Sign in to follow this  
NWATech

A-320 vs B737NG: Engines?

How does the thrust and size/model of the engines used for the A-320 and B73NG compare? Those on the Airbus a/c seem to be larger, and maybe this is just the fact that the wing is higher and the engine can be hung lower. Both a/c are similar (sizewise) otherwise, I think.Thanks,Bruce.

I can only relate to the Airbus CFM motor.The base CFM 56-2 C1 is the standard engine core. Each operator builds theirengine, per say, to suit the carriers needs now and in the future.The A320 with CFM56-5-A1 is certified at 25,000lb T/O thrust. Component upgrades have improved fuel consumption by 17% at cruise.Thrust can grow beyond that in future upgrades. FADEC allows custom programed thrust ratings for perf. and fuel consumption.Hope this helps some.Jay

Hi Jay,Thanks for your reply. I'm sure that the NG also has the CFM-56 series fitted. It may be just that the engine looks bigger on the Airbus, not sure why though.Thanks again,Bruce.

Actually all the B737's except for the -200, which is JT8D powered, have the CFM56 on the wing.The Airbus just sits higher off the ground than the 737, so the design of the pylon and cowling on it.Jay