Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

stereoscopic 3D in P3D (questions)

I am not currently using a 3D monitor, however my next monitor purchase will likely be of a high refresh rate, 3D-capable monitor and I would like to hear from those of you utilizing 3D monitors how P3D looks.  

I have a couple questions:

1) has P3D solved the infamous 3D lighting bug FSX suffers? IOW: are all objects rendered at the correct depth or "level" within the scene?

2) what is the performance like?

2a) compared to 2D?

2b) compared to FSX?

3) are there any new 3D bugs w/P3D?

Thanks in advance!

2 weeks later and no responses.

K.  Guess I'll have to be the pioneer on this one...

1) yes, its fixed.

The bad news is that they canceled true full screen mode. So except for the very experimental oculus plugin no 3d so far.

1) yes, its fixed.

The bad news is that they canceled true full screen mode. So except for the very experimental oculus plugin no 3d so far.

Good point.  Ok, guess I'll just wait for a reasonably-priced 4K screen to replace my existing 27" 1440P IPS screen.  

I use tri def 3d and have been happy with it. I use the expieremental fsx tri def profile that is in their forums. 3d runs at 24fps which is apparently an issue with HDMI cables and cannot go any faster ( so I have read). 

tri def has two modes, and testing both modes does make a big difference. The tri def enhanced mode, runs the simulation faster, but everything on screen is in 3d, so panels, window support columns and the link are in deep 3D and it looks really wierd. I use the standard tri def mode only now. Also you will want to adjust your 3d depth settings in tri def for what you personally prefer.

Some notes I also made at the time.

use the AMD display settings for HD3D 1.4A
be SURE  inside tridef options screen (while game is running) that the "3dTexture Copy" is turned OFF
otherwise it causes black sky and clouds with thousands of vertical stretching lines in them. I think this was listed under Performance.

I use an LG 3d tv. You may also like the built in 2d-3d conversion that LG has.
It will turn any 2d video source into 3d. It works really well and is no performance hit on the PC. it is all done internally inside the TV itself. To my knowledge only LG has this feature.
good luck.
-Stampee

Hi there!

I use nvidia 3d vision 2 for about 16 months now. The immersion is great. So great that I stopped using p3d since the launch of v2 as it didn't support nvidia's plug-and-play-3d anymore. So for the time being I am back in FSX. I am very thankful for LM keeping the support for Oculus Rift. As soon as this hardware is officially up and running I'll be back in p3d. I very much like the idea of having a sim-to-go (e.g. dual gpu laptop) with the largest possible screen at the same time.

Greetings,

Claus

use tri def 3d and have been happy with it.

Apologize for going a little off topic but just wanted to pass on a friendly reminder that we have changed our signature policy again and we are kindly asking everyone to please put their system specs and flight sim information in their respective "My Profile". More details can be found at the following link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436632-new-signature-rules or under the Forums tab above. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I was hoping to continue using my 3D Vision 2 glasses once I have installed Prepar3d 2.4 for the first time. Could anyone update me as to whether, or not Nividia 3D is now supported in full screen mode as it is in FSX? Thanks in advance for any info. 

Keith Sandford.

I was hoping to continue using my 3D Vision 2 glasses once I have installed Prepar3d 2.4 for the first time. Could anyone update me as to whether, or not Nividia 3D is now supported in full screen mode as it is in FSX? Thanks in advance for any info.

No exclusive full screen mode in P3D = No 3D Vision

A poster above said it worked using Tridef, but I could only get it work with Tridef in SBS mode, which half resolution, hence pretty bad.

Thanks but I do not understand why you require full screen mode to enable stereoscopic viewing. Is Prepar3d constantly in windowed mode then?

Keith Sandford.

Thanks but I do not understand why you require full screen mode to enable stereoscopic viewing. Is Prepar3d constantly in windowed mode then?

It goes full screen with alt-enter but it's not "exclusive" full screen. You will notice that if you press the windows key while in ful screen, it seamlessly show the windows start menu. On the hand in FSX full screen, which is exclusive, win key will lead to a flicker and resolution change.

3d vision requires exclusive full screen, for whatever reason, Nvdia only knows. So either LM brings back exclusive full screen or NVdia makes 3D vision work with non-exclusive. We users are hung in between.

It goes full screen with alt-enter but it's not "exclusive" full screen. You will notice that if you press the windows key while in ful screen, it seamlessly show the windows start menu. On the hand in FSX full screen, which is exclusive, win key will lead to a flicker and resolution change.

3d vision requires exclusive full screen, for whatever reason, Nvdia only knows. So either LM brings back exclusive full screen or NVdia makes 3D vision work with non-exclusive. We users are hung in between.

Thank you very much for the detailed info! ^_^ 

Are there any news about "Oculus VR" integration for p3dv2.x users? B) 

Thank you very much for the detailed info! ^_^

Are there any news about "Oculus VR" integration for p3dv2.x users? B)

P3D 2.x already officially supports Oculus. Just google for some feedback.

P3D 2.x already officially supports Oculus. Just google for some feedback.

Ah, thanks again for the info. ^_^

That all seems to be still in the phase of "Oculus Rift DK2" plus "Prepar3D Development Kit (PDK)"...

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/utilities/pdk/oculus_rift_plug-in_and_sample.html

The sentence on this LM page (quote) "It is our hope that our intrepid development community will continue to improve upon it, adding features over time." (unquote) says it all... :blink:

I was wondering about a more customer-ready release in terms of "consumable hardware", e.g. ...

http://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/

I read somwhere sale should start from December this year in the U.S.

(In the end for me it is all about a replacement of a 3D-screen or a 3D-projector. If Samsung (a company with a huge reputation in terms of picture quality on flat screens) uses/integrates their "Smart View" technique for sending any HDMI content (including 3D from a p3d PC) to their "Samsung Gear VR", then I am quite sure that it will work at an acceptable/convincing level.)

But that might still take some time. B)

(BTW: in the meantime I even started thinking about a (heavily) bended 3D screen (probably from Samsung), but this would be keeping me locked in FSX and it is some kind of backward oriented considering the possibilities of 360°-XYZ VR headsets..)

Ah, thanks again for the info. ^_^

That all seems to be still in the phase of "Oculus Rift DK2" plus "Prepar3D Development Kit (PDK)"...

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/utilities/pdk/oculus_rift_plug-in_and_sample.html

The sentence on this LM page (quote) "It is our hope that our intrepid development community will continue to improve upon it, adding features over time." (unquote) says it all... :blink:

I was wondering about a more customer-ready release in terms of "consumable hardware", e.g. ...

http://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/

I read somwhere sale should start from December this year in the U.S.

(In the end for me it is all about a replacement of a 3D-screen or a 3D-projector. If Samsung (a company with a huge reputation in terms of picture quality on flat screens) uses/integrates their "Smart View" technique for sending any HDMI content (including 3D from a p3d PC) to their "Samsung Gear VR", then I am quite sure that it will work at an acceptable/convincing level.)

But that might still take some time. B)

(BTW: in the meantime I even started thinking about a (heavily) bended 3D screen (probably from Samsung), but this would be keeping me locked in FSX and it is some kind of backward oriented considering the possibilities of 360°-XYZ VR headsets..)

Well, I am not so sure whether this work out well either for movies or games. The comfort level for 2-3 hr viewing will be an issue. Also for games, you really need VR input like gloves to get going with this, as you really can't see the keyboard/joystick once this is on your eyes. I don't this VR kind of input will work for flying in VC at least.

It surely not replacing my 100" screen.