Sign in to follow this  
Guest RotorRick

Erratic behavior when climbing to cruise

Guest fsfly

Hi all, hopefully someone can give me an answer to the following. I like flying some of the "heavy" jets, (757/767/777) on flights but seems that either I have been doing something wrong, or the aircraft in question has a problem. These 3 aircraft I have downloaded from various places/modelers so they have not come from the same authors, but they all exhibit the same problem, so it leads me to believe its "me" that is the problem. Scenario: I create a flight plan in FS2004, say Los Angeles to New York, I have the autopilot set for roughly an 1800 to 2200 foot per minute climb, speed settings, direction, barometric settings vary as directed by ATC. I take off as directed, start my climb out to various altitudes per ATC to my final cruise altitude of say 35,000 feet, usually by the time I am close to the 30,000 foot level, (its happened from 25,000 to 33,000) the aircraft begins to pitch up real bad to the point of "stall" then usually rolls over on its back and dives toward the ground. At this point ATC is advising to expedite my climb to XXXX feet! It seems as if all of a sudden the autopilot has gone haywire and its not holding climb rate, and speed settings. I know when this starts to happen because all of a sudden the speed starts to drop until it gets to the point that it can no longer sustain the climb rate. In all cases I have started these flights with the default full load of fuel etc etc. Is there some thing I am doing wrong in my setup? I find it hard to believe that each of these aircraft will do the same exact thing even though they have come from different authors. Any pointers on this problem would be most appreciated. One other thing, it seems that only when I try to get the aircraft above the 30,000 foot level does it seem to happen, I have been able to fly them at lower altitudes without problems, but that is not to realistic for long haul flights. Thanks, Joe

Hi,Probably too heavy.With a full load of fuel, passengers and cargo you can reach FL 290-310.Set climbrate according IAS, start with 2000 ft/min.Above 10000 feet accelerate to 300 kts IAS and maintain this speed to say FL 280.Then you should have MACH 0.7 and keep this to your requested altitude.If in both cases speed drops, lower rate of climb to 1500 or 1000 ft/minWhen level accelerate to Mach 0.8.If speed drops when climbing with only, say, 200 ft/min, then you have reached the maximum altitude for the plane's configuration.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest RotorRick

You are probably still climbing far too fast: 2000 fpm is fine initially, but above 15,000 feet ASL is probably too much. With that climb rate, you may not be able to have enough airspeed to maintain flight, and you stall. I have no idea if this is accurate for the real world, but I