a remote place. Btw I checked both afcad files (the one for EDDF is named "AM_EDDF_2D.bgl") and both have parking space sized appropriate for airliners. The only problematic thing I can say about KAUS after a short look is that a Landclass file is hidden within the scenery files, but that has nothing to do with AI traffic.

Which way did you "install"/"deinstall" the sceneries? As they come with no self-executing installer, I presume you did copy them into a folder of your choice, for instance "Addon Scenery" and activated them in the scenery library then?

But at first please answer to Mel's question regarding your AI traffic.

Thanks!

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Are we talking about default traffic or added on traffic and If your using add on traffic, which airlines? I will focus on KAUS first. The AFCAD that is supplied with the scenery is somewhat out of date, for example, COA and NWA no longer exist unless of course you are using older flight plans that include them. Just wasted parking spaces at worst. If you are using just the default traffic I wouldn't expect to see much. Please let me know which or what combination of traffic you are using. On my set up with every US and 90% of the worlds airlines represented and at the time I am writing this, there where 5 SWA, 3 commuters and 4 GA at the airport.

Regards,

I haven't added any traffic. I currently only have default traffic available.

So basically I am going to need add-on traffic if I am to use the scenery, since the airport terminal isn't quite compatible with the default traffic. This would probably also apply with Frankfurt, whose airport is mainly occupied by Lufthansa.

Hi,

I can confirm for this EDDF scenery that I used it a couple of years without traffic disappearing. Of course I have dense traffic of all European major airlines. If I would have stock traffic I could imagine that at an airport like EDDF it hides somewhere between the buildings or at a remote place. Btw I checked both afcad files (the one for EDDF is named "AM_EDDF_2D.bgl") and both have parking space sized appropriate for airliners. The only problematic thing I can say about KAUS after a short look is that a Landclass file is hidden within the scenery files, but that has nothing to do with AI traffic.

Which way did you "install"/"deinstall" the sceneries? As they come with no self-executing installer, I presume you did copy them into a folder of your choice, for instance "Addon Scenery" and activated them in the scenery library then?

But at first please answer to Mel's question regarding your AI traffic.

Thanks!

Harald

I tried just putting the folders in the first addon scenery folder, but that didn't work, so I took all the scenery and texture files from the EDDF and Austin folders and put them in their respective folders (inside the existing "scenery" and "textures" folders).

I tried just putting the folders in the first addon scenery folder, but that didn't work, so I took all the scenery and texture files from the EDDF and Austin folders and put them in their respective folders (inside the existing "scenery" and "textures" folders).

No, that is not the way to install it. The readme tells you how:

First-Time Installation: =============

Decompress the archive into a temporary folder and be sure to preserve the folder structure.

You should see two folders: "Effects" and "Addon Scenery".

In the "Effects" folder you can see several files and another folder "texture".

Copy these files and the "texture" folder into the "Effects"-Folder of your Flight Simulator,

e.g. "c:\Games\Flight Simulator 9\Effects".

Inside the "Addon Scenery" folder, you can find the folder "AM_EDDF" with two subfolders.

Copy the "AM_EDDF" folder with its subfolders into the "Addon Scenery" folder of your Flight Simulator,

e.g. "c:\Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery".

Start Microsoft Flight Simulator 9.

Click on "Settings". After that on "Scenery Library" and "Add Area".

In the following dialog double click on "Addon Scenery" and then select "AM_EDDF".

Click "Ok" (to add the EDDF scenery to your library).

You have to close and restart MS Flight Simulator 9 to complete the installation

Peter Schluter

So basically I am going to need add-on traffic if I am to use the scenery, since the airport terminal isn't quite compatible with the default traffic. This would probably also apply with Frankfurt, whose airport is mainly occupied by Lufthansa.

It isn't really that the scenery ( either one ) is not compatible with the default traffic. The AFCAD files for both EDDF and KAUS have assigned parking, meaning that a code is used so that AI aircraft with the same assigned code will use them, that is the basic explanation. The default aircraft do not have a code assigned so in this case they will park where there is a spot without a code that is large enough for the aircraft.

Pay special attention to Peters' post above - #8 - I'm sure that is the source of your original problem.

Best regards,

Pay special attention to Peters' post above - #8 - I'm sure that is the source of your original problem.

I can only second that. You get a mixture of files else you can't handle; or worse, several sceneries with files of the same name will overwrite each other. Theoretically, your AI traffic file "as such" will not be affected, but who knows what else is overwritten or duplicated so that none of the sceneries works correct anymore.

If you have Win7 as operating system, don't forget to run FS2004 as administrator.

By the way, you won't do anything incorrect by installing Lufthansa traffic (for instance an easy-to-install World of AI package from here) and see what happens at Frankfurt.

Good luck! ... and don't hesitate to ask or post a further report.

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

No, that is not the way to install it. The readme tells you how:

First-Time Installation: =============

Decompress the archive into a temporary folder and be sure to preserve the folder structure.

You should see two folders: "Effects" and "Addon Scenery".

In the "Effects" folder you can see several files and another folder "texture".

Copy these files and the "texture" folder into the "Effects"-Folder of your Flight Simulator,

e.g. "c:\Games\Flight Simulator 9\Effects".

Inside the "Addon Scenery" folder, you can find the folder "AM_EDDF" with two subfolders.

Copy the "AM_EDDF" folder with its subfolders into the "Addon Scenery" folder of your Flight Simulator,

e.g. "c:\Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery".

Start Microsoft Flight Simulator 9.

Click on "Settings". After that on "Scenery Library" and "Add Area".

In the following dialog double click on "Addon Scenery" and then select "AM_EDDF".

Click "Ok" (to add the EDDF scenery to your library).

You have to close and restart MS Flight Simulator 9 to complete the installation

When I click on the AM_EDDF folder when FS9 is loaded,  it prompts me to select the "scenery" or "texture" folder in the dialog (I am able to see the contents of the EDDF folder rather than just exiting out of the dialog box). I click on either one and it just says "this folder is empty". Clicking OK anymore times just does nothing. I was able to properly install the sceneries by just taking the BGL files from both the AUS and EDDF folders into their respective folders, and it worked. Unless this method is responsible for the AI traffic, then we still aren't sure why AI traffic is almost not prominent at 100%.

I can only second that. You get a mixture of files else you can't handle; or worse, several sceneries with files of the same name will overwrite each other. Theoretically, your AI traffic file "as such" will not be affected, but who knows what else is overwritten or duplicated so that none of the sceneries works correct anymore.

If you have Win7 as operating system, don't forget to run FS2004 as administrator.

By the way, you won't do anything incorrect by installing Lufthansa traffic (for instance an easy-to-install World of AI package from here) and see what happens at Frankfurt.

Good luck! ... and don't hesitate to ask or post a further report.

Harald

So if all gates have an assigned spot for certain AI aircraft, in theory I will see no AI aircraft with the default traffic installed?

I'll try installing the Lufthansa AI traffic once all else is sorted out (also, for some reason the link it provides me for the installation brings me to a "page not found" page).

I have Windows 8.

So if all gates have an assigned spot for certain AI aircraft, in theory I will see no AI aircraft with the default traffic installed?

Hi,

they show up, but they may show up at any gate somewhere all over the airport. But if you had Lufthansa traffic, the Lufthansa planes would stand at their assigned gates. And at EDDF, Lufthansa planes alone will likely be much more planes than the handful planes of stock AI traffic.

it prompts me to select the "scenery" or "texture" folder in the dialog (I am able to see the contents of the EDDF folder rather than just exiting out of the dialog box)

I have no knowledge about Win8, but with Win7 there's one thing to care about. If you have clicked at the AM_Folder and you see a "scenery" and a "texture" folder, click at the white field beside/below these folders. Now you should have selected the scenery to be added to the scenery library. Go out of the library, end FS9, start it again and check.

I hope it works.

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi,

they show up, but they may show up at any gate somewhere all over the airport. But if you had Lufthansa traffic, the Lufthansa planes would stand at their assigned gates. And at EDDF, Lufthansa planes alone will likely be much more planes than the handful planes of stock AI traffic.

I have no knowledge about Win8, but with Win7 there's one thing to care about. If you have clicked at the AM_Folder and you see a "scenery" and a "texture" folder, click at the white field beside/below these folders. Now you should have selected the scenery to be added to the scenery library. Go out of the library, end FS9, start it again and check.

I hope it works.

Regards,

Harald

The scenery and textures are in fs9, so that's not a problem.

I recently installed some Lufthansa traffic into FS9. However, I am not familiar with that type of add-on and it didn't not install into fs9 (there was no Lufthansa traffic present). Perhaps you could give me some basic instructions on how to install it, please? Here's the one I downloaded:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=scenery&file=DLH_AI_Traffic.zip

The scenery and textures are in fs9, so that's not a problem.

I recently installed some Lufthansa traffic into FS9. However, I am not familiar with that type of add-on and it didn't not install into fs9 (there was no Lufthansa traffic present). Perhaps you could give me some basic instructions on how to install it, please? Here's the one I downloaded:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=scenery&file=DLH_AI_Traffic.zip

"The scenery and textures are in FS9, so that's not a problem"....what does that mean ? If you want to install addon scenery you need to install it correctly, or you will encounter problems down the line.

The file you linked to is DLH traffic from 2005. It contains an auto-installer I have no intention of executing on my computer. Use WOAI traffic, it will contain much more up to date models and the plans won't be 9 years out of date.

Peter Schluter

"The scenery and textures are in FS9, so that's not a problem"....what does that mean ? If you want to install addon scenery you need to install it correctly, or you will encounter problems down the line.

The file you linked to is DLH traffic from 2005. It contains an auto-installer I have no intention of executing on my computer. Use WOAI traffic, it will contain much more up to date models and the plans won't be 9 years out of date.

Hmm. I tried what you said, but then X happened:

When I click on the AM_EDDF folder when FS9 is loaded,  it prompts me to select the "scenery" or "texture" folder in the dialog (I am able to see the contents of the EDDF folder rather than just exiting out of the dialog box). I click on either one and it just says "this folder is empty". Clicking OK anymore times just does nothing.

Hrmm, I guess I'll be searching for WOAI traffic!