Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Cat I, II, III decision making for a newb!

Okay i understand these categorys so my question is i just watched 737 800 just planes dvd and the pilots used the ILS approach DA 290 at EDDF rwy 23 now this is a CAT I approach am i thinking right there doing a CAT I landing because the weather is above minimums? Because me being a simmer and lack in knowledge i always do a cat II or whatever i feel like doing. I just won't to do things the right way! Can someone help thanks :D

Vernon Howells

You can do what you want in FSX. 

Cat II and III in the realworld requires special procedures in effect on the airport, like ILS protected areas etc. If the weather is good enough, they shoot the Cat I approaches.

If the minimas are below Cat I (on a Cat II / III approved runway), they use Cat II / III procedures obviously.

The higher you go in CAT, the more precautions you have to take. As in, you cannot hand-fly a CAT III approach, because, by definition, it requires multiple autopilots engaged. So if the weather is nice, and you want to hand fly, you'll do a CAT I approach.

Have you tried searching the net for what CAT means and limitations on them?

Cristi Neagu

Thanks guys for the responses just needed some confirming :) even on a perfect seen videos on youtube pilots flying a cat III suppose to keep current?

Vernon Howells

The higher you go in CAT, the more precautions you have to take. As in, you cannot hand-fly a CAT III approach, because, by definition, it requires multiple autopilots engaged. So if the weather is nice, and you want to hand fly, you'll do a CAT I approach.

Have you tried searching the net for what CAT means and limitations on them?

CAT III is often autoland, but not necessarily. You can do a CAT IIIa down to 50' with AIII HUD.

Matt Cee

You can do a CAT IIIa down to 50' with AIII HUD.

Oh yeah... that slipped my mind.

Cristi Neagu

For the most part, in the real world we use the simplest approach that will get you in. Normally guys will go for the visual and back it up with the basic ILS when the weather is good. Visual means a quicker approach without the long vectors associated with instruments approaches. As the weather degrades, guys will opt for the ILS. The level of ILS flown will be based on the weather. Guys will also shoot the ILS when going into unfamiliar airports, especially when associated with high terrain. If there is a type of approach that you haven't flown in a while, you may opt for it also. Some outfits require that you fly a certain amount of approaches for proficiency. Some guys have to shoot auto landings ever so often so they may fly one even if the weather is severe clear.   

As in, you cannot hand-fly a CAT III approach, because, by definition, it requires multiple autopilots engaged.

We hand fly CAT III approaches using the HUD. Dual autopilot approaches for the 737 fleet are prohibited at my company.

We hand fly CAT III approaches using the HUD. Dual autopilot approaches for the 737 fleet are prohibited at my company.

Yeah, Matt reminded me a bit earlier about that. Was mostly thinking about CAT IIIb in any case.

Cristi Neagu