Sign in to follow this  
Gabe_62

Wierd Behaviour from Addons Menu and DLL.XML file

Hi All,

Not anything specific relating to PMDG but the PMDG guys appear to know their XML files and I have followed their advice about using Notepad++ to ensure it is saved in the correct format.

Problem is that whatever I install into the DLL.XML file, only the item on the top of the list and FSUIPC (always at the bottom), appears in the Addons menu in FSX (Win 7).

So, I only have 2 modules loaded into the Addons menu. Wierd Huh ?

Here is my XML file with two items plus FSUIPC installed -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Instant Scenery</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>C:\Flight One Software\Instant Scenery 2\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Airport Studio</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>C:\Flight One Software\Airport Studio\AirportStudioFSX.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
        <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

All the black and white boxes are present and correct, but only FSUIPC and Instant Scenery show up in the Addons menu.

Now, if I switch the two modules: Instant Scenery and Airport Studio,in the file, so IS is below AS, only the AS shows up in the Addons menu, together with FSUIPC.

This happens however many items are in it. Only FSUIPC plus the ONE module "at the top of the list", show up.

Hope someone has some ideas.

I have posted this in the general FSX forum and the PMDG forums.

Hello:

Have you considered taking up this issue in the "official" support forum for Instant Scenery and Airport Studio ?

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/scenery-and-mission-making-tools_forum31.html

Certainly some may learn how to successfully edit and save the MSFS DLL.XML and EXE.XML files via text editors such as Windows NotePad; however IMHO it is "safer" for most purposes to instead perform inspection and/or editing of those files via:

ModuleToolX 0.4 by Alexander Brand

moduletoolx_0.4.zip

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=moduletoolx_0.4.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Note that in addition to entries made in the above *,XML files, entries are also made in the [Trusted] section of the FSX.Cfg file.

Furthermore, entries are made in various locations of the Windows Registry, and Windows "User profile" folder chain.

So IMHO, it is important to utilize any installers / un-installers provided by a FS add-on product ...rather than attempting to install / un-install or configure such products via manual methods.

BTW: If necessary, to more completely remove prior installations of FS add-ons, Revo UnInstaller (either the freeware or payware version) does an additional in-depth search for residual program components and entries, and the "Pro" (payare) version can "log" all functions of most installers during installation:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Hope this info helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

Are you looking for PMDG entries?  Not sure why you would post this in the PMDG Forum.  PMDG only furnished a guide for troubleshooting the dll.xml.

Could you elaborate what your problem is?

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi thnx for the advice.

I was hoping PMDG could help me sort the file out, as they seem to be up on it.

It really is causing me a headache, so I'm asking anyone who may know the anser !

As you were already advised, ask Instant Scenery and Airport Studio.

It's not a general problem with dll.xml.

Yes it is a general problem. The plugins referred to above are merely examples. Hence the line "This happens however many items are in it. Only FSUIPC plus the ONE module "at the top of the list", show up."

But, I have gone to their forums as no-one here seems to have any ideas.

Yes it is a general problem. The plugins referred to above are merely examples. Hence the line "This happens however many items are in it. Only FSUIPC plus the ONE module "at the top of the list", show up."

But, I have gone to their forums as no-one here seems to have any ideas.

It is not a general problem. My dll.xml doesn't show that effect with all of my items listed, nor I am aware of others with that problem..

It is not a general problem. My dll.xml doesn't show that effect with all of my items listed, nor I am aware of others with that problem..

I agree Gerry! Wonder if he's installing things with UAC off and as the Administrator. If not, entries will most likely not be made in the hidden file dll.xml as the user does not have permission.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10