Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Earth Simulations Autogenesis product page up

The first area to be covered by Earth Simulations new Autogenesis product line is up on their store.

http://earthsimulations.com/shop/

It's available to pre-order..release date is marked as 1st week in August for photoscenery / mid July for the 3D autogen and there are separate products for the new photoscenery and 3D autogen products.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Got the email on this for the pre-order and hopped into the forum to see if anyone had anything to say. The screenshots look fantastic. Love the rugged coasts, water masks, etc. Quality photo scenery plus accurate autogen across a wide coverage area has been a bit of a dream of mine for many years. I  Just think it offers great potential for an immersive, no-compromises experience. 

That said, Investing in the entirety of the UK coverage would end up being cost-prohibitive for me, but I would certainly consider picking up smaller bits of coverage. 

Couple of questions for the developers if they are lurking about:

1) Do the Photogenesis screenshots on your site represent the 30cm or 60cm products? Both of the respective product pages seem to use the same screenshots. Can you perhaps offer a side-by-side comparison? 

2) Performance is probably my number one concern. I was considering picking up the Isle of Man (hey, it's on sale) as a sort of demo so I could use it as a testbed to help me decide if the Photogensis and Autogenesis products would be right for me. Would you say that performance of the Isle of Man and the scenery quality would be similar to what I'll encounter with the larger scenery areas?

This looks like an outstanding product. I only wish they would do scenery of this caliber for other places other than the UK since I rarely fly there.

My have to bite the bullet to show my support though, since they really seem to "get it" when it comes to photoreal development (meaning high resolutions, seasons, autogen and 3D objects)

Best, Michael

KDFW

This is really stunning and must have and will require huge amount of hours and work. The combination of photoscenery (seasonal) and real objects is definitely the way forward in flight simulation.

I've been trying (without luck) to get building information from Ordnance Survey (The government mapping agency in the UK) for use in X-Plane scenery in a similar fashion to this for a while now as OSM data is fairly bad and sporadic in the UK, and it's simply priced so high and out of reach of anyone but large companies. Also, to make matters worse, the free data that Ordnance Survey do offer in the form of their vector data which contains forests, coastlines, rivers, etc.. is limited and bits are purposely missing much to my annoyance (Which is maybe why they had to manually add trees and forests after import). It would seem that Ordnance Survey purposely limit the amount of data they give so that it's just about useful, but not useful enough, which is a great pity, since if the data was available like in other countries, I'm sure we'd have the country well covered now.

I look forward to picking this up when it's out, and getting this is a no-brainer for me :smile:, but I fear it may be a long wait before they eventually get to the area I grew up

I'm slightly confused... The current offer cost of the Pro 30cm version is £29.99 but in the email it says this by special order only, and due to the size the product is supplied on a disk drive, the cost of which is refunded when you send the device back... so, is the £30 inc the cost of the drive, which you can then keep (seems unlikely) or is there an additional cost for supplying the drive on top of the £30 for the data?

What is the size of the 30cm version?... I need to see if I need a new drive to keep the installation data.

I also wonder about use in Prepar3Dv2.2+ and about the 3D and compatibility with Orbx which currently covers my entire UK.

I know these are question for Darren and Vicky and the info may be on their site and forum, but I cannot get it to work at the moment... so hopefully they will pop in here to answer any questions as well.

Hi Novation,

The cost of the scenery is £29.99, and the 30cm scenery is supplied on a HD for which you pay a refundable deposit.  You get the deposit back when you send them the drive back :)  So the scenery only costs the £29.99 really.  It's like in the old days when you took pop bottles back for a penny ;)

I'm not sure 100% about full P3D2 compatibility, but I should imagine they're looking at it.  The only thing I can imagine might not work properly would be night lighting, as Aerosoft's had some issues with that?  But even if that's the case (and I don't know, just speculation) I heard LM had fixed that problem with the upcoming 2.3 release.  There is always Aerosoft's night environment pack you can get as well which I think Chris Bell the developer said was going to work in P3D2, so worst case scenario you could get that and use both together? :D  If that's the worst case there is I'll be a happy man!

The scenery ES sells is all photoscenery, so it will replace any OrbX stuff you have, which is landclass based.  Landclass scenery like OrbX is only ever a depiction of what's there, never like it actually is in reality.  The autogenesis line of products hopefully intends to cover the whole UK with real imagery and proper 3D autogen, so it will be way above OrbX in terms of realism.

Cheers K

The ES site is back up and running now :)

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

xaP1VAU.png

I read the pro page and its pretty clear what the cost is, its another £36 on top of the offer price of £29.99 if you want to keep the drive, or you pay a refundable £40 on top of the £29.99 if you are sending the drive back. What isn't clear at all is the install size, as it says it's the same regardless of which product you look at i.e. 120Gb minimum to 150Gb maximum depending on install options, and that clearly isn't correct as the 30cm scenery must be at least 4 times the install size compared to the 60cm product (depending on the amount of compression).

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy, Darren confirmed on his forums this morning that it was an error, and the 120-150Gb was referring to the 30cm version, so the 60cm will be considerably smaller than that I should imagine yes. Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

I really hope that the FS community (particularly UK flyers) supports this venture by Earth Simulations. All 18 volumes will empty my piggy bank, but surely this is the type of scenery that we have all dreamed about? High resolution colour balanced photorealistic scenery covered by realistic autogen trees, buildings and other interesting objects. This is light years beyond anything that we have seen for the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) in FS, and it deserves to be a complete success for Darren and Vicki.

On a side note, I have been saving £2 coins for quite some time, and have now amassed around £400 in total. I never really had a specific reason for saving all these coins, but the ES AutoGenesis project would seem to be the answer :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Novation

Hi Kevin... cheers for the info  :smile:  which I thought must be the case re the drive delivery. I can now access the ES site, and see it for myself the costings, though it is painfully slow. I wonder what sort of drive they will use?

I am well aware of the differences between photo and LC scenery, owning both full Horizon UK and Orbx scenery packages :wink: ... its just currently I happen to prefer Orbx for various reasons. If I buy ES's first portion of the UK + the 3D I am concerned there will then be issues, not with the photo layer, as that will always display above LC, but with the Autogen. I know ES and Orbx 3D have had some compatibility clashes in the past... same with RevolutionX 3D and FTX.. though I'm sure workarounds become available.

Maybe I should keep FSX as a photoscenery sim, and P3D and a Landclass sim... though I would like to see those scudding cloud shadows across the Highland mountains.

I am well aware of the differences between photo and LC scenery, owning both full Horizon UK and Orbx scenery packages :wink:

Sorry, didn't mean to try to teach you how to suck eggs :)

If I buy ES's first portion of the UK + the 3D I am concerned there will then be issues, not with the photo layer, as that will always display above LC, but with the Autogen. I know ES and Orbx 3D have had some compatibility clashes in the past... same with RevolutionX 3D and FTX.. though I'm sure workarounds become available.

There is a downloadable set of autogen files from ES which makes OrbX and ES sceneries (and others) 100% compatible, so you should find no problem in easily getting them all to play well together :)

Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

There is a downloadable set of autogen files from ES which makes OrbX and ES sceneries (and others) 100% compatible, so you should find no problem in easily getting them all to play well together :)

That is good to know, and makes me feel more confident in mixing the sceneries.... thanks for your help Kevin :smile:

Just need to think carefully whether I need the 30cm version over the 60cm.

Hi

Do the Photogenesis screenshots on your site represent the 30cm or 60cm products? Both of the respective product pages seem to use the same screenshots. Can you perhaps offer a side-by-side comparison? 

The screenshots we have available at the moment are showing the 60cm. We'll get some more as soon as we can of the 30cm separately. The extra definition provided by the 30cm really only comes in to effect at quite low altitudes due to the way the simulator displays different levels of detail at receding distances. Which in turn can be influenced by settings and tweaks.

Would you say that performance of the Isle of Man and the scenery quality would be similar to what I'll encounter with the larger scenery areas?

For various reasons the performance of the Autogenesis 3D is noticeably better when compared to our Island sceneries. Influenced as all scenery is by just how populated an area is in view at a given time.

is there a demo for the product?

Sorry Chris...no, but we'll be looking to provide one as the overall project advances.

compatibility with Orbx?

The sceneries are fully compatible with Orbx and also with the existing GenX scenery ( and indeed RevX,  which is replaced of course within the ES scenery area but is unchanged outside of the active ES area. ).

I can now access the ES site

Unfortunately we have been effected this morning by some kind soul seeking to hack the ES website.  :unsure:  I so wish these people would spend their energy doing something ( indeed anything) that's a bit more productive.

Hope that answers your questions, and thank you for the overall positive response. :)