Sign in to follow this  

'Ghost clouds'

I usually use P3D's weather engine when I fly. I simply like to decide what weather it is today. ^_^ I've been noticing though that P3D's weather engine (just as FSX's weather engine btw) introduces 'ghost clouds' after some time.

Let's say I have one layer of clouds at 13000 to 20000 feet and nothing more. After something like 5 to 10 minutes I see rather flat clouds appear below or near my flying level (usually around 4000 to 8000 feet). They don't look nice at all. Quite ugly, to be honest. When I go to the Weather menu and click on Customize and then twice on OK (without changing anything!) those odd clouds are gone instantly and I only have the weather I wanted again...! But this means I have to go to the Weather every 5 to 10 minutes or so... which obviously is highly annoying and spoils the immersion.

Anyone knows what's causing this and how to remedy it? Or is this simply some sort of limitation/bug in P3D's weather engine?

In one of the settings you have the option to affect the weather over time. Not sure if that is having an effect. I think the default setting might be medium so whilst you are flying around it might be changing the weather.

Just an idea!

Good one! That could be it! I thought that setting had to do with real time weather so I never looked at it but I just checked it and it indeed simply says how often the weather changes: it was on the default medium. Setting the slider to the complete left gave me a No change setting which I never knew existed. I will see what happens on my next flight!

EDIT

Just did a short flight and I didn't see any ghost clouds so this must have been it! Thanks for the tip! This made P3D almost perfect! It was one of the last little annoyances I had and bummer, why didn't I figure this out myself or ask this months ago... ^_^ Right now I have the perfect weather, the perfect plane (A2A Cherokee 180), the perfect scenery (FTX US), the perfect options (cloud shadows are absolutely awesome and I can fly utterly smooth with extremely dense autogen!) so... as I said, it's almost perfect! The only thing missing is first class AA that doesn't bring down performance. ^_^ Not that AA is very bad (I hardly notice it and I am totally immersed in the sim, if that's how you say it) but it could be better.

Great news Jeroen! :) That will also do the same thing in FSX btw.

This made P3D almost perfect!

it's almost perfect!

With the upcoming version 2.3 performance update, how would you describe P3D then? ^_^

With the upcoming version 2.3 performance update, how would you describe P3D then? ^_^

I hope to be out of words by then. ^_^