Sign in to follow this  
nikitos_567

Joystic Ailerons + Elevators Twitch

Hi Flight-simmers,

I have a MadCatz FlyStick 5, joystick. In all my add-on planes, like PMDG, Ifly, Level-D, Wilco, etc.. The yoke and throttles keep twitching for no reason while on the ground, in flight and when autopilot is on.  My sensitivity with FS 2004  is all set to high and null zone of 0. I played with the settings and noting worked. I also have registered version of FSUIPC but everything there is by default. I have no idea what causes the twitching. When I disconnect the joystick via USB, the twitching stops. So it is the joystick that is causing the trouble.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

Nikita T.

Which axis? Rudder and throttles? The pots for these axis aren't good. Check if the wires for these pots are well soldered. In the meantime, start saving for a new joystick. The Fly 5 (and Cyborg X as called before) was a good idea that (sadly) badly executed.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Which axis? Rudder and throttles? The pots for these axis aren't good. Check if the wires for these pots are well soldered. In the meantime, start saving for a new joystick. The Fly 5 (and Cyborg X as called before) was a good idea that (sadly) badly executed.

It is Ailerons and Elevators axis. Why is Fly 5 joystic bad? I read all the good reviews about it?

I also read the reviews and that's why I purchased it 4 years ago (when it was marketed as Saitek CyborgX). As I said before, the CyborgX/FLY5 concept is a fantastic one (twin throttle, detachable stick, a little wheel that can be used as a trim wheel... should be a no-brainer if your budget is tight), BUT the build quality leaves a lot to be desired:

• The plastic feels too flimsy, and the spring is too damn stiff. The stiffness issue was solved with the help of some zip ties.
  • The zip ties also solve the problem you may get when pitching down... that the entire base wants to pitch down and you get no input.
  • The throttle/yaw pots (which look cheaper than the pitch/roll ones) got dirty very easily, and often the solder joints came off. Had to open the joystick each 3-4 months to clean the pots and resolder the wires.
  • These two pots are (I suppose) of a propietary design: I had an "accident" while soldering and melted one of the pots. I couldn't find anywhere in the city a replacement pot (it should cost no more than $1). Because of this lack of spares, I switched to an X-52.

In your case, the pitch/roll pots look better built, so you can open the joystick bottom and clean them with electric contact cleaner. Also, as I said before, check if the solder joints are OK, resolder if you have any doubt.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

In one of the fsuipc tabs there are three separate settings for spike removal, one for each axis. Have you tried enabling these?

I also have a very small null zone to filter out electrical noise at the bottom of the control ranges.

I also read the reviews and that's why I purchased it 4 years ago (when it was marketed as Saitek CyborgX). As I said before, the CyborgX/FLY5 concept is a fantastic one (twin throttle, detachable stick, a little wheel that can be used as a trim wheel... should be a no-brainer if your budget is tight), BUT the build quality leaves a lot to be desired:

• The plastic feels too flimsy, and the spring is too damn stiff. The stiffness issue was solved with the help of some zip ties.
  • The zip ties also solve the problem you may get when pitching down... that the entire base wants to pitch down and you get no input.
  • The throttle/yaw pots (which look cheaper than the pitch/roll ones) got dirty very easily, and often the solder joints came off. Had to open the joystick each 3-4 months to clean the pots and resolder the wires.
  • These two pots are (I suppose) of a propietary design: I had an "accident" while soldering and melted one of the pots. I couldn't find anywhere in the city a replacement pot (it should cost no more than $1). Because of this lack of spares, I switched to an X-52.

In your case, the pitch/roll pots look better built, so you can open the joystick bottom and clean them with electric contact cleaner. Also, as I said before, check if the solder joints are OK, resolder if you have any doubtI 

I wish I read this before buying it) The ONLY reason I got this joystick is because of the TWIN THROTTLE. 

In one of the fsuipc tabs there are three separate settings for spike removal, one for each axis. Have you tried enabling these?

I also have a very small null zone to filter out electrical noise at the bottom of the control ranges.

I have not but now I will try. Thank you for the info. Cheers

Oxana:

I second what Mr. Hernandez aid about using contact/tuner cleaner on the offending pots.  I had a jittery throttle for my number 1 engine.  A trip to Radio Shack and a couple of squirts of the cleaner saved me from having to buy a new throttle quadrant.

Best of Luck

Jim Elder