Sign in to follow this  
Caribpilot

Which would you prefer? Custom FMS or Default GPS

Custom FMS or Default GPS  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer...?

• A complex aircraft for FSX/P3D that has it's own custom or fully simulated FMS
    • A complex aircraft for FSX/P3D that uses the default FSX GPS for flight planning

Thought it would be interesting to see whether simmers prefer a complex aircraft (737,777 or Modern Business jets) that use a fully simulated FMS or the Default GPS for flight planning.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Obviously custom - navigraph /navdata pro capable is a must.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What's the point of having a complex aircraft without one of its main systems?

Unless it's a classic

Guest LufthansaVA

I would prefer a realistic FMS over the default GPS for those big jets  ^_^

Olli, I suprised you would put your name to a statement like that? lol

There is only one way to fly a simulation, as it is done in reality.   If you don't know how to do that then go and learn, simple.

Dave Taylor gb.png

If you are talking business jets (instead of airliners) you have the Garmin units to choose from, and in that case, I would vote for the Flight1 GTN units (replacement for the RXP GNS units).

Bert

Why are we mostly limited to airliners as the only aircraft with fully modelled FMS? Some, like myself, fly mostly GA and business jets, yet would much rather have a fully modelled FMS/Nav suite or G1000 over default GPS any day. For the most part we are stuck with business jets that look nice but are lacking in the FMS category. Right now we have the ESDG Citation CJ1+ and Citation X and that's about it.

Todd

This is what's known as a "loaded question." What about complex GA aircraft using a custom GPS?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The main reason for this poll is to see whether simmers want a simplified way of navigating by using the default FSX GPS that is integrated into an addon aircraft or would they rather that the aircraft have a fully functional FMS or GPS system (G430 etc).

Some developers have taken the approach of developing products that have a number of systems properly simulated, but when it comes to the FMS/GPS, they choose to use the default FSX GPS as a basis for the navigation system they included. I am not saying that they shouldn't do this since each developer has the right to do what they think is right or best for them. But the real question is whether or not simmer actually prefer this approach?

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Have them both and have a button selectors along each one to choose your preference.

Cheers,

There is a call for both types as some people dont want the full simulated package and this is where products like Justflights F-Light range would come in as it uses the default fight planner for creating flights so you can a complex aircraft simple like the Cessna that comes with fsx.

I prefer the complex aircraft.

-Paul-

I guess the "have both and choose from flight to flight which to use" option is extremely hard to implement correctly and optimize it for good performance, but that is what I would prefer. Since that is not really an option, I have to use different aircraft with different levels of complexity, depending on how much time I can afford to spend on preflight etc.