Sign in to follow this  
Calypso50

Auto-Pilot Questions

>1-Generally for the Cessna aircraft things work well, with the>occasional zoom up on take-off with the 172 and the occasional>wandering back and forth across the runway like a drunk duck>with several aircraft..(not attributable to

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John,Thank for your detailed responses.In case you have nothing else to do but read more

If you mean when taking off, at maybe 300'-400'. On approach- I hand fly until I have the ILS lined up, then engage the AP.Bill

Guest Jetfan

Bill,Another consideration, the last time my computer did weird things like this, and they happened mostly in Flight Simulator, I had a Trojan Horse virus aboard. May want to run a complete system scan.Best of luck,Bob

bob,No viruses..I run Norton anti-virus scans every week, get all the up-dates. Keep Ad-ware updated and scan every week and use a firewall..Will also probably switch over to Firefox. Maybe even Thunderbird.But, just flew for a couple hours and no major problems...who knows why.. much more enjoyable...approaches as smooth as squid sashimi..BillPangaia Steel Band4 leads, 2 double tenors, 2 double seconds, 2 cellos, 2 bases, 1 drums, 1 conga, 1 percussion

>The Felts Field 21>ILS in the real world comes in at an angle of about 5 degrees>to the right and is designed to keep you from plowing into the>hills to the north. FS2004 to my knowledge just shot every ILS>straight out the runway centerline though, I had to correct>the Felts AFCAD using AirNav data.Since all of the nav aids in FS are derived from the 1992 Jeppesen database, there are in fact offset localizers where they were in the Real World back when the data was current.I've encountered many offset localizers while flying around the FS world... ;)Bill

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,I've just spent a couple hours flying around, flying the same approaches as before and now they work much better, some perfectly..so there is something weird..Bob suggested, somewhere above or below, maybe a virus..nope.. I've got weekly Norton scans and updates, Weekly Ad-Aware scans and updates and a good firewall. anyway ... no poisonous(?) creatures sneaking around in there right now. And this week I'll switch to Firefox.Why doesn't MS update their Jeppesen databases?.. retorical questionThanks again, Bill

Bill:A couple of things jump out at me right off. First of all regarding an aircraft's inability to turn once you engage the autopilot, my guess is that the ones that will turn have the following text in their aircraft.cfg files, and the one's that won't, don't!{autopilot}autopilot_available=1flight_director_available=1default_vertical_speed=1800.000000autothrottle_available=1autothrottle_arming_required=0autothrottle_takeoff_ga=0autothrottle_max_rpm=90.000000pitch_takeoff_ga=8.000000Use_No_Default_Pitch=1 <-------needs to be here in FS 2004Use_No_Default_Bank=1 <--------needs to be here in FS 2004default_pitch_mode=0If you do not see that text entry in the aircraft.cfg, add it. Use NOTEPAD and open the file, make the changes / additions, hit SAVE, close and reload the aircraft. It's a bug with the wing leveller function that somehow gets coded to stay on when you engage the AP, and will not click off when you deselect it on the MCP (Master Control Panel on the glareshield). I always check EVERY third party aircraft I download to make sure these text entries are present. You'll be amazed how many times it's missing!The other point is to make sure you're setting your altimeter for local conditions, especially if you're using real weather. Failing to do so may result in a discrepency between whats's indicated, or at least how high you THINK you are, and how high you really are, which may account for any unusual indications you're seeing on the glideslope during an otherwise stable approach. Lastly, much has been written in these forums about the proper way to intercept the glideslope, so I won't go there. Suffice it to say good planning and staying ahead of the aircraft in terms of proper (not too fast!) approach speed and aircraft configuration / trim is essential. Always intercept from below. On an ILS, I drop my gear at the outer marker, a convenient reminder warning! except in heavy snow or unstable (windshear) conditions. Hope Some of This helps,http://www.bwiairport.com/images/menu_BWIlogo.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Thanks Alex, I did some preliminary checking last nite.I'm familiar with intercepting a LOC and GS.The 'altimeter tip' keeps coming on( occasionally like every 30 seconds,or sometimes when changing screens..then it will be ok for long periods...that's another weird issue though) It does come on during a long flight as conditions change and I hit the old B key to reset.I'll have a margaritta, dinner, then...I'll check each plane (I only have the default planes now) Only the Boengs have autothrottle, of course.You say to reload the aircraft after adding the code. How do I 'reload' the default aircraft? Just restart FS?Bill

Alex,Ok...chapter 2.1- Baron, 737, 747, 777 did not have the code you suggested--Use_No_Default_Pitch=1 Use_No_Default_Bank=1default_pitch_mode=0And as you suggested, those planes would not turn with AP engaged. But wait, wait..In the past, they sometimes would turn, sometimes not, remember.2- I added the code to the Baron and 737--saved and restarted FS..Great, they turned. But...so did the 777 and 747 WITHOUT adding the code! I just reset the same flight with each plane.I restarted FS again to see what would happen. All planes turn w/wo the new code. (I also added-- default_bank_mode_0 --as it was in the other planes.========================Also for what it's worth.The 737, 747 and 777 code have --autothrottle_arming_required=1autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1instead of '0' as you suggested. ??Bill

Guest deKoven

>Alex,snippage>And as you suggested, those planes would not turn with AP>engaged. But wait, wait..In the past, they sometimes would>turn, sometimes not, remember.snippage>>instead of '0' as you suggested. ??>>Bill>You are aware, are you not, that when you engage "Hdg" on the autopilot and then remove it (it only takes a split sec or so) the plane will turn normally? I used to modify all my planes but now I just hit heading and then turn it off; works for me.:D

I didn't know about the HDG trick. I now have the extra code in all the conventional gear default planes. But when I get add-ons, if the same problem occurs I;ll try your suggestion first.Thanks,Bill

Hey Bill,How well does FS runs on your system, do you ever get any stutters? And does the 2 GB or RAM make a lot of difference as opposed to 1? Infact, here are my system specs.P4 2.8 800 mhz FSB1 GIG DDR Ram (forgot what kind, I'm on leave right now)ATI X800 PRO 256 megs160 GIB IDE HDHow much of a difference does the serial drive make and what about the video card.To the moderators of this forum: I have no way of posting this question as a reply to Bill in the hardware forum, what action should I take?Jeff USAF

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD