Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

CS 777 Autoland help

Hi Guys:

I cant get it to do an auto land - I hit loc I hit app nothing happens will not capture GS fly's on crs but just keeps going over the airport I cant figure out how to change the ils/crs in the fmc - can you give me a guide on how to auto land this - setting up rad/nav in fmc - not hearing any morse code from arr runway - any help would be appreciated spending many hours and nothing I am trying has worked - I have checked CS fourms - youtube - could not find anything on autolanding - just take off tutorials - thank you

​A quick guide would be awesome

Regards, Rich

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Rich,

Regarding RADNAV, have you selected an approach in the FMC? If you have, you need to reenter the data already in the "ILS" linekey to take it out of PARK mode. This will activate your ILS freq and should be the answer to your problems.

Hope it helps!

Jackson

Hey Rich,

Regarding RADNAV, have you selected an approach in the FMC? If you have, you need to reenter the data already in the "ILS" linekey to take it out of PARK mode. This will activate your ILS freq and should be the answer to your problems.

Hope it helps!

Jackson

Hi Jackson - thank you for helping - I need it - yes it is in parked mode - I imported a flt pln so the approach is set

"you need to reenter the data already in the "ILS" linekey to take it out of PARK mode"  -------- not sure what you mean do I add 109.3/046 for the arrival airport and place it into the parkmode line select ? and that it leave it alone what are the frequencies above in ls1 and rs1

At what altitude do you engage loc and app

I can find a switch to turn off the morse code - thanks 

Thank you

All you have to do to get out of PARK mode is hit the LSK that the ILS info is already in. I think it's LSK L3 or something close to that. The "reentry" of the data will activate it.

Those frequencies at L1 and R1 are I believe VOR frequencies.

Personally, I arm LOC when I'm a leg before final, then once the localizer is alive I arm APP for an autoland. Altitude-wise, I just find it on the approach plate.

All you have to do to get out of PARK mode is hit the LSK that the ILS info is already in. I think it's LSK L3 or something close to that. The "reentry" of the data will activate it.

Those frequencies at L1 and R1 are I believe VOR frequencies.

Personally, I arm LOC when I'm a leg before final, then once the localizer is alive I arm APP for an autoland. Altitude-wise, I just find it on the approach plate.

Well that worked - decent landing but no need to turn on loc - if you do the aircraft just heads of course so I shut it off and hit app and it did what it should do - so no loc here or it will mess things up - why is it I always figure these things out at the end of my weekend - thanks so much your the best Jackson

Not sure if turning on the loc is a bug or I am doing it to late ?

Oh would still luv to know where the switch is to shut off morse code beep if I want to

Rich,

Just to clarify.... you do not enter a Course or NAV frequency in the 777.  That's done automatically in the FMC when you enter the runway for landing.  It is extremely important you look in the LEGS page of the FMC and make sure there are no discontinuities or the flight doesn't have you going to the airport first and then back out to the glideslope (sometimes when I enter the landing runway for KCLT, the FMC will show KCLT in the flight plan first and then the runway glideslope and I have to move the waypoint for the glideslope up and remove KCLT and then reactivate).  If the FMC is configured properly, look in the PFD and look for the glidepath indicators.  If they are showing then you can capture the glideslope and then hit APP (or LOC).  The gear has to be down and the flaps have to be at 30 and your aircraft has to be slowed down to landing speed (for me, it has normally been around 165, it all depends on the weight).  Once you do all of that you'll see the 3 Green Landing light below the PFD which means landing will be nearly perfect. 

Best regards,

Rich,

Just to clarify.... you do not enter a Course or NAV frequency in the 777.  That's done automatically in the FMC when you enter the runway for landing.  It is extremely important you look in the LEGS page of the FMC and make sure there are no discontinuities or the flight doesn't have you going to the airport first and then back out to the glideslope (sometimes when I enter the landing runway for KCLT, the FMC will show KCLT in the flight plan first and then the runway glideslope and I have to move the waypoint for the glideslope up and remove KCLT and then reactivate).  If the FMC is configured properly, look in the PFD and look for the glidepath indicators.  If they are showing then you can capture the glideslope and then hit APP (or LOC).  The gear has to be down and the flaps have to be at 30 and your aircraft has to be slowed down to landing speed (for me, it has normally been around 165, it all depends on the weight).  Once you do all of that you'll see the 3 Green Landing light below the PFD which means landing will be nearly perfect. 

Best regards,

Great info Jim - take all I can - placing the ils/crs in parked mode key select worked for me - my legs are perfect no problem there

Where is the switch to shut off the mores code ? 

Thank you for the help guys - appreciate it

Just read a review at mutleys hanger and read this

To use this plane with any degree of success I was thus required to shut down my weather program and Accu-Feel.

Interesting because I have that loaded might try and disable it and see if that is causing issues

Review

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/kh/cs777/cs777.htm

To use this plane with any degree of success I was thus required to shut down my weather program and Accu-Feel.

That review is from 1.2, and the few flights I've done with the T7 I've done with OPUS weather. That issue might've/more than likely got fixed in 1.3 or 1.4

That review is from 1.2, and the few flights I've done with the T7 I've done with OPUS weather. That issue might've/more than likely got fixed in 1.3 or 1.4

Thanks may turn down some settings and see if it makes a difference cant hurt as I dont have to uninstall it - which I would not want to do as it is very nice program

Where is the switch to shut off the morse code ?

Ctrl+3 will turn off the sounds at the markers (in the Kneeboard assignments).  I tried it taking off from 19C at KIAD and heard the morse code type sound, hit Ctrl+3 and the sound stopped.  No way to turn off prior to takeoff/landing or permanently as far as I can see.

Best regards,

Finally - some clear and concise information on autolanding this monster. That was, in my opinion, the only thing lacking in the CS 777: good documentation.

Thanks all!

Ctrl+3 will turn off the sounds at the markers (in the Kneeboard assignments).  I tried it taking off from 19C at KIAD and heard the morse code type sound, hit Ctrl+3 and the sound stopped.  No way to turn off prior to takeoff/landing or permanently as far as I can see.

Best regards,

Wouldn't a this be a basic feature on one of the radio switches - doesnt make sense its not included

Also having a big problem when pressing the loc button it stops flying flt plan - just does what it wants - driving me crazy - cant do a cat landing with no loc process I would assume - cs forums no help other than Mark who has to do it all himself - crazy

After trying three flights using LOC and the plane doing what it wants, I will attempt another using the above information. Hopefully this will end with the plane safely on the ground.

Wouldn't a this be a basic feature on one of the radio switches - doesnt make sense its not included

Also having a big problem when pressing the loc button it stops flying flt plan - just does what it wants - driving me crazy - cant do a cat landing with no loc process I would assume - cs forums no help other than Mark who has to do it all himself - crazy

I agree with your comments about the radio switches. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why some have issues with CS aircraft. Little anomalies like this. In real life though they are on. You can turn them off permanently by going into the CS Sounds and renaming the offending sound (not sure which one it is right now.

I wrote some instructions on landing procedures but the AVSIM site is messed up right now and it completely wiped out everything I wrote (over an hours worth of writing). The site is not functioning properly. I will rewrite them and post them soon.

Best regards,

Landing Instructions:

This is basic instruction. Nothing glamorous or written to perfection so take that into consideration when reading this. You should already have a flight plan entered in the CDU/FMC/FMS (whatever you want to call it). The Primary Flight Display (PFD) will show a magenta line if the plan has been entered correctly. You should be flying with LNAV/VNAV engaged and, of course AP.  A lot of people, including me, have a complete flight plan from takeoff to landing with all the SID/STARS entered.  Not necessary but eliminates some of the steps below.

Near the Top of Descent (TD), I begin preparations for landing by going into the CDU and clicking on DEP/ARR page. When it opens up you will probably see the STARS and runways for your departing airport (that's what I see anyway). To get to the ARR page, you need to click on Index and then Approach (sometimes just clicking on Index is enough). Click on the airport you are arriving at and select a runway, say 18C. That's it. Nothing else. No STAR. No Transitions. Just the runway. The EXEC light will light up. Click on it and turn it off.

Go to the LEGS page and go through the pages and make sure there are no discontinuities (there will be at least one). Click on the waypoint just below the discontinuity then click on the empty space to move that waypoint up and eliminate the discontinuity. I personally move the waypoint just under the discontinuity and look for the arrival airport. If it is there, say KIAD, I will click on that and the waypoint will eliminate KIAD and move the approach waypoint up in the flight plan. You do not want to have the flight plan in the PFD going to your arrival airport first and then back out to your approach. It will be messy if that happens. As you are approaching your destination, you want to be looking at the PFD and making sure you are heading for the beginning of the approach and everything is connected. Make sure you activate any changes you made in the LEGS page. The EXEC light should NEVER be on.

Change the Altitude to 1500 (don't worry, the aircraft will not begin to descend until it reaches TD). If you forget to do this, you will get some warning sounds and messages in your FMC/CDU.

Sit back and enjoy the ride down. During the descent you want to make sure you have set the FLAPS speed. You do this by clicking on Index and then Approach in the CDU. In the Approach page you will see Flap settings and speeds. You want to click on Flaps 30 and the Reference Speed then click on the empty Flaps/Speed LSK and that will set your Speed for landing when you lower your flaps to 30.  It should look something like 30/165.  You can see that for Flaps setting at 20, the speed will be a little higher.

Continue to enjoy the ride down. At about FL 2500, you will notice in the PFD that the aircraft level arrows are showing on the right side. This arrow will show you are above or below the glideslope but it indicates you have captured the glideslope. You can hit the APP (I NEVER hit the LOC). If you are too high up on the glideslope, the aircraft will being to descend a little faster to bring it down to the proper level.

As you turn into the approach (or hit the approach waypoint), lower the gear and hit F8 to lower the flaps (you can hit F7 instead and bring them down slower but I always like hitting F8 as I have too many other things to be concerned about).

Make sure Autobrake is set to at least 2. Arm the spoilers by clicking on Shift+/.

As the flaps lower, you must manually bring the airspeed down to the flaps reference speed you entered above (usually around 165). I bring the speed down to about 170 to make sure I have the power to land.  You only need to be near the flaps speed, not exact.

Once the flaps are deployed to 30, the airspeed is down to 170, and landing gear are down, you should receive the LANDING3 GREEN light on the panel. This indicates the aircraft is configured properly for landing.

About 5 seconds before touching down, turn off the AutoThrottle switches (located between AP and the Speed) and bring your throttles on your joystick back. You'll get some warning messages that the AutoThrottle has been disconnected. Just click on the Warning light and it will stop making sounds. At landing, the aircraft will flare up just before touchdown. Once you touchdown, click on F2 to retard the engines and then F1 once the aircraft has stopped (or is almost stopped). Raise the flaps and make sure the spoilers are returned to normal position. Flaps need to be up as you don't want to accidently hit a vehicle that might be driving recklessly on the tarmac and trying to drive under your wing.  Turn off Runway lights and taxi to the gate.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Wow Jim - not going to quote all of that  lol - thanks so much - just got home now have to sort thru all of this - is your loc switch go crazy when you turn it on - as for permanently turning it off - no need its fine just amazed it doesnt have a shut off - been so long sine using pmdg I cant remember if it had one - I would think so - thanks so much for taking the time and I will give this a go - would be nice to have some nice flights over the holiday stretch

"Nothing else. No STAR. No Transitions. Just the runway. The EXEC light will light up. Click on it and turn it off."

Why do I have to wait I always prepare all of this in the fmc before taking off as I have a per determined runway with star - I would not have enough time to do this in flight as I always have a hard time getting the right star and fmc usually has to be cleaned up - I pretty much know how to do what you have posted but - some good info when its time to catch the GS 

"Change the Altitude to 1500 (don't worry, the aircraft will not begin to descend until it reaches TD). If you forget to do this, you will get some warning sounds and messages in your FMC/CDU."

Change to 1500 in the mcp only ?

"As you turn into the approach (or hit the approach waypoint"

Where in flt pln is the app waypoint for instance as I turn onto final I have about 3 waypoints before the runway ?

Ok read thru this sounds good but only works if the bird is adhering to the speed and altitudes I placed in the fmc next to each waypoint - and it has not been adhering I have had to use the mpc to control altitude and speed and this is a problem right off the bat - I will try again see what happens

You said: Why do I have to wait I always prepare all of this in the fmc before taking off as I have a per determined runway with star - I would not have enough time to do this in flight as I always have a hard time getting the right star and fmc usually has to be cleaned up - I pretty much know how to do what you have posted but - some good info when its time to catch the GS

My response: You can prepare the whole flight beforehand. In fact I recommend it. Just before the TD though, you should begin the preparation for the descent and landing, like changing the Altitude.

You said: Change to 1500 in the mcp only ?

My response: Yes. The FMC already has set up the descent so only need to adjust the MCP. I like 1500 feet. You can look at the approach waypoint near the last page of the LEGS page and see the altitude for the approach. If you leave it higher, say at 3000, then your aircraft may not capture the glideslope and you will be stuck at 3000 feet until you adjust it!

You said: Where in flt pln is the app waypoint for instance as I turn onto final I have about 3 waypoints before the runway ?

My response: In my case I know the first approach waypoint but, if you don't know it, then just click on one of the waypoints that's about 20 miles out to fix discontinuities. My objective was to make sure you got rid of any discontinuities so that you can have a nice approach and landing. Of course, if you enter all the data at the beginning, then you should have fixed the discontinuities then, before takeoff.

Best regards,

You said: Why do I have to wait I always prepare all of this in the fmc before taking off as I have a per determined runway with star - I would not have enough time to do this in flight as I always have a hard time getting the right star and fmc usually has to be cleaned up - I pretty much know how to do what you have posted but - some good info when its time to catch the GS

My response: You can prepare the whole flight beforehand. In fact I recommend it. Just before the TD though, you should begin the preparation for the descent and landing, like changing the Altitude.

My response: Yes. The FMC already has set up the descent so only need to adjust the MCP. I like 1500 feet. You can look at the approach waypoint near the last page of the LEGS page and see the altitude for the approach. If you leave it higher, say at 3000, then your aircraft may not capture the glideslope and you will be stuck at 3000 feet until you adjust it!

You said: Where in flt pln is the app waypoint for instance as I turn onto final I have about 3 waypoints before the runway ?

My response: In my case I know the first approach waypoint but, if you don't know it, then just click on one of the waypoints that's about 20 miles out to fix discontinuities. My objective was to make sure you got rid of any discontinuities so that you can have a nice approach and landing. Of course, if you enter all the data at the beginning, then you should have fixed the discontinuities then, before takeoff.

Best regards,

Excellent Jim - have to give it a go as whenever I am trying a new bird I like to fly from Boston to Providence so I am not wasting tons of time if all didn't go well - thanks Buddy - from one Stingray owner to another you ROCK -get back with result hope it follows vnav/lnav - pretty please lol

Best regards,

Well Jim that worked out pretty well - I think 165 needs to be lowered a bit as it cam in a little hard - 145 would probably be perfect - one thing that has me baffled is speed and altitude has to be done by me on the mcp - fmc speeds and altitudes were not adhered to why would that be - another thing is my flt plan due to how close I would assume these airports are to each other I have a very hard left to make so I applied app switch after the turn worked out very nice -I could have done a direct route to runway 05 but what fun would that be lol anyway you are the man - but still not understanding while in lnav/vnav it does not follow the inputs in the fmc also I noticed to get mcp knobs to accept a new speed or altitude you have to right mouse click the knob to get it to adhere - I would assume thats how it functions - thanks a lot Jim

Here a screenshot maybe you can see something odd - again sucker landed no problem

dw2sgl.jpg

Well Jim that worked out pretty well - I think 165 needs to be lowered a bit as it cam in a little hard - 145 would probably be perfect - one thing that has me baffled is speed and altitude has to be done by me on the mcp - fmc speeds and altitudes were not adhered to why would that be - another thing is my flt plan due to how close I would assume these airports are to each other I have a very hard left to make so I applied app switch after the turn worked out very nice -I could have done a direct route to runway 05 but what fun would that be lol anyway you are the man - but still not understanding while in lnav/vnav it does not follow the inputs in the fmc also I noticed to get mcp knobs to accept a new speed or altitude you have to right mouse click the knob to get it to adhere - I would assume thats how it functions - thanks a lot Jim

Here a screenshot maybe you can see something odd - again sucker landed no problem

dw2sgl.jpg

Based on your pic, you don't have a runway setup. Remember you are are loading the flightplan from FS format, which includes the actual airport identifier. You should delete that, and select an arrival runway, in the DEP/ARV page. With or without a procedure. Remember to clear any discontinuities. Then set your approach speed from VREF (+ wind component 5kts if <10kts, half wind speed if >10kts) for your selected landing flap setting. on approach page. not the legs page

You can hit the APP (I NEVER hit the LOC).

Jim, I'm curious: is this your general rule with all aircraft (PMDG included) or just specifically for the CS 777?

Based on your pic, you don't have a runway setup. Remember you are are loading the flightplan from FS format, which includes the actual airport identifier. You should delete that, and select an arrival runway, in the DEP/ARV page. With or without a procedure. Remember to clear any discontinuities. Then set your approach speed from VREF (+ wind component 5kts if <10kts, half wind speed if >10kts) for your selected landing flap setting. on approach page. not the legs page

I did enter the runway in the approach page thats how it new where to go - do you have a pic of a legs page showing what you mean - I picked runway 05 and a star also how else would it have know to get to the runway - as for approach page that was done to just not shown in this shot - thanks

I did enter the runway in the approach page thats how it new where to go - do you have a pic of a legs page showing what you mean - I picked runway 05 and a star also how else would it have know to get to the runway - as for approach page that was done to just not shown in this shot - thanks

This is a flightplan from KDFW to KLAX.

This is with flight plan loaded, no approach defined

fsx2014-06-3022-40-05-57_zps4bb44914.jpg

This is with Runway 25L selected, Note the KLAX identifier, is still there.

fsx2014-06-3022-40-57-58_zpsc7ea3a71.jpg

This is with the airport identifier (KLAX) deleted along with the discontinuities.

fsx2014-06-3022-41-20-54_zpsb83a3a77.jpg

This is a flightplan from KDFW to KLAX.

This is with flight plan loaded, no approach defined

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/tf51d/fsx2014-06-3022-40-05-57_zps4bb44914.jpg

This is with Runway 25L selected, Note the KLAX identifier, is still there.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/tf51d/fsx2014-06-3022-40-57-58_zpsc7ea3a71.jpg

This is with the airport identifier (KLAX) deleted along with the discontinuities.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/tf51d/fsx2014-06-3022-41-20-54_zpsb83a3a77.jpg

Great Tom have to look into this tomorrow night - thanks a lot for posting them - take care.

A bit of info this was an imported flight plan from Avilasoft efb - so where can I get the final runway info from ?

Jim, I'm curious: is this your general rule with all aircraft (PMDG included) or just specifically for the CS 777?

That's correct. I never hit the localizer in the PMDG aircraft. Just the APP.

As Tom stated above, you do not have a runway selected. Look in my instructions again and look where I say you have to hit the DEP/ARR page on the FMC. You then select a runway (no STAR, no transition, just a runway). You came back and stated you had all of that already entered before you took off. Well, you can do that and complete everything at the beginning but you still need to select a Runway. Then you have to make sure there are no discontinuities in the FMC (there will be at least one).

I forgot to add that you will have a nasty landing if you do not go into the Approach Page in the FMC around the time you are at the ToD. In there you have to select the Flaps and Landing speed. It will be different almost always depending on the weight of the aircraft. If it is the same flight plan, it will probably always be the same landing speed.

Best regards,

Sign in to follow this