Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

stereoscopic 3D in P3D (questions)

I'm a dedicated P3D user (v2.5 at present) and stopped flying FSX long ago. However I miss nVidia 3D Vision, which I used in FSX all the time. I'm looking forward to Oculus Rift, but I'm impatient and there are no noises coming from either LM or nVidia regarding a fix for nVidia 3D Vision....

I now have a Samsung S6 phone, with a 1440 x 2560 resolution screen. This could be used with the new Gear VR headset, but to the best of my knowledge it only works with apps on the phone, not streamed from a PC.

Instead I've bought a 3rd party VR headset designed for a range of different smart phones:

http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Universal-Virtual-Reality-Smartphone/dp/B00PC0YB1C

I'm am currently attempting to use Trinus VR for both tracking (3 DOF only, but I've thought using my TrackIR for the remaining 3 DOF might be a good solution?!) and for sending the PC rendered image to the phone screen:

http://trinusvr.com/

Others have so far managed to do this OK, but only using Fake 3D.

https://youtu.be/z7ZT2WixoSM

An earlier post mentioned nVidia permitted SBS 3D with Prepar3D. Is this confirmed??? If so, I might be able to transmit the true 3D as SBS to my phone and thus have a working VR headset with the resolution close to that of the forthcoming consumer version of OC (apparently). I would give this a go now, but I'm away from my PC a while.

Andy 

i7-8086k OC @ 5GHz, 64Gb RAM,
GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

I use tri def 3d and have been happy with it. I use the expieremental fsx tri def profile that is in their forums. 3d runs at 24fps which is apparently an issue with HDMI cables and cannot go any faster ( so I have read). 

tri def has two modes, and testing both modes does make a big difference. The tri def enhanced mode, runs the simulation faster, but everything on screen is in 3d, so panels, window support columns and the link are in deep 3D and it looks really wierd. I use the standard tri def mode only now. Also you will want to adjust your 3d depth settings in tri def for what you personally prefer.

Some notes I also made at the time.

use the AMD display settings for HD3D 1.4A
be SURE  inside tridef options screen (while game is running) that the "3dTexture Copy" is turned OFF
otherwise it causes black sky and clouds with thousands of vertical stretching lines in them. I think this was listed under Performance.

I use an LG 3d tv. You may also like the built in 2d-3d conversion that LG has.
It will turn any 2d video source into 3d. It works really well and is no performance hit on the PC. it is all done internally inside the TV itself. To my knowledge only LG has this feature.
good luck.
-Stampee

can you please post a link to these tridef 3d drivers for p3d, this is what i have been searching and stopping me from moving on to p3d as i cannot do without 3d on my projector screen, an amazing experience.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Further to my last post, a chap by the name of Richard Barry is developing a tool called P3DNative3D. It allows SBS 3D. This means SBS can be transmitted to a phone, such as the Samsung S6, and viewed in 3D using a 3rd party headset. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do I'll post my results here. In the meantime here is Richard's tool:

https://youtu.be/QUUlSeFaJl8

Here is a current version of P3D Native 3D. More stable than the initial one I released, but probably still has some flaws to be ironed out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc13evomokn8hxz/P3DNative3D%20Release%201.2%20Beta.zip?dl=0

For SBS 3D for a phone, you don't want sideways compression, unlike the SBS for a 3D TV/Projector.

In this case, select 3D SBS on the 3D Setup page, then bottom left hand corner of the Utilities page, tick VR Headsets, No 3D Compression.

If you add an empty txt file called Nocompression.txt to the application directory, then this No Compression option will stay ticked. I'm not auto saving it to avoid other users activating it by mistake and not realising why compression is not working.

As I'm still working on the program, feedback is welcome. Some things I can't change unless Lockheed Martin make some mods to some Simconnect functions. I have asked, but aren't holding my breath for action.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm extremely grateful for your excellent P3D Native 3D. I'm currently using v2 with P3D V3.1, a Samsung Galaxy S6, Homido headset and Trinus VR to send the images on the monitor to my phone via USB tether.

I was wondering if I could ask for your help please? I can't get head tracking to work and I'm not sure why. I'm not even sure which part or parts are the issue! You may have a completely different setup tho, so I understand if you can't help, but if you do have something similar any advice would be very welcome...

I have TrackIR set as my method of head tracking in Trinus VR. I have TrackIR installed on my PC (works fine with my actual TrackIR hardware) and on by default. I have head tracking off in P3Dnative3D until I have by SBS 3D setup and running OK in P3D. Only then do I switch the head tracking off... but no joy.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Andy

Hello Andy

Good to hear you're getting some use out of P3D Native 3D. Despite the time invested in writing it I get very little feedback.
It anyone's reading this who has an SBS or OverUnder 3D display, you can get 3D up and running with P3D Native 3D from Avsim library or Simviation.

Anyway onto the head tracking.
First, I assume you have head tracking working in normal 2D P3D without my 3D program running. It sounds in your email like you do.

The main thing to understand with getting it working with the 3D application is the event sequence in the automated set up of the 3D.

1. Set the (main) left eye view to the view you want.
2. Open the right eye view.
3. Adjust the right view relative to the left to get the 3D perspective.
4. Link the views so that they move in unison.

The critical thing is that nothing moves either view until step 4 is complete, so
Step 0 = Pause Head Tracking
Step 5 = Resume Head Tracking

TrackIR, FaceTrackNoIR, OpenTrack all have the ability to define HotKeys for Pause/Resume, Centre etc. You obviously want the Hotkey to be some combination that is not defined within your P3D controls, and should perhaps check this by setting a P3D action to that Hotkey, and it will tell you if you are already using that combination and where. Clear the keys from the action if it does set them so that you can use it for controlling your Head Tracking instead.
Set up the Pause/Resume Hotkey in your profiles in TrackIR.
Set up the same Hotkey in the Head Tracking section of P3D Native 3D.
The grey button to the right of "Tracker Pause Hotkey" in P3D Native 3D will hopefully toggle Pause/Resume in TrackIR.
This appears to be working for me in TrackIR, although I cannot test it fully as I only have the software.
Despite trying all sorts of methods, I cannot make it function with OpenTrack/FaceTrackNoIR.

If the Tracker Pause Hotkey button toggles your head tracking program, that's great, as if you then turn Head Tracking On in P3D Native 3D using the option buttons on the program window or the Add On menu item in P3D, then when you set up/change a 3D view, it should automatically pause the head tracking, carry out the view change and resume the tracking.
If the Hotkey in P3D Native 3D is not managing to pause/resume your head tracking, leave the Head Tracking option off, and manually press your Pause hotkey combination before setting up/changing a 3D view, then unpause tracking with your hotkeys.

I did uncover a head tracking bug whilst having another go at getting OpenTrack running, so an updated exe is available at   https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8uu12etsvgp8di/P3DNative3D.zip?dl=0

One annoyance to be aware of is that for the head tracking data to get through to P3D, it appears the left eye view must be selected. It should be that Step 4 above, it stops on left view, but if you are having issues, try clicking on the left view. Unfortunately there are currently no programmatic means I can find of selecting a particular view other than forcing a mouse click on it.

Your problem above may simply be that you need to click on the left view. Hopefully the exe update and the Hotkeys may iron that out a bit.

The other tip I have is to lock the VR headsets tick box on, make a new txt file in the same directory as the exe file, and call it nocompression.txt

Let me know how the Head Tracking works out.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm surprised you get little feedback, it is an excellent utility!  :good:

Many thanks for v2.1.

I have indeed got TrackIR working fine with normal 2D on my monitor. I have F9 set as the pause for TrackIR and also P3D Native 3D now. I'll give it all a go later...

Andy

I started messed with P3D in 3D last night with Google cardboard.  The results were decent so far but I definitely need to do some tweaking.  I used a program called TrinusVR while using my Nexus 6P via WiFi.  It was a little choppy but Im going to try again tonight with USB tethering which should clear up some delay.  Gonna try this out as well and see what works best.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Using USB tethering is the way to go IMO. It allows you to use much better image quality whilst reducing latency.

Andy

I tried to fire up the executable but I am getting an unhandled exception error.  Below is the message.  Im running Win10 and P3D v3.1.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at P3DNative3D.frmMain.LoadEyepointViews()
   at P3DNative3D.frmMain.ReadHandles()
   at P3DNative3D.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.127.1 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
----------------------------------------
P3DNative3D
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2
System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2
System.Core
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.6.93.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE
System.Runtime.Remoting
System.Configuration
System.Xml
LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect
    Assembly Version: 2.3.0.0
    Win32 Version: 
Accessibility

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

In regards to pegruder's problems with the exe, I'm guessing you just downloaded the dropbox exe file.

The program also needs some cfg files etc, so you need to search Avsim Library or Simviation for P3D Native 3D and download the complete v2 package. The install info is in the manual.

You can replace the v2 exe with the v2.1 you got from dropbox if you use head tracking.

Regards

Richard

In regards to pegruder's problems with the exe, I'm guessing you just downloaded the dropbox exe file.

The program also needs some cfg files etc, so you need to search Avsim Library or Simviation for P3D Native 3D and download the complete v2 package. The install info is in the manual.

You can replace the v2 exe with the v2.1 you got from dropbox if you use head tracking.

Regards

Richard

I do have configuration files but it seems from version 1.1 possibly.  Ill try and locate the v2 files and see if that helps.

Edit:  That did the trick - thanks!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

So far so good - except when head tracking the right panel seems to keep jumping and flickering.  Anyone have any ideas why that might be happening?

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

I've got a few things to try out that may smooth it out a bit. It seems to be a bit of lag sometimes in synching the right eye for the continual movements with head tracking, something that isn't really noticeable unless using head tracking. The left eye XZ position in the cockpit is locked, but as you turn your head, I have to keep calculating and moving the right eye to a new XZ. To be honest, I didn't spend so much time checking the head tracking as I don't use it so often.

I'm trying to finish off another application, so not too sure which one will get done first. Will let you know when something new ready to try on the 3D head tracking.

Cheers

Richard

I've got a few things to try out that may smooth it out a bit. It seems to be a bit of lag sometimes in synching the right eye for the continual movements with head tracking, something that isn't really noticeable unless using head tracking. The left eye XZ position in the cockpit is locked, but as you turn your head, I have to keep calculating and moving the right eye to a new XZ. To be honest, I didn't spend so much time checking the head tracking as I don't use it so often.

I'm trying to finish off another application, so not too sure which one will get done first. Will let you know when something new ready to try on the 3D head tracking.

Cheers

Richard

Sounds good.  I may turn it off for now and just use the regular hat switch to pan around.  Certainly isnt a big deal compared to what this looks like in 3d.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS