Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

stereoscopic 3D in P3D (questions)

Well, I am not so sure whether this work out well either for movies or games. The comfort level for 2-3 hr viewing will be an issue. Also for games, you really need VR input like gloves to get going with this, as you really can't see the keyboard/joystick once this is on your eyes. I don't this VR kind of input will work for flying in VC at least.

Yeah! HIDs (Human Interface Devices) input/interaction will be a real challenge!

I saw some demos of "webcams" mounted inside the VR headset filming the hands of the actor. The hands were keyed live into the 3D picture and interacted with the scene...  B)

In May this year I had the chance to test an Oculus Rift DK (used for a warehouse truck simulation). The immersion/isolation is so immense that I had some kind of "real problems" inside the virtual world: the total lack af acceleration/deceleration. :wacko:

This effect/feeling I had the last time back in the 90s when I spent some hours in a B737 level D simulator:  after a very "busy landing" the A/C stood at the end of a short runway. The simulator operator decided to put us back to the beginning of the runway. He did that by fastly rolling his trackball device using harsh X/Y-axis inputs. This way the plane was slewed over the nightly airfield at high speeds. The total lack of the corresponding accelerations (via the DOF platform) was very weird in the first seconds. After that it was some kind of "extremely pleasant" to notice that the DOF platform did not follow blindly the simulator operator's inputs... :blink:

It surely not replacing my 100" screen.

WOW! That is already 360°-XYZ :lol:

I'm truly at a loss that there is nil support for either DK2 or Stereoscopic viewing in Prepar3d. At least we have DCOC for the interim. I'm going to wait until I migrate over to Prepar3d now as 2D kills it for me.

Keith Sandford.

WOW! That is already 360°-XYZ

No, no, it's 2.35:1 curved screen, the curve is similar to the TVs being sold today.

With the VR stuff, the weirdness you mentioned, that's the challenge. Unless majority of your senses are being simulated, it will feel weird. So visual motion without g forces feels weird.

Not if you drink half a bottle of Scotch before hand.

Why half? Have full and no need of any VR stuff :lol:

Why half? Have full and no need of any VR stuff :lol:

Gents! Don't drink and fly! :ph34r:  Unless it is coffee, tomato juice or something else that even supports your health... B)

That reminds me of a print error in a german (?) aviation textbook. IIRC it was even a law textbook, which said at one point something like: "A pilot must not drink alcohol until 12 steps before  the commencement of a flight". (It surely meant 12 hours..) :blink: 

O.K. That was the funny part of it...

Just seen this new comment over at the Nvidia's 3D Vision forum. I assume its false?

I just tested out build v2.4.11570.0 and the 3D vision looks fantastic right out of the box. And Tridef 3D looks just as good. :))

Keith Sandford.

Just seen this new comment over at the Nvidia's 3D Vision forum. I assume its false?

I just tested out build v2.4.11570.0 and the 3D vision looks fantastic right out of the box. And Tridef 3D looks just as good. :))

Hoping its true. Can you try it out? My 3D vision trial has expired. 

I do not yet have prepar3d for the simple reason there is no 3D support. Once / if ever it is I will be jumping from FSX. Hopefully someone here can test for us though?? 

Keith Sandford.

I do not yet have prepar3d for the simple reason there is no 3D support. Once / if ever it is I will be jumping from FSX. Hopefully someone here can test for us though??

Hi there!

I have just tested P3D build v2.4.11570.0 with "Nvidia 3D Vision2".

My ASUS VG278 monitor still(!) indicates the "3D" symbol on its sync-emitter, while the picture shown is not "left eye/right eye"; it is just a monoscopic (normal) view.

I have compared the "Stereo" settings of FSX and P3D inside the Nvidia inspector. They are identical (and both default) with one big difference in the result: in FSX it works out of the box while there is (still) no functionality for P3D (for me).

Probably there is some additional "master tweak" needed... :unsure:

After all I am sure that P3D will deliver a "3D Vision" solution, regardless of which company the hardware must be obtained from. Also thinkable is a strategy by LM/P3D to preserve a proprietary solution... :ph34r: 

For me it is still: no 3D, no P3D, because the flat 2D presentation is meanwhile backward oriented for my sense of simulation immersion.

I finally got a 3d monitor, though I don't intend to use it for FS.  Instead, I'm using a big screen (39") 4k tv  B)

Instead, I'm using a big screen (39") 4k tv

Yeah, I was on the edge of thinking about a curved flat screen (perhaps 21:9) to give at least a panoramic view... :unsure:

But this is not "3D" and solutions like e.g. Oculus Rift will be real game changers, because they wil put us INTO the game instead of being in front of it... B)

Regarding the compatibility of P3D with Nvidia 3D: the "anaglyph" mode (red+blue filter) works in windowed and full screen mode. I read it in another thread (LM P3D?) and checked it myself via "Elgato" recorder. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmwW1OTVzc

But for me the "anaglyph" mode is not really enjoyable. It is more like a 3D-demo which works best on B&W pictures...

Yeah, I was on the edge of thinking about a curved flat screen (perhaps 21:9) to give at least a panoramic view... :unsure:

But this is not "3D" and solutions like e.g. Oculus Rift will be real game changers, because they wil put us INTO the game instead of being in front of it... B)

Regarding the compatibility of P3D with Nvidia 3D: the "anaglyph" mode (red+blue filter) works in windowed and full screen mode. I read it in another thread (LM P3D?) and checked it myself via "Elgato" recorder. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmwW1OTVzc

But for me the "anaglyph" mode is not really enjoyable. It is more like a 3D-demo which works best on B&W pictures...

What is the out of the box FSX Stereo 3D you speak of?

Only thing that renders with Nvidia S3D software in FSX are the aircraft  and cockpits, the outside environment doesn't render in 3d and never has

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

What is the out of the box FSX Stereo 3D you speak of?

Only thing that renders with Nvidia S3D software in FSX are the aircraft and cockpits, the outside environment doesn't render in 3d and never has

IMO/my experience everything renders in 3D (gets separate eye channels) in FSX out of the box EXCEPT:

1) lights (especially the RWY/TWY lights are quite a nuisance)

2) fog/haze (but clouds are full 3D!)

3) sun/moon (but you "feel" the discrepancy more than you can see it. They seem to be just infinite far objects "on layer 1". But it comes perhaps close to reality and is no nuisance at all...)

So "out-of-the-box-3D" in FSX is - with the above mentioned exceptions - quite enjoyable and flying without it is for me like a step back to the 2D panels. B)