Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Brighter night light textures?

Guest David Lee 2

Does anyone know if there are brighter night textures available? First it took me forever to get the night scenery dark enough but now it is too dark. Actually the new video drivers I installed made this worse but they are great in every other regard that I don't want to change them. ThanksDavid

Hi, David.This may not be what you want, but it may help until you get something else.A while back I modified some textures of the highways and a fellow by the name Jimmiy? repackaged it and uploaded it here at AVSIM. I think the name of the file is

I like the night textures included with night_winter_textures.zip by Adam Mills - see attachment.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest David Lee 2

Those are nice, Bruce, but it looks like you have the same problem I do. The textures tail off pretty quickly in the distance. In the real world you can see large cities from a hundred miles or more on a clear night. The default textures, I believe, captured that but were deficient in other ways. Thanks for sharing these though. I will give them a try.David

The author of these night textures comments "I think these new textures are better than the default texures but there is still room for much improvement - if anything these are a little too dark when viewed from higher altitudes. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to increase the brightness without altering the colours." So this brightness thing is not that easy to fix.The roads fix mentioned above is interesting but if this is installed do all roads look like motorway traffic jams at night? I'm after night road textures that have lots of traffic lights in cities and on major highways but very few lights everywhere else.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hi.>The roads fix mentioned above is interesting but if this is installed do all roads look like motorway traffic jams at night?

Looks kinda backwards from what I'm used to seeing. Usually the roads are dark voids with bright "blocks" between. Looks good though. Do the runways hide in them like in real life? Most people don't realize that even the high-intensity runway lights seem dim compared to the rest of the lights in the city. Pasco was a fun one to find one of my night cross countries, I had a hard enough time finding the airport beacon, then finding the runways among the streets was another challenge.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

My major concern with roads at night is that there is too much traffic away from cities with currently available night lighting - especially here in Australia where even on major highways in rural areas there will only be the occasional car/truck quite different to motorways in the UK or US for instance. The only time this changes is Sunday evening in winter when roads from the skifields are bumper to bumper. The Lax screenshot looks great for a major city though.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Hi.>Do the runways hide in them like in real life? Most people don't realize that even the high-intensity runway lights seem dim compared to the rest of the lights in the city.

Can textures be set for specific time periods, or just the 4 periods night, dawn, day, and dusk? Like say have from 5-8Pm show heavy traffic, and 8Pm-6am be fairly vacant looking?----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Hi, John.>Can textures be set for specific time periods, or just the 4 periods night, dawn, day, and dusk? Like say have from 5-8Pm show heavy traffic, and 8Pm-6am be fairly vacant looking?