Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Try setting your graphic rez to: 4096 as your new 'default' setting.

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

....no matter what you have installed, scenery or planes...and at what texture size they are using...... as this might be totally independent of those installed sizes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had no impact on FPS performance, and (as per another thread read somewhere out there on the planet...) and have been flying in ORBX NCA SP1 with the following .cfg file in play...for over an hour and a half...and NO O.O.M's..that I would have, should have had with FSX at these .cfg settings.  The thread suggested that the way the FSX parses and stores graphic textures...if you set the graphics to anything lower than the max setting that FSX can 'see'...it actually works harder to render graphics to the screen, if you have your .cfg setting as a figure lower than 4096, and this doesn't matter if you have ANY textures greater than even, 1024. This also is suggested for P3D as well.

Well...I can only say, that I have always had my texture settings to either 1024, or 2048...but NEVER set to 4096.  At those other two .cfg settings, I did have CTD and O.O.M in ORBX regions at my .cfg settings.  So...does it mean that FSX's texture engine will run more efficiently with a .cfg setting of 4096, and does it use memory in a more efficient manner, to prevent, or greatly reduce the chance of an O.O.M, or outright CTD?  Like I said...I am blasting all over NCA SP1 at many different altitudes, changing all my viewpoints...everything...and no O.O.M, or CTD episode.  

Having this setting certainly has NOT resulted in a lower FPS count at any other viewpoint with either 1024 or 2048 as the setting.

Try it out...set your sim to 4096 and then go fly.  If you have HAD O.O.M. pretty regularly at full-out sliders, or you CTD within about 20 minutes...but no longer do....then I suggest you also post that finding to this thread as a testimonial.  The original poster might have been on to something in his discovery of FSX/P3D running better with the highest texture setting the engine can render as now 'default'.

Graphic output to the screen is crystal clear under 4096 as well.

Worth a look, anyway....and here below is my FSX.cfg file that runs the show.....under Steve's DX10 Fixer, with DX10.

Mitch 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=245
[bufferPools]
UsePools=0
[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=4
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458436
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458434
D3D10=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=0
[sOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=0
UISound=1
AmbientUI=0
SOUND_FADER1=0.750000
SOUND_FADER2=1.000000
SOUND_FADER3=1.000000
SOUND_FADER4=1.000000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01
[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=1
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80
TextureMaxLoad=6
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=True
[Main]
DisablePreload=1
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT
SimObjectPaths.7=MyTraffic\Aircraft
ProcSpeed=8568
PerfBucket=7
Maximized=1
Location=-8,-8,1924,1168,\\.\DISPLAY1
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=2.000000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=2
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=6
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4
[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4
[slewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[slewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=0
[uSERINTERFACE]
PageID=1
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=1
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
Map_Orientation=2
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=All
SelectAircraftType=Motoryacht
DisplayFuelAsWeight=0
[ATC]
ShowATCText=0
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
UsePilotVoice=1
PilotVoice=458752
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0
[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=0
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
SmallPartRejectRadius=1
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=16
GADensity=16
FreewayDensity=20
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=100
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=5.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=7
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10
[AContain]
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000
[iNTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0
[REALISM]
PFactor=1.000000
Torque=1.000000
GyroEffect=1.000000
CrashTolerance=1.000000
General=1.000000
UnlimitedFuel=False
TrueAirspeed=False
AutoCoord=False
RealMixture=False
StressDamage=True
GEffect=True
ManualLights=True
GyroDrift=False
CrashWithDyn=False
CrashDetection=True
AutoTrim=False
[sIM]
SYSCLOCK=1
[sTARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1
[FACILITIES]
COUNTRY=
STATE=
CITY=
GTL_BUTTON=1206
[Misc]
Com_Rate=7
[FlightPlanMap]
LineWidth=2
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_waypoints=1
show_airways=1
show_markers=1
show_volume_boundaries=1
show_ac_twr=1
[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=0
SHOW_VORS=0
SHOW_NDBS=0
SHOW_APPROACHES=0
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=0
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
[FSDREAMTEAM]
AntiPopUp=30
AltitudeCull=1
[MAPVIEW_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=0
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_flight_history=1
Anisotropic=1
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0.0]
Mode=1920x1200x32
AntiAlias=1
Anisotropic=1
[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0
VoiceVolume=2.000000

I for one would like to know for sure.  I have always dialed back my texture res because of the statements made in the past that higher res textures did cause fps hits.  I'll watch this thread for more.  Thanks for the info!

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It's not so much an FPS hit as it is a VAS hit.  I run at 5760x1080, i have had to dial back both the LoD (to 3.5) and the max texture.

Ian R Tyldesley

It's not so much an FPS hit as it is a VAS hit.  I run at 5760x1080, i have had to dial back both the LoD (to 3.5) and the max texture.

Right...not truly too much to do with FPS.  Setting this to 4096 has been an incredible experience for most of the morning. I have done the following:

1. Been flying in both NCA SP1 and SAK.30 with constant spot-view change-ups.  Constant cabin views via EZCA.  I have been flying non-stop now for over 2.5 hours...at my .cfg settings with obviously no CTD or O.O.M sim stoppage.  This is incredible. I believe that the fellow who originally posted to do this...is definitely onto a FSX engine-rendering quirk of FSX.  I never would have had this kind of tenacity/endurance with FSX...NEVER!   All I did...was change from 1024, to 4096 in the .cfg file...and that was a continuous ORBX region pig-fest, 2.5 hours ago.  I am presently (to post) in pause north of Ketchikan...and heading out to some of the fly-in cabins and float-plane bases within SAK.   Unbelievable endurance, for only changing to what he recommended.  If I can find the original post...I'll leave a link...but If I can't...thank you to the original poster for this observational tip.  You know what?-----------------------> your suggestion works fabulously!

Mitch

I for one would like to know for sure.  I have always dialed back my texture res because of the statements made in the past that higher res textures did cause fps hits.  I'll watch this thread for more.  Thanks for the info!

No prob...but please...try this for yourself. In the .cfg just change from whatever you had LESS than 4096. Don't change anything else. Go and use FSX...and see what it does for you for no VAS failure throughout your flight session.  I have been at it for over 2.5 hours...in VAS killing ORBX regions (NCA and SAK) and no O.O.M or CTD in continuous use. Unbelievable!

This works...because I don't have a magic system, that only I would see this.....  The original poster discovered this...and threaded it....i read, I set...and 2.5 hours later...WOW!  I have this now set in my P3D file as my new 'leave it alone' default texture max load setting.  Done!

The one TEXTURE MAX LOAD setting to rule them all, lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my system, with my .cfg file...I declare after 3 continuous hours of ORBX regions; NCA SP1 and SAK.30, the O.O.M VAS memory management and usage user limitation to be busted...given the boot...gone.  FSX is now as stable as P3D on my system, and with my both published in threads, .cfg files.  The poster was right.  FSX manages VAS and scenery memory loading much more effecient, with a .cfg setting of 4096, no matter what actual size texture in the scenery is being rendered.

it works!  Just one setting change...and good-bye FSX V.A.S. issues......bye-bye.......

Now...back to the 3 hour continuous flight marathon.  I don't believe that it is a time vs. scenery render issue any longer in using FSX with this find....it is how long I can stand to be in the cockpit...and THAT FOLKS..is a good deal.  This hobby and its user-discoveries just keeps getting better 'n better....  If I can produce these results...then so can YOU!

Three hours!  This has set an all-time personal record for continuous flight, over brutal to render scenery ....since having first loaded FSX all those many years ago..... 

Back to Alaska...and the SkyMaster flying over it....   :P

What sort of aircraft were you testing this with Mitch ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

You do know the setting will return to 1024 the next time you start the sim? So you have to change that in your cfg. file each time you  fly unless you use a neat little utility that allows you to set your TML and each time you start the sim it will do it for you.

Just Google "Frosty TML" it's free and works great.

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

What sort of aircraft were you testing this with Mitch ?

The Carenado C377 SkyMaster.

Well...for the first time since the original install-Mitch history.... FSX OUTLASTED ME~   I landed somewhere on an airstrip in SAK...out in the mountains, with 10,000 feet tops all around me...with ASN, and everything else you all probably have...running in the background...and FSX made me cry; "Uncle!".   I started my flight around 03:00, and just ended it, continuous usage at 06:45!!!

3 hours, and 45 minutes!!!   No CTD. No V.A.S. crash limits!  There has got to be something in the memory and rendering engine that needs the max setting in the .cfg file, no matter if you have a 4096 textures anywhere within a hundred miles of FSX, lol.  Folks...this simple finding, works.  V.A.S. crashes with even the most brutal ORBX regions and full graphics settings is DEAD!  FSX...or P3D...pick you sim...and enjoy...both now with stability....ORBX, or otherwise... :)

You do know the setting will return to 1024 the next time you start the sim? So you have to change that in your cfg. file each time you  fly unless you use a neat little utility that allows you to set your TML and each time you start the sim it will do it for you.

Just Google "Frosty TML" it's free and works great.

Bob G.

Nope...it stays in my .cfg.  It stays, until I change it. I've always had that.... :)   I shut down about 10 minutes ago...and just clicked up my .cfg file...and it is still loaded as 4096. :)

3 hours, and 45 minutes!!! No CTD. No V.A.S. crash limits! There has got to be something in the memory and rendering engine that needs the max setting in the .cfg file, no matter if you have a 4096 texture anywhere within a hundred miles of FSX, lol. Folks...this simple finding, works. V.A.S. crashes with even the most brutal ORBX regions and full graphics settings is DEAD! FSX...or P3D...pick you sim...and enjoy...both now with stability....ORBX, or otherwise... :)

The big test Mitch would be in the PMDG 777  say from FSDT CYVR with PNW and FSDT KJFK.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Sorry. I should have said it will reset to 1024 if you make any changes to your settings as per this post by PAXX in this post from another forum.

"The "Texture Max Load" setting in the fsx.cfg file will remain as set if 1024 or below. If you are setting it higher, say 4096, for REX (or other texture software) textures then the "Texture Max Load" will remain as set until you make a change to the display settings (sliders) within FSX at which point FSX will reset "Texture Max Load" to 1024. You would need to manually change it back and save after you finish adjusting your sliders. You can use Windows Notepad (and only Windows Notepad, for most users) to edit the fsx.cfg file"

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Sorry. I should have said it will reset to 1024 if you make any changes to your settings as per this post by PAXX in this post from another forum.

"The "Texture Max Load" setting in the fsx.cfg file will remain as set if 1024 or below. If you are setting it higher, say 4096, for REX (or other texture software) textures then the "Texture Max Load" will remain as set until you make a change to the display settings (sliders) within FSX at which point FSX will reset "Texture Max Load" to 1024. You would need to manually change it back and save after you finish adjusting your sliders. You can use Windows Notepad (and only Windows Notepad, for most users) to edit the fsx.cfg file"

Ok..noted. I always had manipulated FSX through the .cfg file.   That was a good point for those reading to read, and to remember....

The big test Mitch would be in the PMDG 777  say from FSDT CYVR with PNW and FSDT KJFK.

Well...Bad, with what I fly in FSX, mostly Carenado general aviation and business class sleds.....I can't really say if the same results will hold.  I know it will for my usage, though.  almost four hours pounding through NCA and SAK tells me so..lol.

Someone with that plane, and that usage parameter will then have to set to 4096. and then see if they can outlast their longest flight to date, before the VAS limit kicks them off the flight line...  They then should report their findings with that type of flight and equipment used...as a yay, or nay happening....!

I've been using 4096 for yonks. All it means is that FSX doesn't have to 'resize' those textures that are over 1024. I think that apart from hi-res aircraft which are increasingly 4096, almost everything in scenery textures are only 1024 anyway.

If you think about it, if the cfg is limiting FSX to 1024 it has to choke when confronted by anything bigger.

I also think there is a misconception that MTL=4096 will make ALL textures 4096.

2 cents, kerching!

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

I've been using 4096 for yonks. All it means is that FSX doesn't have to 'resize' those textures that are over 1024. I think that apart from hi-res aircraft which are increasingly 4096, almost everything in scenery textures are only 1024 anyway.

If you think about it, if the cfg is limiting FSX to 1024 it has to choke when confronted by anything bigger.

I also think there is a misconception that MTL=4096 will make ALL textures 4096.

2 cents, kerching!

Wow, that makes a lot of sense.  So what you are saying is basically what the feature means in the config:  FSX is set to load up to  4096 so with that being set that way, FSX doesn't have to resize textures which could potentially bog down the system.  I will definitely have to try this out and see how it affects my system.  Thanks for the insight Ron!

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

This sounds interesting, but defies logic.  Could someone using Pete Dowson's VAS output .lua file please test and report on VAS sizes, both before and after 4096 is applied?  If the 'OP's' observations are correct and VAS does not approach critical levels when 4096 is applied, then this is most helpful.  Many thanks.

Phil

Naturally, I call placebo unless statistics prove me wrong or I see a VAS comparison between before and after (preferably after a two hour jetliner flight or so).

Using a 1024 setting for 2048 textures just means that FSX uses the 1024 px mip level (the first or second, depending on the source texture file).

I could be that, when textures are saved without mip maps and FSX is told to use the 1024 or 2048 mip only, that FSX resizes any textures that are biiger than that on the go. This might involve loading the source texture, resizing it and using the resized version for rendering the final image. This puts two versions of the texture into the VAS. By giving FSX free reign in terms of maimum allowed texture resolution, it could very well be that only the high res version is used which in turn saves VAS.

It's just an uneducated thought though. Don't quote me on it.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days