Sign in to follow this  
falcon7xx

Looking for help on a PC build for P3D

I am looking to do a new PC build for P3D. I was anticipating on buying all the parts in the next 3-4 weeks. My budget is anywhere from $1500-$2000. Any recommendations on the hardware I should get.

Just as a side note I have never OCed a CPU or GPU before.

Start with an i7-4790 and fast 2X4GB memory on a quality Z97 motherboard (like Asus Z97-Pro).

Then it is up to you how you want to finish it off..  a GTX770 or 780 would be a good match.

No need to overclock the GPU, and with that CPU you may not have to overclock it either to get excellent performance.

Bert

Start with an i7-4790 and fast 2X4GB memory on a quality Z97 motherboard (like Asus Z97-Pro).

Then it is up to you how you want to finish it off..  a GTX770 or 780 would be a good match.

No need to overclock the GPU, and with that CPU you may not have to overclock it either to get excellent performance.

Yup Bert is on the right track and I would buy a gtx780 6gig card and when P3D supports sli you can buy another - titan would be nice but two of them would be very very expensive - ah that means I am in for another expensive titan purchase

As for motherboard - any of these would work very nicely - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=2&p=2&v=31

Here is a killer board and the price is amazing and reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128706

get a corsair h-100 water cooler - they are awesome

And get a nice full tower case to hold that water cooler - installed in the top of case - also full case stays cooler

One more thing if you can get the corsair vengeance platinums best ram ever - this is one thing you really need to consider 

Rich Sennett

Yup Bert is on the right track and I would buy a gtx780 6gig card and when P3D supports sli you can buy another - titan would be nice but two of them would be very very expensive - ah that means I am in for another expensive titan purchase

As Richard said , get the 780 6gb (im actually gonna buy it in a week) but the most important thing is to get a 800w or greater PSU . the reason is that i bought a 700w PSU 2 years ago and now i must upgrade it to a better psu because it cant handle the 4.4ghz i5 3570k coupled with a gtx 780 efficiently  . 

Just my 2 cents

Richard, regarding the graphics cards, try like me to buy them second handed.

For 600 ( feb ) + 535 ( april ) I was lucky to have the chance to buy the same Gigabyte Titan. So now I have 2 .

They have Gpu Boost 2 and go up to 992mhz in detailed scenery.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

As Richard said , get the 780 6gb (im actually gonna buy it in a week) but the most important thing is to get a 800w or greater PSU . the reason is that i bought a 700w PSU 2 years ago and now i must upgrade it to a better psu because it cant handle the 4.4ghz i5 3570k coupled with a gtx 780 efficiently  . 

Just my 2 cents

Thats why I run an evga supernova 1100 watt - replaced my corsair 1200 watt thought it was faulty but it was just an unstable overclock - also I have one for sale  :)

Richard, regarding the graphics cards, try like me to buy them second handed.

For 600 ( feb ) + 535 ( april ) I was lucky to have the chance to buy the same Gigabyte Titan. So now I have 2 .

They have Gpu Boost 2 and go up to 992mhz in detailed scenery.

Gerard good to know - where did you buy it

"They have Gpu Boost 2 and go up to 992mhz in detailed scenery. "

What do you mean ? are you running sli and have better results buddy ? fill me in please

Rich Sennett

Thats why I run an evga supernova 1100 watt - replaced my corsair 1200 watt thought it was faulty but it was just an unstable overclock - also I have one for sale  :)

hey rich as you saw in my post im looking for a psu . can you let me know what psu you'r selling ?
btw if you remember i promised you a couple weeks ago that once i buy a new gpu i will join the P3D boat . im only days away of that cant wait  :P

hey rich as you saw in my post im looking for a psu . can you let me know what psu you'r selling ?

btw if you remember i promised you a couple weeks ago that once i buy a new gpu i will join the P3D boat . im only days away of that cant wait  :P

Hi I have a 1200 watt ax1200 pro series gold but Saudi Arabia - thinking that would be way to far to send it - you will luv P3D - give it a chance and you will luv it too  :smile: 

Rich Sennett

Hi I have a 1200 watt ax1200 pro series gold but Saudi Arabia - thinking that would be way to far to send it - you will luv P3D - give it a chance and you will luv it too  :smile: 

dont worry about the shipping . just pm me your email 

cheers 

dont worry about the shipping . just pm me your email 

cheers 

Done Faisal - thanks

Rich Sennett

Thats why I run an evga supernova 1100 watt - replaced my corsair 1200 watt thought it was faulty but it was just an unstable overclock - also I have one for sale :)

Gerard good to know - where did you buy it

"They have Gpu Boost 2 and go up to 992mhz in detailed scenery. "

What do you mean ? are you running sli and have better results buddy ? fill me in please

Richard, at the moment I am only using FSX. I played around with P3D , but went back to FSX because of all scenery I have which is incredible to look it from within my 737-NGX home cockpit.

FSX is capable of benefitting from SLI , but only in 2D cockpit view without instruments or spotplaneview.

Then in very detailed scenery I have 40% more fps than with a single graphics card.

Flying in non detailed scenery the framerate is the same : single card or sli.

P3D can benefit from SLI in AFR mode ( see L M forum ).

I will try this hack in FSX too tomorrow to see if FSX can benefit more.

If P3D 2.3 will have SLI support I doubt it, but perhaps 2.4 or 2.5 will have full SLI support.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Richard, at the moment I am only using FSX. I played around with P3D , but went back to FSX because of all scenery I have which is incredible to look it from within my 737-NGX home cockpit.

FSX is capable of benefitting from SLI , but only in 2D cockpit view without instruments or spotplaneview.

Then in very detailed scenery I have 40% more fps than with a single graphics card.

Flying in non detailed scenery the framerate is the same : single card or sli.

P3D can benefit from SLI in AFR mode ( see L M forum ).

I will try this hack in FSX too tomorrow to see if FSX can benefit more.

If P3D 2.3 will have SLI support I doubt it, but perhaps 2.4 or 2.5 will have full SLI support.

Thanks Gerard for the explanation very informative  :good: 

Rich Sennett

So far I have

i7-4790

Gigabyte Sniper Z97 motherboard

GTX 780 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003&cm_re=gtx_780_ti-_-14-487-003-_-Product

G.Skill Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589&cm_re=g_skill-_-20-231-589-_-Product

I was planning on getting a 1000 Watt PSU.

What kind of SSD drive should i get and should i get one for p3d and one for operating system or 1 for both.

I plan on using my optical drive from my current desktop.

So far I have

i7-4790

Gigabyte Sniper Z97 motherboard

GTX 780 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003&cm_re=gtx_780_ti-_-14-487-003-_-Product

G.Skill Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589&cm_re=g_skill-_-20-231-589-_-Product

I was planning on getting a 1000 Watt PSU.

What kind of SSD drive should i get and should i get one for p3d and one for operating system or 1 for both.

I plan on using my optical drive from my current desktop.

So did you buy the stuff all ready - the corsair platinums are amazing - anyway nice choices

1000 watt powers supply is a good idea - I would get a high end product and rating such as the evga supernova as it is very nice and not as expensive as the corsair ax1200 and I am not noticing any difference as I have both

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=evga%20supernova&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

As for hard drive if you can afford it I would go with at least a 512mb samsung ssd and load all of your sim stuff on it and the secondary would be nice to have an ssd but not needed so thats up to you - I have an ocz 512mb vertex4 its nice but I have a new samsung 512mb and when I need to do a clean install I am using that and my ocz as a secondary 

Rich Sennett

So did you buy the stuff all ready - the corsair platinums are amazing - anyway nice choices

1000 watt powers supply is a good idea - I would get a high end product and rating such as the evga supernova as it is very nice and not as expensive as the corsair ax1200 and I am not noticing any difference as I have both

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=evga%20supernova&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

As for hard drive if you can afford it I would go with at least a 512mb samsung ssd and load all of your sim stuff on it and the secondary would be nice to have an ssd but not needed so thats up to you - I have an ocz 512mb vertex4 its nice but I have a new samsung 512mb and when I need to do a clean install I am using that and my ocz as a secondary 

Are you saying to get the samsung 512GB ssd for my Sim stuff and get a secondary for the OS?