Sign in to follow this  
Guest GOP

Sea Hurricanes by Robert Sanderson

What a fine aircraft!! And freeware too. As good as most of the payware stuff out there.Thanks Robert.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. It's certainly a nice looking model, but when in vc mode I cannot see out of the windows as there is a curious kind of moving film over them- like the effect of a window delaminating, so as I like flying in the vc I've abandoned it for the moment.

Really?? I fly from the VC about 100% and I have been flying it for the last 2 days and I love the dynamic sun reflection on the canopy. This is the first aircraft in a long time that actually gives me a good sense of motion and depth perception.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

This sounds like a problem with your graphics drivers. You could try updating them and see if it improves matters.Alastair

Guest LonelyplanetXO

From the FAQ in the manual... "I can

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there . Thanks for the tip. I will try that and report back!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Wierd. I posted a reply which got lost after this one so who'se to know. Anyway the glass tip worked well, thankyou. 2 other things now-1) there is no heading bug for the autopilot I think, so it works just with the gps, I'm guessing, and 2) because I didn't read the manual I now crash after 2 or 3 minutes flying time as I don't think I've sorted out the fuel business!!

Guest LonelyplanetXO

Can't help you with the autopilot I'm afraid. My advice is forget about it - the real thing didn't have one! Crashing after 2-3 minutes is a bit unusual. The fuel system is fairly well explained in the manual but I think your problem is more likely to be that you are running the engine at full throttle. It's not designed to be run at flat out constantly so the engine will go "bang" after a few minutes at full boost (that's realism for you), or if the cowl flap is closed. If you keep it under 8lbs boost and ensure the cowl flap is open when climbing or operating the aircraft at low speed your engine should never fail. Again, I'd suggest reading the manual to find the limits.All the bestLPXO

Guest panda234

Just downloaded it. This is a great aircraft, lot's of fun!billg

Guest Robert Sanderson

Hi everyone,

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. Thank you for all these great responses. LonelyPlanet, you are quite right and I am now flying at reduced boost to save myself and the engine embarrassment. I realise there would be no autopilot in the real plane and yet the instrumentation is there for an ILS landing and so on, so I was really just wondering aloud whether I had missed the heading bug as much as whether there was one in the cockpit! I should also say again what a great model it is and reinforces something I posted some time ago that freeware developers are real heroes. In a world governed by commercial self-interest it is extraordinary to keep being given all these add-ons to our hobby which in many ways are better than ones you might pay for! Thank you to all of them.Andy.

Guest av84fun

First, let me applaud the amazing amount of work that went into the development of this really fine add-on. In addition, Mr. Sanderson's exceptionally authoritative post in this thread is testimony to the quality of this project.I am having a BLAST flying this machine.However, Andy, when you stated <>I realize that you were trying to pay a compliment and one that is well deserved but possibly unintentionally, you took a swipe at the payware developers...and unfairly so IMHO."Commercial self-interest" is what brings us nearly every product and service that we use in our lives and our desire to have those things is in an elegant balance with the rightful interests of those who spend their lives and careers to bring them to us.Please keep in mind that not everyone has the time, let alone the desire, let alone the skill, to produce such high quality products as the Sea Hurricane.Many payware developers love aviation and simming as much, if not more, than anyone else but need to make a living. I, for one THANK the several truly outstanding payware developers who create so much VALUE for us in this great hobby. Without them, simming would be a mere shadow of its present state of development.And when the cost of their products are measured against the hours of pleasure derived, they clearly provide among the cheapest forms of entertainment on the planet.So, let's applaud those with the time and the skill to bring us such GREAT products as the Sea Hurricane without demeaning the payware industry...at least certain participants in it...that also contribute mightily to this hobby.Respectfully,Jim

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there, Jim I didn't intend to knock the payware side of things in the way it could have been taken, so my apologies for that. In fact I do buy from time to time but being Scottish it is a fairly rare occasion and as the moths don't appreciate being woken up too many times a month my wallet tends to stays closed, for the sake of the sunlight on their beady little eyes as much as anything else. I think what I was trying to express was my sense of wonder at the fact of this extraordinary amount of work being offered freely to the Flight Sim community because surely as much work, if not more, goes into producing these freeware models and I am so used to the idea of being paid for your work that it is difficult to get your head round the idea of things being offered freely! Robert's manual on fuel management which I've printed off is another example of the amount of work on this craft as well as all the time and dedication which he must have spent on every other part of it. We must all look after the machine as well as possible and not crash it too often--although even that is modelled with broken or bent prop blades and other bits flying off, so we will be tempted to come in wheels up from time to time, I'm afraid!!Andy.

Guest GOP

For realism you can't get much better than this period. Still cannot believe this was free. For every version of flight sim a group or individual has raised the bar. The bar has defiently been raised with this one! This is my all time favorite plane I've downloaded for flight sim, paid for or otherwise! Big thank you for giving this gift!!Steve

Guest GOP

I found an article online about flying the real Hurricane. The first part deals with the pre-flight and look about the cockpit. Note from the pictures in the article the panel and the systems from the real plane; shows how good this free package is in detail! http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/185674-1.htmlThe second part of the article deals with the actual flight of the Hurricane, again we find that for flight sim the flight modeling is awsome! http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/185849-1.htmlComing up I have a business trip to California. On my down time I'm planning on a stop to the Museum of Flying at Santa Monica. Just to see the real thing.