Sign in to follow this  
Alex Kulak

How close to realism

I remember reading a manual that said that the cockpit door was non-functional on purpose, and that its something only real world pilots and the cabin crew should know how to operate

All to relevance, I believe we all understand. So much resource, so much time.

Hi,

Lack of beautiful stewardess who bring you a coffee into the cockpit (and maybe..give you their cell-phone number) is the most serious issue...

Ciao

Andrea

Hi,

Lack of beautiful stewardess who bring you a coffee into the cockpit (and maybe..give you their cell-phone number) is the most serious issue...

Ciao

Andrea

Haha brilliant

Vernon Howells

Overall it's pretty close, but not perfect.  VNAV in particular does not quite behave the same as the real airplane does, but again it's pretty close.  Other little things, such as the tendency of the A/T disconnect light flashing amber while decelerating, I've never seen the actual airplane do that but that probably has more to do with FSX flight dynamics than anything else.

None of this is intended as a complaint or nit-picking.  Overall the accuracy is impressive.

...During single engine approach (fail operational version) real plane has the possibility to re-engade autothrottle ( the APU generator of the affected side (the side with inoperative engine) must be on) and execute a completely automatic (A/T and A/P) autoland (page 208 Boeing 737 FCTM). Our NGX can execute single engine autolands very well but you've to use manual throttle..no chanche to re-engage A/T after an engine failure...

I don't believe that VNAV is not well-modelled: also on the real bird you haven't to trust always in VNAV capacity: during descent i.e. a strong tailwind can create a lot of problem also to the real VNAV...I experience this situation often in a real "Fixed Base Trainer" B738 simulator...sometimes you need to use FL CHG playing with SPD INT knob and speed-brakes..and always you've to think ahead during descent phase veryfing continously your distance to go vs. your altitude (the famous "3" thumb rules i.e. FL300 100 miles etc.)

If I well-remember there is something missing regarding some kinds of RNP approaches: i.e. VNAV BARO approaches (executed in LNAV/VNAV).

It's seems to remember ngx can do i.e. IAN approaches (i.e. VOR approach flown like an ILS in approach mode till minima) but it's missing about some other rnp approaches procedures..(radius to fix vnav baro or some other)..

Ciao

Andrea

Can someone explain to me what they think ACARS is?

I rarely come across a post where it seems people actually comprehend what it is.

Kyle Rodgers

the cockpit door switch doesnt open the door.

The only thing that opens the door in the real airplane is someones hand on the knob. 

I rarely come across a post where it seems people actually comprehend what it is.

It's the piece of software VAs use to track pilots, no?

*ducks and runs away from Kyle in a zig-zagging manner*

It's that thing that vastly improves your on-time performance when it's not operational. :)

Hi,

Ciao

Andrea

more like lack of passengers

I'll at least try it.

ACARS is a communication system like... year a mail system to your airline. AFAIK most messages are going to the airline automaticly like on-block, off-block, fuel messages. Also it's possible to get weather forecasts and actual situation for a specific airport long time before atis is in range so someone can plan a STAR or look for notam's for a specific runway. Also on short-medium hauls you can tell your passengers about weather at destination just on departure airport (every pax likes to get telled, it's rainy and cold on home airport when coming from holiday's in southern europe flying home... -_- ).

I don't know but got told, NAT clearance or at least planning is possible using ACARS (expect Track B,...).

For the simulator only the weather thing is worth to be used but it is possible using weather views in FSGRW and I think in every other weather tool also.

It's the piece of software VAs use to track pilots, no?

*ducks and runs away from Kyle in a zig-zagging manner*

haha

It's that thing that vastly improves your on-time performance when it's not operational. :)

That's pretty legit, actually.  My favorite customer was Colgan when I worked the ramp because I was pretty chummy with that pilot group.  If there was ever a chance of a delay between a Colgan SF34 and someone else's ACARS-equipped ERJ, I'd ask the SF34 crew if we could push the other guys first to get their ACARS OUT time on the money, and most of the Colgan crews would just report the OUT time as on time when they called their numbers in later.

So...pretty accurate  :P

ACARS is a communication system like... year a mail system to your airline. AFAIK most messages are going to the airline automaticly like on-block, off-block, fuel messages. Also it's possible to get weather forecasts and actual situation for a specific airport long time before atis is in range so someone can plan a STAR or look for notam's for a specific runway. Also on short-medium hauls you can tell your passengers about weather at destination just on departure airport (every pax likes to get telled, it's rainy and cold on home airport when coming from holiday's in southern europe flying home...  ).

Okay, so someone gets it...that's a start.

I don't know but got told, NAT clearance or at least planning is possible using ACARS (expect Track B,...).

This is true, but before CPDLC, I think it was through a relaying service.  ATC provides to the carrier, who then relays the message via ACARS on an "ATC Clears..." type of clearance (in line with 4-2-2 of the JO 7110.65).

With CPDLC, it's a direct connection between facility (down to the controller, actually, and not just a central position in the facility) and the crew.

Kyle Rodgers

Okay, so someone gets it...that's a start.

So basicaly, you are saying we are all stupid..?

( ...and your question is blantonly asking if anyone knows what it is so you can then post why people are asking for something they dont have a clue about)

...Kyle, your not the only person to have ever read a book...or worked with planes, or in customer service...

Luke Pype

So basicaly, you are saying we are all stupid..?

( ...and your question is blantonly asking if anyone knows what it is so you can then post why people are asking for something they dont have a clue about)

...Kyle, your not the only person to have ever read a book...or worked with planes, or in customer service...

No, I'm blatantly saying that people should know what they're asking for.

People are asking for ACARS.  Anyone can provide you an ACARS interface.  The issue is staffing the other end, because ACARS is a communication tool, not just a weather delivery tool, or an OOOI time generator.  Who is going to be the official data provider for weather?  How can VAs connect into this for providing company flight plans?  How can they connect into it to provide free text service?

I know I'm not the only one who has done those things.  I'm simply asking that, before everyone works themselves into a tizzy over something, they have a clue what they're asking for.  The reason for this is that it's pretty upsetting, as someone in the know, to see someone say "it should be pretty simple to implement," when it's a lot more complex than they're thinking because they haven't bothered to understand what it really is.

Also, instead of over-analyzing and picking at my points, which were really, actually meant to be pretty benign, you might want to spend time reading the forum rules:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

Kyle Rodgers