Sign in to follow this  
Jetblst

Turbojet Engine Tweaking. Looking for Help

I noticed my N1 and N2 fan speeds are OFF THE CHARTS and the model is too overpowered.  I tried to adjust it via FSUIPC calibration with my controller levers to no avail.

Where can I go to adjust the parameters.  I fly the jet RW so I simply would like the engines to behave a little more realistically.

Thanks.

Respectfully,

Jet

Look in your aircraft.cfg file for:

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar = 1.0

Depending on the aircraft and it's developer, you may want to lower the number.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Making a plane fly by the numbers, even just by N1 and N2 is an endeavour in blood, sweat, tears and urges to kill someone.

Unless you are willing to sink hundreds of hours to get acquainted with the basics of FDE engineering for FSX, jet engines and aerodynamics in general, just follow Charlie's advice and lower the thrust scalar. Then throw away the charts.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Great points guys.  Thanks.

Im not looking for chart realism, I just want to tone it down a little.  Right now the RW published N1 limitation is 104% and the N2 is 96%  In FSX no matter the calibration, max lever throw gives me 111.8 N1 and N2 of the same.  

So scalar it is.  and No I don't wish to become a programmer just yet.  LOL

Question

What about Engine Inlet Paramaters or any others?

IS there a way to simply limit N1 and N2 to some value slightly over the above limitations?  

If not thanks for answering my questions guys.

Respectfully,

Jet

Nope. N1 and N2 values are always an .air file related issue. Same as EPR and EGT, but these are borked even when the rest of the numbers is accurate.

The inlet_area in the aircraft.cfg just changes ouput power and ram drag.

Well had some success with scalar.  However I had the most success with fuel flow gain verses the other parameters.  I am actually very close to the feel anyway of how the engines behave.

Usually in the aircraft we hit slightly over N1 of 104% on our takeoff runs.  I have it where in the sim I hit 104.8 at present time.  The best parameters to tweak so far are scalar and ffgain.

http://www.mudpond.org/jet_flow_chart.pdf

Respectfully,

Jet

Interesting update.

I found out that the guy who did the programming for the BeechJet also flew the Beechjet.  What is really interesting is that I took a look at the RAT, SAT, and ISA that I was getting on the climbouts and developed a hunch. 

FSX Weather engine DOES in fact leave a lot to be desired...  So I fired up Active Sky, and used the High Altitude Mode.  Funny how the engines now behave almost EXACTLY like in the aircraft.

The only problem is the the fuel flows on the fuel FLOW gauge are way off.  I haven't flown long enough yet to determine if it is a gauge thing or if I am actually getting those burns. 

(Posted just incase anyone is follwing this)

Respectfully,

Jet

If it is just the fuel flow/burn rate that is now off, adjusting the fuel flow scalar entry in the aircraft cfg file might get you some realistic burn rates.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If it is just the fuel flow/burn rate that is now off, adjusting the fuel flow scalar entry in the aircraft cfg file might get you some realistic burn rates.

Thanks for the tip Stans.  All I had to do was to adjust the fuel flow scalar from 1.0 to 1.2, use Active Sky and that did the trick.

We rule of thumb plan fuel at 1500 lbs first hour 1200 there after and we are good for realistically a 3.5 hour trip max.

Well first hour fuel was 1525.  I have the RW charts and Simuflite Manual, so the performance programming is spot on.

I grabbed a copy of AirWrench and I am learning how to use it.  Funny how it turns out that all I needed was a realistic weather generator.

Respectfully,

Jet

MSFS' default amospheric modeling is rather simple and it makes for quite a bit of a headache when hacking in engine-related numbers.

MSFS' default amospheric modeling is rather simple and it makes for quite a bit of a headache when hacking in engine-related numbers.

That and it made and makes the flying part a lot less real as well.  So Active Sky for now.  Not sold on Next.

Using Active Sky I am amazed at how close to real world things are.

Respectfully,

Jet