Sign in to follow this  
Hockeynt

FSX reliant on CPU or graphics cards

Hi,

I currently am using an AMD FX 8120 eight-core processor 3.1ghz and I have a AMD Radeon HD 7670 2GB graphics card. I am looking to switch one for a better one either an intel processor with 3.4ghz or NVIDIA 760. Which should I get if I want better performance? I get good FPS just lags in dense areas and would like to improve visuals. Please put input. Does FSX RELY/PERFORM better with a good CPU or Graphics card?

Definitely CPU.. however, get a 4.0 Ghz CPU like the i7-4790K if you want to see better performance.

Bert

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Really wow I would have thought the opposite. So will I see a huge performance increase? Where can I buy the one you recommended?

Really wow I would have thought the opposite. So will I see a huge performance increase? Where can I buy the one you recommended?

The difference in my system; old AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz with 2 GB ram vs new Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell Quad-Core 3.9GHz with 8 GB ram, amounted to about 10 FPS. Realize that by changing from AMD to Intel you will also need to change your motherboard and possibly your power supply.

Oh ok not worth it I just need a quick fix I already get 20-30fps when locked with the NGX. Thanks anyaays

Sorry will I at least see an improvement when switching to a better graphics card?

As you can see in my PC specs the video card I use is an old BFG Tech GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB which I moved to the new system from the old one. How much better a contempory video card would be, I'm unable to remark about at this time.

It must be noted that the main reason for me upgrading to a newer system was to support my guitar amp modeling software. In this case the newer system really blows the old one away! Note that guitar amps and effects VST's work just as well with the integrated video than with an addon video card; which is why I stuck with the old 9600 GT.

When it comes to FSX, your system should be balanced so that one hardware component compliments the other.

Your video card should reflect the potential performance of your CPU, i.e. a 4790k + a GTX 400 series 1.5g GPU is a waste of a good CPU. Similarly, a GTX 700 series 4g GPU + 2.6 Ghz dual core CPU is a waste of a good GPU.

Before I saved my pennies and upgraded to my present 4g GTX 770, I was using a 1.5g GTX 580 with my 3570k and the performance difference is night and day.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have a too of the line amd but CPU and a decent graphics card but want to make my graphics card top of the line so I'll probably just get the NVIDIA 760. Is that a good idea?

No, I don't think so..  not for FSX.

BTW, the 760 is a mid-line card, not a top card.

Bert

FSX is almost entirely about CPU. Case in point - I just got a 6GB GTX 780 last month. Basically zero difference in FSX over the GTX 570 I was using prior because I didn't upgrade the CPU. If FSX were heavily GPU based I'd have seen massive gains in it like I did in BF4, Titanfall, Crysis 3 etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I run at one monitor and 760gtx gpu with 3570k. I was running 3 monitors I would upgrade to 780gtx. Midrange card 760 gtx design for 1080p with AA 4x with 770 gtx crank up the AA and further reduce jagged lines good at 1440p, and 780 gtx getting toward the high end cards. Get cpu the i7 4790k is the item would get. I think fsx will never be maxed out. Still, it come long way from 2006 when fsx came out.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.