Sign in to follow this  
falcon7xx

Looking for help on a PC build for P3D

It depends on how much "stuff" you've got..

I like to have the OS separate, so I've got a 128 GB Samsung Pro for the OS, a 128 GB Samsung Evo (could be 256 GB) for FS, and a 1TB WD hard drive for data..

Bert

Are you saying to get the samsung 512GB ssd for my Sim stuff and get a secondary for the OS?

Falcon  you want to have the samsung ssd for your OS and your flightsim as my choice differs from Berts I like to have plenty of left over room on my c:drive for my simulator imo 512mb is the least amount of space I would want my flightsim on with all my addons - place all your other files on a secondary hard drive does not have to be an ssd as its only for storage

Rich Sennett

I am looking to do a new PC build for P3D. I was anticipating on buying all the parts in the next 3-4 weeks. My budget is anywhere from $1500-$2000. Any recommendations on the hardware I should get.

Just as a side note I have never OCed a CPU or GPU before.

You should get a I7-4790k you want the K model as only K models can be overclocked, I have the 4790k and am very happy with it.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

You should get a I7-4790k you want the K model as only K models can be overclocked, I have the 4790k and am very happy with it.

Good point as one does not know how savvy he is - get the K version

Rich Sennett

I can tell you right now I never overclocked before. Right now on my FSX computer, I have 5GB free on my OS disk out of 120GB. I have alot of add on's, but I am unsure of the amount of addons i can bring over to P3D.

Assuming your current OS drive is a harddrive, not an SSD..

If you only have 5 GB free on a 120 GB disk, you have a performance problem..

A harddrive should only be filled up to 70% max if you want good performance..

Maybe start by getting a 1 TB drive and clone it all over as an immediate step.

Bert

Assuming your current OS drive is a harddrive, not an SSD..

If you only have 5 GB free on a 120 GB disk, you have a performance problem..

A harddrive should only be filled up to 70% max if you want good performance..

Maybe start by getting a 1 TB drive and clone it all over as an immediate step.

I agree Bert and this is why I say He needs a larger hard drive for the OS and flightsimulator - make no sense to have a hard drive that small - if I could afford 1tb ssd I would opt for that

I can tell you right now I never overclocked before. Right now on my FSX computer, I have 5GB free on my OS disk out of 120GB. I have alot of add on's, but I am unsure of the amount of addons i can bring over to P3D.

5gb free is nuts lol - you need to get a larger hard drive asap

Rich Sennett

I can tell you right now I never overclocked before.

Definitely get the 4790K model - even without overclocking it is faster than the non-K model.

Bert

Richard, at the moment I am only using FSX. I played around with P3D , but went back to FSX because of all scenery I have which is incredible to look it from within my 737-NGX home cockpit.

Gerard, just been having a look at your profile.  Do you have any pictures of your setup, the home cockpit with 3 HDTVs sounds fantastic

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I have 2 SSD drives on my current computer a 250GB that my FSX is on and a 120GB that my OS/addon are on. So do I got with 2 250GB SSD drives on the new build or get like 1 500GB SSD drive?

I have 2 SSD drives on my current computer a 250GB that my FSX is on and a 120GB that my OS/addon are on. So do I got with 2 250GB SSD drives on the new build or get like 1 500GB SSD drive?

I would go with at least 1 512mb ssd and use others for storage - put OS and flightsim on the 512mb ssd drive - I have not loaded any payware airports yet and half of my drive is used all ready yes I have some stuff to move to free up some space but thats what I would do

Rich Sennett

Cockpit%201.jpg

Cockpit%203.jpg

Cockpit%204.jpg

Cockpit%205.jpg

Cockpit%206.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0