Sign in to follow this  
Alex Kulak

How close to realism

So basicaly, you are saying we are all stupid..?

I'd say the old Kyle with it's uncle sarcasm has looked around the cornor... but how often do you read a question already answered in manuals? And if using such a complex simulation, the manual isn't tl;dr! You'll answer questions again and again. Sure there is some room for improvements like FAQ's pinned in forum etc. Looking through forum you can see many questions where the thread title doesn't describe the question at all like "help me, real pilots needed" etc...

Some guy's are questioning "features" which doesn't exist on real airplane or are asking features they doesn't know about so this questions seems legal to me.

ACARS is a very shadowy feature for an average simmer. I have seen people requesting ACARS without having any clue what that would entail, so... yes. I see where Kyle is coming from.

One example would be a forumer who thought that ACARS meant that OOOI times would be recorded and shown, as it was in the original NG model.

The other believed that it was for ASN weather uplink (and nothing else).

Yet other people wrote posts that suggested they thought PMDG was going to give them a way to log hours for their VA without running a separate piece of software (hence my original post).

It's not that people are stupid. It's that people don't really know what X is, because they have (or had) no reason to know. This is actually pretty typical of many simisms, people might see a part of something, and assume the same holds true for whole. I think a good example would be the idea of a lot of people, that cold&dark is actually some default state that happens before every flight or at least with every crew change. Meanwhile, in real airline world, it is comparatively rare for a pilot to see an airplane turned off completely. 

For me, the flight model is a big obstacle in FSX... It lacks some fluidity, thermal and turbulence modeling etc. ASN and Accu-feel try to do the possible to overcome these flaws, but would be nice to see another platform with better fight dynamics and performance.

to the OP : the short and simple answer without getting into details for 69.99 its too real enough for home use and i got a good chunk of hours on the real thing :-) , hope that gives you good  idea.... 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Other little things, such as the tendency of the A/T disconnect light flashing amber while decelerating, I've never seen the actual airplane do that but that probably has more to do with FSX flight dynamics than anything else.
That's just an option. First time I saw that, I wondered, "Did I miss that when I was flying 737s the first time?" No, it's just a "Drag Required" light.

Matt Cee

Leaving all the real world things ACARS does, it would be really cool to have an ACARS interface implemented in the NGX to show data received via the SDK from a VA's program. I don't actually expect such a feature to ever be implemented on the NGX (maybe future projects, who knows), but it would be really immersive and cool.

Cristi Neagu

It's not that people are stupid. It's that people don't really know what X is, because they have (or had) no reason to know. This is actually pretty typical of many simisms, people might see a part of something, and assume the same holds true for whole. I think a good example would be the idea of a lot of people, that cold&dark is actually some default state that happens before every flight or at least with every crew change. Meanwhile, in real airline world, it is comparatively rare for a pilot to see an airplane turned off completely. 

Bingo.  Thanks Peter.  I'm glad to have people around here who can translate my typically (unfortunately) boorish posting manner into something more eloquent.

Kyle Rodgers

That's just an option. First time I saw that, I wondered, "Did I miss that when I was flying 737s the first time?" No, it's just a "Drag Required" light.

I don't really understand what you are writing. Does the flashing A/T disconnect mean drag is required? Or is it just a nuisance because of FSX? I always figured drag required would show up on the CDU.

I don't really understand what you are writing. Does the flashing A/T disconnect mean drag is required? Or is it just a nuisance because of FSX? I always figured drag required would show up on the CDU.

I might be wrong but I think the flashing AT light is just saying "I have the throttles all the way down and we're still going too fast. Do something." So that is the AT complaining. Then you have the message in the CDU which is VNAV complaining that the profile's to steep.

Cristi Neagu

I might be wrong but I think the flashing AT light is just saying "I have the throttles all the way down and we're still going too fast. Do something." So that is the AT complaining. Then you have the message in the CDU which is VNAV complaining that the profile's to steep.

Yes, it is effectively saying, "I need negative thrust here people!!" - IE speed brakes or even drop the gear if you really need to. 

It will show up on the CDU when the plane can't maintain the profile. However, if the A/T is struggling with the profile and with maintaining a selected speed just slightly, you will see the A/T diconnect light flashing. Usually you'll only see that flashing light during descent or when fighting strong winds and windshifts in cruise. 

It will show up on the CDU when the plane can't maintain the profile. However, if the A/T is struggling with the profile and with maintaining a selected speed just slightly, you will see the A/T diconnect light flashing. Usually you'll only see that flashing light during descent or when fighting strong winds and windshifts in cruise.

Yes, it is effectively saying, "I need negative thrust here people!!" - IE speed brakes or even drop the gear if you really need to.

Thanks for the relies. I have never seen it flash during cruise but then I have the turbulence at 40% in ASN.

Thanks again.

Anybody noticed something about too large cockpit windows.

I fully agree with that. I assume the current cockpit windows measures the blue print of the real B737, however .. in sim it looks indeed too large.

Anybody noticed something about too large cockpit windows.

I fully agree with that. I assume the current cockpit windows measures the blue print of the real B737, however .. in sim it looks indeed too large.

You are trying to be funny, aren't you? That might be the single most discussed topic in the history. Including all history :-)