Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

PMDG UPS 777

She should be delivering packages for your virtual UPS soon!

777UPS4.jpg

I can tell you I spent more time finding the font and trying to find that goofy "g" they use in the word synchronizing than I did painting the rest of the plane!  For all you painters out there who want to use the accurate font for UPS, its called "Dax."  The letter g is something you'll have to modify off another font...the name of that one escapes me but its a common font you should already have.

I can't tell you how many UPS paints out there have the wrong font....I think even my 727 and A300 do too...but I painted them years ago! Hehe

777UPS6.jpg

I put a ton of detail into the Empennage (the fancy name for the tail, hehe)

777UPS5.jpg

Just a few more things to tie up and I'll be uploading her.  Not sure if I'll get her in before the forum shutdown later today, but I'll have her to you guys to fly on the 4th when most of the USA will be off work. :)

777UPS7.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

NICE! If only we had a nice payware of KDSF. I was at Churchill downs in January and sat in the parking lot for half an hour before moving on just to watch those UPS jets coming in.

Thanks guys!

In my quest for giving you guys the most accurate paint I can (some call it obsession, but lets not quibble about semantics, hehe), even the straight Dax font needed some work to get it as UPS decided to paint on their planes.

So, you can see in the pic below, 3 things.

1. A reference photo

2. the Dax Font

3. and the finished version.

UPSDAXFont.jpg

The "e" on the original font had the crossbar up at an angle. So I had to manipulate it to get it looking like the reference photo.

Was it hard to do? The word "hard" is a relative statement, let's just says its "involved" without turning this into a paint lesson, hehe.

As far as me going to that level of detail...well...let's just say if I can, I will.

For those who paint, I just used the Push brush to "push the pixels" into their correct position.  This is probably one of 10 ways to do it, but my love of the push brush is why I gave myself the name "Pixel Pusher" and probably use it obsessively  

You can even check out my first attempt at a YouTube video showing how to paint a photo tail.  at 8:04 I mention that I use the Push brush all the time when showing you how I use it to "push the pixels" on the tail to their final destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zsCmBiCnSE

You have to turn the volume waaay up...I am talking I just didnt have a mic or headset at the time i recorded it so I used the built in mic on my laptop.

WARNING: Remember to turn your sound down after the video, or your next Outlook notification ding will send you flying out of your seat! :LMAO:  (you've been duly warned)

Don't get me started about the crazy "g"...but let's just say it took a while to first ...find it....then manipulate it to how its supposed to look.  Oh.. and the font to start off with that has it the closest is "Calibri Light" ....but don't think you can just slap it on there and resize it....oh no!

Al in all...painting is just like flying when deciding what level of detail you want to take it to.  The guys with real home cockpits (we've all seen the videos and drooled) are on the "obsessive" side of simming...although there is not one person here who would not want to have one of those plopped down in their garage if it was free and a turn-key operation, lol!  When it comes to painting...If I have the means to get it right, I will...call it what you want. :Whistle:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Wow Steve that is an excellent tutorial.

Thanks Al.

I wish I was as good at doing YouTube videos as I was at painting, LoL...I think its really hard...whereas others who do it all the time and have all the neat video editing tools will say "Naw...its soo EASY"...its that whole "relative" thing...same concept with painting...or flying a 777!  People that come over and see how I fly the 777 say "isn't that hard?"  Well....the word hard is relative.  Hard for you and me who fly as a hobby and passion? No...hard for someone coming off the street and is asked to set up an NDB approach...well maybe a little. Hehe.

One of my mantra's in life....."Life is relative". Think about how many things you can apply that to and you'll see what I mean.  Is the number one trillion a big number?  Well that's relative.  When it comes to how much money I make...yep...its HUGE...when it comes to the National Debt....not so much!  :LMAO:  Or to the number of grains of sand on Daytona Beach.

Is an SR-71 fast?  again...heckuva alot faster than I can run (or the speed of a Citation, which is the butt of many jet speed jokes..not the X naturally but the straight-wing version)...but compared to the Space Shuttle in orbit....not so much.  

Would it take me very long to walk the distance to the sun? It's gonna take me a few years (more like a few hundred thousand)...but a light beam gets there in 8 minutes. (really...do the math)

So, the next time someone asks you a question concerning how hard, fast, long, loud, anything related to a measurement is...just remember...its relative. :wink:   Its always a good conversation maker.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Al, check you email in just a few moments, you are one of the check airman for this paint.  :wink:

nebojsa and rsperge, send me an email address that can handle a 15mb file and you can be a check airman too.

Richard, I would send you the file, but your're a P3d guy.  But if you want it let me know.

To others reading this, Steve's "Check Airman" program is something I just started, trying to thank all who take the time to comment on my paints.  It allows them to get the plane hours/days before anyone else sees it in the Avsim library.  The only requirements of the program is that you are one of the 1st 5 to comment on a paint I preview, click the link in my signature and zipdive one of my existing paints to get my email address, and send me a request that way. ( I would use the built in messaging system here, but my mailbox is full and there are emails i wish to save so I'm not deleting them.)

HINT: Open the readme.txt file when you zipdive into any of my repaints, Avsim requires that anyone uploading a file includes their email address in case you've never looked in a readme file on any of your downloads.

Another request of the painter who worked hard to bring the paint to you, is to post some screenshots of the interesting places you're flying this globe-trotting long range bird.  :smile2:

Anyway, in your email to me, give me your Avsim name if its not obvious in the email address, and I'll confirm you're one of the 1st five.  Once I do, and I've packaged the repaint using PMDGs installer, then I'll email it to you.  Very simple.  :biggrin: 

Only 2 more Check Airmen left on this airframe...you know the rules if you want to fly her now. :)  And with the shutdown looming soon, it will be at least Tuesday before you can fly this one.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I totally love the passion you have towards making the paint the best of anything. It's what drives better than ever innovations.

Al, check you email in just a few moments, you are one of the check airman for this paint.  :wink:

nebojsa and rsperge, send me an email address that can handle a 15mb file and you can be a check airman too.

Richard, I would send you the file, but your're a P3d guy.  But if you want it let me know.

To others reading this, Steve's "Check Airman" program is something I just started, trying to thank all who take the time to comment on my paints.  It allows them to get the plane hours/days before anyone else sees it in the Avsim library.  The only requirements of the program is that you are one of the 1st 5 to comment on a paint I preview, click the link in my signature and zipdive one of my existing paints to get my email address, and send me a request that way. ( I would use the built in messaging system here, but my mailbox is full and there are emails i wish to save so I'm not deleting them.)

HINT: Open the readme.txt file when you zipdive into any of my repaints, Avsim requires that anyone uploading a file includes their email address in case you've never looked in a readme file on any of your downloads.

Another request of the painter who worked hard to bring the paint to you, is to post some screenshots of the interesting places you're flying this globe-trotting long range bird.  :smile2:

Anyway, in your email to me, give me your Avsim name if its not obvious in the email address, and I'll confirm you're one of the 1st five.  Once I do, and I've packaged the repaint using PMDGs installer, then I'll email it to you.  Very simple.  :biggrin: 

Only 2 more Check Airmen left on this airframe...you know the rules if you want to fly her now. :)  And with the shutdown looming soon, it will be at least Tuesday before you can fly this one.

Steve I'll get to use it one day - thinking at least a year - but someday that UPS will be in my P3D - PMDG hanger   :yahoo:  

Rich Sennett

United

Parcel

Service

Unbelievable

Paint

Steve

Chris Sunseri